Jamie Langfield - Signs 2 Year Deal

Hi Folks, I'm a dandy coming in peace since you're linked with two of our players..

You are correct in saying that Langfield, or "Clangers" as we call him, is not popular with the vast majority of fans. On top of him trying to engineer a move to the old ****, he's frustrated people with his inability to kick a ball, deal with pass backs, come for crosses or save a ball at his near post. He requested his own testimonial and the low turnout is definitely representative of how Aberdeen supporters feel about him. Is he good enough for the Championship? Yes - I'd give him a 1 yr deal and source someone better once you come back up.

As for Shankland, we're praying that it's a loan and not a permanent move. Shankland is highly rated by the fans here and has shown great promise as a striker. He's kept out of the team by Rooney and a currently on form Goodwillie, but there's definitely a quality player there. Unfortunately for him he just hasn't quite taken the chances he's been given with the first team here but the general feeling is he just needs game time and first team experience.

Good luck in your campaign this year, I'd like to see you and hibs come back up. All the best!

Thanks for that, Lost Sheep. All the rumours (for rumours they are) point to a loan deal for Shankland. It sounds as though he would benefit from regular match time, and we need a young, hungry forward given our current squad. It would be to the benefit of all parties, if it comes to fruition.

Here's hoping.

Hi Folks, I'm a dandy coming in peace since you're linked with two of our players..

You are correct in saying that Langfield, or "Clangers" as we call him, is not popular with the vast majority of fans. On top of him trying to engineer a move to the old ****, he's frustrated people with his inability to kick a ball, deal with pass backs, come for crosses or save a ball at his near post. He requested his own testimonial and the low turnout is definitely representative of how Aberdeen supporters feel about him. Is he good enough for the Championship? Yes - I'd give him a 1 yr deal and source someone better once you come back up.

As for Shankland, we're praying that it's a loan and not a permanent move. Shankland is highly rated by the fans here and has shown great promise as a striker. He's kept out of the team by Rooney and a currently on form Goodwillie, but there's definitely a quality player there. Unfortunately for him he just hasn't quite taken the chances he's been given with the first team here but the general feeling is he just needs game time and first team experience.

Good luck in your campaign this year, I'd like to see you and hibs come back up. All the best!

Fair enough with your concerns about Langfield. He really does have a good clean sheet ratio though. I wouldn't think you'd be 10 years and 300 games at a club the size of Aberdeen if you didn't at least have something about you. As bad as he is at everything you've mentioned, I've seen enough of him down the years to suggest he is (or at least was) better than what we currently have in all the attributes you listed aside from the near post thing.

Ridgers is not all that bad a goalkeeper, sure he has a way to go but the lad will get there, we have had worse goalkeepers over the years, but it will be no good for him or St.Mirren continually running him down. Another thing is the amount of bile posted on this site towards Cheesy contributed to his eventual departure it seems some on here want the same fate to happen to Ridgers, and then this would leave us with untried 19year old Dan Wilks.

Ridgers is not all that bad a goalkeeper, sure he has a way to go but the lad will get there, we have had worse goalkeepers over the years, but it will be no good for him or St.Mirren continually running him down. Another thing is the amount of bile posted on this site towards Cheesy contributed to his eventual departure it seems some on here want the same fate to happen to Ridgers, and then this would leave us with untried 19year old Dan Wilks.

I think there's a degree of "rose tinted glasses" going on here.

Our last couple of 'keepers haven't been without their faults.

Kello started off well for us, but got progressively worse. Anyone remember his contribution to our defeat by Dundee United?

Samson had many weaknesses, much in the same way Ridgers does. His miskick against Hibs and a "disallowed" goal that he chucked into the net v the blue bigots spring to mind. The latter should have stood.

Is Ridgers a great 'keeper? Probably not, but then again, we're not a great team.

However, if Langfield is signed, then it would be hard to see past him as first choice 'keeper.

Edited by FTOF

I think there's a degree of "rose tinted glasses" going on here.

Our last couple of 'keepers haven't been without their faults.

Kello started off well for us, but got progressively worse. Anyone remember his contribution to our defeat by Dundee United?

Samson had many weaknesses, much in the same way Ridgers does. His miskick against Hibs and a "disallowed" goal that he chucked into the net v the blue bigots spring to mind. The latter should have stood.

Is Ridgers a great 'keeper? Probably not, but then again, we're not a great team.

However, if Langfield is signed, then it would be hard to see past him as first choice 'keeper.

What I was trying to get across, is that there is no need by some on this forum to denigrate Ridgers by calling him some unsavoury names, because in doing so may very well lead to lowering the Ridgers confidence which in turn may lead to the team playing poorer and ultimately the football club in its entirety suffering. I accept that if Langfield is signed he might be the first choice goalkeeper, that's up too the manager, but in know way should that mean Ridgers is a poor goalkeeper and I do not think that is the will of me to a degree looking through rose tinted glasses.

Edited by stripey

What I was trying to get across, is that there is no need by some on this forum to denigrate Ridgers by calling him some unsavoury names, because in doing so may very well lead to lowering the players confidence which in turns leads to the team playing poorer and ultimately the football club in its entirety suffering. I accept that if Langfield is signed he might be the first choice goalkeeper, that's up too the manager, but in know way should that mean Ridgers is a poor goalkeeper and I do not think that is the will of me to a degree looking through rose tinted glasses.

I wasn't suggesting that you were looking through "the rose tinted glasses".

I was suggesting that maybe people thought that Ridgers was shite in comparison to the 'keepers that we'd had previously.

Edited by FTOF