Jamie Langfield - Signs 2 Year Deal

I am not doing cartwheels at getting Dons 3rd choice goalie. With Baird at CH I am happy with shot stopping Ridgers

I think it's harsh to dismiss a goalkeeper with ten years top flight experience. Jamie will be coming in to help Ridgers & Wilks and all the other young goalkeepers at the club as well as playing himself.

I can't think of a goalkeeper who hasn't made some mistakes in his time. Jamie seems to be a popular whipping boy for some reason.

Can only be a good thing to have two good keepers on the books.

I think we need to remember that Langfield won't be coming straight into the team, especially if Ridgers keeps putting in performances like the one on Friday.

If you are being harsh you could lay some blame at Ridgers door for every goal we lost on Friday.

The first one he didn't come for the corner even through the cross was just outside the six hard box.

The second one was a very tight angle and the ball went right through his legs.

The third one he made a good save but then palmed the ball straight back to Shiels who put it in with his knee

I know that is harsh. He did make a couple of good saves in the game but I think it's a wee bit much to say it was a great performance.

If you are being harsh you could lay some blame at Ridgers door for every goal we lost on Friday.

The first one he didn't come for the corner even through the cross was just outside the six hard box.

The second one was a very tight angle and the ball went right through his legs.

The third one he made a good save but then palmed the ball straight back to Shiels who put it in with his knee

I know that is harsh. He did make a couple of good saves in the game but I think it's a wee bit much to say it was a great performance.

Extremely harsh, a very good save and a massive amount of bad luck for it to hit a player who knew nothing about it.

PS I also feel the first wasn't down to him, always easy to say about not coming but there was plenty traffic and, again, a serious amount of bad luck that it fell to a Rangers players feet.

The 2nd, could have covered his near post better and it probably wouldn't have went through his legs.

Edited by faraway saint

Nothing harsh about it, Ridgers is a disaster! How can you lose a goal at the near post (the 2nd) and then dare to ask for a wage as a professional keeper? The first two goals any decent keeper would have kept out. He cant take a cross, kick a ball or hold a shot. There isnae much left after that...

Thank christ a replacement is here.

Nothing harsh about it, Ridgers is a disaster! How can you lose a goal at the near post (the 2nd) and then dare to ask for a wage as a professional keeper? The first two goals any decent keeper would have kept out. He cant take a cross, kick a ball or hold a shot. There isnae much left after that...

Not so sure he's a disaster - actually thought he had one of his better games at Ibrox despite losing 3 goals! He can be a decent shot stopper. Distribution is dodgy... 100% agree he can't take a cross. In a league where a lot of teams will attempt to get down the wings and launch in high balls - I'll be far more confident with an experienced keeper like Langfield

^^^^^^^^^^^ No idea. 1eye.gif

Be honest... what was your assessment of Howard when he was with us as a young keeper?

Be honest... what was your assessment of Howard when he was with us as a young keeper?

Personally, I thought Howard was great with us.

I thought it was a huge mistake to replace him with Gallacher and stated so at the time on numerous occasions.

Howard was a keeper who commanded his area.

It was after Gallacher's arival that we started shipping loads of last minute goals because he couldn't command his box.

For me, that was one of Gus' 2 great mistakes.

The other was abandoing the long ball tactic at Hampden when Rangers went down to 9 men and attempting to keep possession.

Edited by nosferatu

Eh? Ridgers isnt a young keeper, he is 24!

Also this "decent shot stopper" thing does my head in. That is the bare minimum you expect from a keeper, its like giving a winger credit for being able to run, or praising a centre back for heading the ball. Some on here seem to think that commanding your box, guarding your near post and getting the ball out of danger are optional extras for a goalkeeper!

Ridgers seems to have a great attitude and comes across well in the press and on social media. He should use those skills to become an estate agent or something similar as he clearly is nowhere near good enough to be the goalkeeper at St Mirren FC.

ETA: sorry, 25.

Edited by Kemp

Eh? Ridgers isnt a young keeper, he is 24!

Also this "decent shot stopper" thing does my head in. That is the bare minimum you expect from a keeper, its like giving a winger credit for being able to run, or praising a centre back for heading the ball. Some on here seem to think that commanding your box, guarding your near post and getting the ball out of danger are optional extras for a goalkeeper!

Ridgers seems to have a great attitude and comes across well in the press and on social media. He should use those skills to become an estate agent or something similar as he clearly is nowhere near good enough to be the goalkeeper at St Mirren FC.

ETA: sorry, 25.

Comparatively young as keepers go and still learning his trade.

Not sure about you... but I find people improve better with encouragement.

Personally, I thought Howard was great with us.

I thought it was a huge mistake to replace him with Gallacher and stated so at the time on numerous occasions.

Howard was a keeper who commanded his area.

It was after Gallacher's arival that we started shipping loads of last minute goals because he couldn't command his box.

For me, that was one of Gus' 2 great mistakes.

The other was abandoing the long ball tactic at Hampden when Rangers went down to 9 men and attempting to keep possession.

Howard was average.

There wasn't much between him and Chris Smith which says it all.

I will be pleased if we sign Langfeild as Goalkeeper/Coach!

I don't think Ridgers did that bad on Friday! But anytime the ball went near him my heart was in my mouth!

If the defender's feel the same way that's not good for St.Mirren!

I would start our next game with Langfeild in Goal if he sign's!

I am not a Ridgers fan and really don't see much potential hopefully Langfeild can develop him!

Ridgers is fairly young but has now had quite a bit of first team experience he doesn't command his box is Ropey at Crosses and is not particularly good with Long kicks. His shot stopping is actually quite good!

I hope I'm wrong and he turns into St.Mirren's next Cambell Money!

But I doubt it!!

As I said I am pleased with Langfeild but would have been over the moon had we digned Sampson!

Howard was ten times the keeper Smith was. For goodness sake man.

Not for me he wasn't, he may have gone one to have a reasonable career down South but he was a bag of nerves for us.

Never felt even vaguely confident when he was in goals for us.

Not for me he wasn't, he may have gone one to have a reasonable career down South but he was a bag of nerves for us.

Never felt even vaguely confident when he was in goals for us.

Bag of nerves you say.

Hmmmmm

Now what could cause a keeper to be a bag of nerves... especially one who has gone on to show a fair level of ability?