Steven Saunders

ronaldo

See we have Steven Saunders on trial according to the Record, anyone else heard this? If fit he would be a good addition but also think he'd be playing SPL if he wasn't always injured

But deemed playable for the Championship. Risky.

Worth a punt, excellent player.

Hasn't had a consistent run of games for five years, though, which is a worry. I'd sign him till January with the option to keep him till the end of the season. We'll be able to reshuffle quite easily at centre half next season, with Kelly/Goodwin/Naisy capable of filling in.

Edited by Murray7

My only memory of Steven Saunders is Richie Brittain going absolutely nuts at him for getting himself sent off after making two extremely similar challenges in roughly the same place about 10 minutes apart in the rearranged game a few years back.

Ideal in that he can play rightback, the big problem may be keeping him fit.

Agree that fitness is again the issue. Not sure why we seem to be interested in so many players who are a bit of a gamble. Gow, Barron and now Saunders. Having one guy who is a risk is fair enough but if and it's a big if, we end up with the 3 of them then it's a lot if the budget

If he hasn't got a offers elsewhere on the table, no harm in offering him facilities for the next few weeks, play him in a few friendlies, then see if he has came through it all well enough.

From what i remember, he had a very promising future whilst at Motherwell before a bad injury. Motherwell clearly seen a risk of offering him a new deal at the time and he has now had to try and build his reputation back up.

When I first saw Saunders play for Motherwell I was convinced he would go on to play at a much higher level, he had just about everything you would want in a defender. He actually won a full Scotland cap while still only 19 I'm sure.

He's been so unlucky with injuries though, and I'm sure County fans were saying the same thing when they signed him, i.e. he'll be great if we can get him fit. He really would be though and at 24 is probably worth a gamble if he shows up well in the trial.

Was it not Saunders who done Thomas reilly at fir Park a few years ago after the wee man scored the equaliser in a 1 each draw.

No , it was Hutchison !

Saunders injury nightmare began when he was playing at our ground !

Always wary of players with a poor injury record.

The likes of Twaddle (shudder), Dargo and Osbourne all spent more time on the treatment table than on the park.

Still, I guess the flip side is that if the lad is an excellent player the only reason we'd be in with a chance of signing him is if he had some baggage like a poor injury record.

If he shows up well in training and passes all the relevant fitness tests, why not ?