Stuart Carswell Signs

Just got this response from a 'well fan I emailed

I liked him but he never progressed last season after a good season the year before. I am not sure whether that was just down to injuries early in the season. Personally I would have given him another year in the squad. He is a defensive midfielder who breaks up play without ever really making a tackle. Tracks and covers well. Tidy in possession but doesn't have a killer pass. Possibly lacks a yard of pace. I don't think he is the worst signing you could have made. We could regret letting him go if you play him every week and let him develop. He never got enough game time for us last year.

This is definitely a position we needed a player for.

Goodwin was our only defensive midfielder. You need at least 2, particularly if Goodwin us suspended or used in defence.

I always hark back to the 80s but all the best sided had 2 hard working midfielders who got no praise and did the dirty work.

Cooper & Simpson at Aberdeen, Kirkwood & Stark at Dundee Utd, Black & Berry at Hearts.

Motherwell released a similar no nonsense player over 20 years ago. Did the dirty work, made the simple pass. He went on to join a second tier club, helped them win promotion then had a great top flight career.

His name was Mark Reilly.

Hopefully Carswell will be as good.

At the very least he'll be a decent squad player with all the top flight experience he has.

No risk signing, think this is ok.

I was impressed listening to Ian Murray on radio on Saturday and how refreshing to hear an articulate manager at Saints. He indicated that he wants to sign a few other players before the season starts and although the latest ones are not really awe inspiring, compared to Craigs signings last time of non league rejects, they are a vast improvement.

I may even be tempted to hop along to odd early game to see how we are shaping up.Good luck to Ian for the new season.

I was impressed listening to Ian Murray on radio on Saturday and how refreshing to hear an articulate manager at Saints. He indicated that he wants to sign a few other players before the season starts and although the latest ones are not really awe inspiring, compared to Craigs signings last time of non league rejects, they are a vast improvement.

I may even be tempted to hop along to odd early game to see how we are shaping up.Good luck to Ian for the new season.

You came in for huge abuse last season Froggie...

But you were spot on

You are certainly a better read than all the abusive happy clappers on this forum

If u r endorsing things so far then maybe we r in for a good season after all...

Strange one especially when you consider janes craigen signed for raith

Would def say that craigen is far superior and a goal threat. Whereas cars we'll hasn't scored in over 100 ganes. Should fit in perfect

Not the same kind of player.

This is definitely a position we needed a player for.

Goodwin was our only defensive midfielder. You need at least 2, particularly if Goodwin us suspended or used in defence.

I always hark back to the 80s but all the best sided had 2 hard working midfielders who got no praise and did the dirty work.

Cooper & Simpson at Aberdeen, Kirkwood & Stark at Dundee Utd, Black & Berry at Hearts.

Motherwell released a similar no nonsense player over 20 years ago. Did the dirty work, made the simple pass. He went on to join a second tier club, helped them win promotion then had a great top flight career.

His name was Mark Reilly.

Hopefully Carswell will be as good.

At the very least he'll be a decent squad player with all the top flight experience he has.

No risk signing, think this is ok.

This, all day long.

We never really replaced Hugh Murray and have muddled along ever since. Jim has flitted between midfield and defence, but when he drops back, we have had nothing solid in midfield. It's lunacy.

People try to pick midfields as if they were playing FIFA - all passers, no grit. People think Argentina were dragged to the WC final by Messi: they weren't, they were pushed there by Mascherano. That war of attrition in the final between Masch and Schweinsteiger was f**king magnificent. Roy Hodgson was mocked for voting for Mascherano as his player of the year, but he was exactly what England needed/lacked.

Anyway, I digress. Will Carswell be our Mascerano? Obviously I have no f**king idea. He probably won't even be our Hugh Murray. Burt if he's even vaguely in the same mould, then this is a great signing.

Edit: I noted with amusement the two posters on P&B who thought they were criticising Carswell when they said he 'always took the first pass he saw' and 'was never seen beyond the half way line'.

People said the same about Nicky Butt, and he was brilliant. Sounds ideal to me.

Edited by Magic Monkey

You came in for huge abuse last season Froggie...

But you were spot on

You are certainly a better read than all the abusive happy clappers on this forum

If u r endorsing things so far then maybe we r in for a good season after all...

Many thanks from a mere amphibian to a member of the undead, lol.

Carswell could be a very decent player to have, young and loads of experience at the top level in Scotland.

Some are moaning about him coming in but he's the sort of player that if Falkirk or Raith got him the same folk would be asking why we never brought him in.

Welcome to the fickle world of the Buddies Stu