St Mirren V Berwick Rangers 25/7/15

TopCat

Last time I was in Shielfield was a league cup tie that Gunni scored two in, late 80's or early 90's!!!

last time i was at a sts game in Berwick a fukcing seagull shat on my head as i crossed a bridge over the tweed. thank fukc we are playing them at home.

I've only been to Shielfield once.

This game and my Dad paid me in.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1978&GameID=1700

Last time I was in Shielfield (was in Berwick just last week!) was following this squad in the early 60s.

http://www.stmirren.info/id310.html

Check out the shorts on those leg ends... :)

My first foray abroad. A first round victory in the Cup... and yet I stayed TT.

Them were the days...

Last time I was in Shielfield (was in Berwick just last week!) was following this squad in the early 60s.

http://www.stmirren.info/id310.html

Check out the shorts on those leg ends... smile.png

My first foray abroad. A first round victory in the Cup... and yet I stayed TT.

Them were the days...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1962&GameID=880

Hah!

Toshie was the manager, I see.

Small wonder Saints got a result. :)

Team a few changes from that pic I linked to.

Tottie for Dandy, f'rinstance.....

I could spare the threepence, if you're selling it...

Huvnae got it. I will give you a shout if I acquire programme in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's hope we have signed a striker before this game, going to be along afternoon with Thompson upfront again.

Pointing for a ball down the channel and the man in possession thinking what's the point. He'll get a header and one that lands at his feet 6 yards out, which will lead to "see, see, he's not done" style posts and set us up for a season of "he got two versus Berwick" as a defence of his lack of goals through the season. I just hope he doesn't break down again, nobody wants too see him struggle through another season.

So based on the players who were not playing today they will all probably start so:

Ridgers

Naismith

Kelly

McMullan

Agnew

Carswell

Thommo

So 4 places up for grabs. Probably be Baird, the 2 Burnley boys if they sign and either Mallan or Gow.

I think it is tough getting the team you want with small budgets and as a result I believe we are likely to suffer Albans results early on. I hope we have enough to get a good start but you now have to say that hibernian and rangers will be heavy favourites as they appear to be getting their squads together. It's hard to compete they have more cash and we need.to scrape the barrel. To be honest we will do well to get play offs

I think this is a good chance for some of the younger players like Morgan and McLear to show what they can do, at some point during the proceedings.

You have to imagine that our back four will be:

Naismith Baird Kelly Conlan (if he signs in time)

In midfield we have far more options.

It's a toss up between Mallan, Agnew. Carswell, McMullan and Howieson to see who will start, if we go four in the middle.

Up front, if we go two up front, then it would have to be Gow and Thompson.

If we go one up front, then al five of the aforementioned midfielders will most likely play.

TBH I think the team that starts on Saturday will be very similar to the one v Bradford, which is hardly a prediction of Nostradamus' proportions, given our current squad depth.

I reckon the only decision to be made is whether we one or two up front.

Anyway, contrary to plumhead's assertions, we have plenty of players for our team, who should be able to cope with Berwick.

What happens in terms of players coming in and players going out, after the Berwick game, will be crucial to our season.

I reckon we need four signings, on top of Conlan and Howieson (if they sign), most of whom need to be experienced, to some degree.

Murray must get those signings right, or we could be in for a season of spectacular mediocrity.

Make no mistake, rightly or wrongly, in terms of finance, we are rooked, despite the sizeable cutbacks taking place in the background.

Ridgers will be in goals, just in case anyone thought I was advocating one of the defenders playing "backy in".

Edited by FTOF

Two days to go!

With season tickets valid and a 3pm Saturday kick off it should be a relatively good crowd for this one. I'd expect in the region of 3000 home fans... Anyone know how we are splitting that money with Berwick? Club going to be out of pocket I guess.

I imagine our team will be something like:

Ridgers

Naimsith-Goodwin-Baird-Kelly

McMullan-Agnew-Carswell-Mallan

Thompson-Gow

With a couple of trialists here and there. Like every team I guess, we are a few signings short of an ideal squad at the moment. That is still a first eleven with a lot of experience though, and it should be good enough to see us comfortably through on Saturday.

Personally, I'm a fan of this competition. Obviously it's 4th on the list of priorities for every team that enters it, but it's a good chance to win a trophy and make a bit of money at the same time. Winning trophies is what it's all about afterall. With Hibs playing Rangers it does open up the competition a good bit. If we win on Saturday we will be second favourites to win it come Sunday morning.

So it's all about getting though for me. Not really concerned how we do it, whether it's on penalties after a turgid 0-0 or if we win 6-0, it doesn't matter really. Just need to get ourselves in the next round.

It goes without saying, anything less than progression isn't good enough and would rightly result in questions being asked.

Saints 3-0 Berwick Rangers

McMullan

Thommo

McLear

Edited by TopCat