Ashes To Ashes

Bud the Baker

Great bowling from England in what were helpful conditions but it's hard not to think Australia contributed to their own downfall by some rash batting - I see Geoff Boycott is finding it unbelievable on cricinfo currently, is it only two weeks since he was deconstructing Alastair Cook's captaincy? whistling.gif

Ah well another Test Match looking like it won't last into Day 5 - have any of the Ashes Tests this summer?

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just seen the news and it reminds me of why I hate seeing England win. It was the main headlines showing a red arrows fly past. The story lasted more than 12 minutes. They even went back to an Aussie bar in London to interview the Aussies. As I speak they've switched to the sports news and guess what they're on about the cricket again.

Just seen the news and it reminds me of why I hate seeing England win. It was the main headlines showing a red arrows fly past. The story lasted more than 12 minutes. They even went back to an Aussie bar in London to interview the Aussies. As I speak they've switched to the sports news and guess what they're on about the cricket again.

What the f**k do you expect them to do?

The Ashes series is arguably the biggest draw in Cricket and almost everybody had Australia down to win the series at a canter.

On this occasion, they've got every right to give a huge GIRFUY to those who wrote them off.

The Australians would be doing exactly the same, if they'd won after every man and their dog had written them off as no hopers.

Edited by FTOF

The Ashes series is arguably the biggest draw in Cricket and almost everybody had Australia down to win the series at a canter.

On this occasion, they've got every right to give a huge GIRFUY to those who wrote them off.

The Australians would be doing exactly the same, if they'd won after every man and their dog had written them off as no hopers.

I'd expect them to report this in the sports section not make it the headlines on the national news and have a red arrows fly past.

I'd expect them to report this in the sports section not make it the headlines on the national news and have a red arrows fly past.

You mean like when Andy Murray won Wimbledon, it was only reported in Scotland in the sports section and not as a headline? rolleyes.gif

Fair play to the Poms for celebrating a crushing victory and the winning of the Ashes, when Australia won the last home series in a whitewash it quite rightly led the News and nobody was complaining about it over here I can assure you.

Congratulations to England who were completely dominant in each of the three tests they have won so far, a great team effort from a side who were handed their arses in the Lords test and were undoubtedly under enormous pressure at Edgbaston.

You mean like when Andy Murray won Wimbledon, it was only reported in Scotland in the sports section and not as a headline? rolleyes.gif

Andy Murray beat all the best players in the world to win a tournament.

England only beat one team at cricket.

Yup, I read one article prior to the series (forget by who) which tipped England on the basis that they had drawn with NZ who were a stronger Test team than Australia but the majority view was that Australia would win. Haddin dropping Root before he'd scored in the first Test was a Thompson over the bar moment as his 134 was the best part of England's winning margin but as they say if your aunty had bails.................

Though it pains me to say it, congrats to England & Wales!

• 2 weeks later...

Final Ashes Test starts today with England (& Wales) going for a record fourth win in a home series against Australia. Both sides will be missing players for England Anderson is out and Wood is not certain to start not great news with series against Pakistan & SA coming up in quick succession, for Australia batsmen Clarke & Rogers are playing their final Tests and Hazlewood is out injured.

Another greentop will prob'ly have Australia's batsmen examining their techniques again, particularly if they're put in first - the toss will be important .

C'mon the baggy greens..................

England win the toss and choose to bowl. bag.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Made a decision not to make the same mistake I made for the Trent Bridge Test where the game was over by the time I got back from doing my business.....................

10 Overs - Australia 13/0 compared to TB when they were 35/7.

As I've said previously aggressive play has tended to bring positive results in recent times but I think this return to a more disciplined style has shown itself to be the correct tactic. spudnikconfounded.gif

Let's wait till after lunch and getrightintaethum.......boxing.gif

Close of play Australia 287/3 (79.4 Overs)

New ball due after two balls tomorrow morning - 30/40 minutes to see off any moisture in the pitch and then it'll be time for Australia to attack England's seamers.

Day 2 Australia 317/3 (90 Overs)

10 overs of the new ball and no wicket lost - letsgetrightintaethum........boxing.gif

Close of play Australia 481, England 107/8 (40 Overs)

Will Clarke enforce the follow on tomorrow - he's had a tendency not to in the past.

Day 3 England 149a/o and Clarke enforces the follow on for the first time in five opportunities as Australian captain due to uncertanties about the weather.

Day 4 England 7 wickets down and Australia have the new ball - time for you England (& Wales) fans to start yer rain dances.

Edited by Bud the Baker

The umbarellas are starting to go up...............

Edit - Play stopped for rain

As often happens these circumstance Broad & Ali playing anything that's there to be hit and getting the rub of the green, playing & missing, ballooning a chance over the slips etc.

As we used to say when Warney was playing - it ain't over till the fat boy spins!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Australia win the final Test by an Innings but lose the series 3-2.

Two sides of similar ability, both able to make big scores but prone to batting collapses playing aggresive cricket leading to big wins/losses and no real continuity.

England converted more of their chances and are to be congratulated but Australia will probably rue not picking Siddle till the last Test. Oh well life continues................

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 3 weeks later...

The last hurrah of an Ashes summer - the fifth and deciding ODI.

England 106/8 with Cap'n Morgan retired hurt so unless they can pull off a stunning comeback then it looks like the Aussies'll bag the one dayers.

However all in all a far better summer than was being predicted for England after their dismal World Cup and tour of the West Indies.

..........and then onwards to a spintastic series against Pakistan in the Emirates and then hopefully a walloping from the South Africans - although this is the one series when I'm a bit conflicted about not supporting England

• 1 month later...

Time moves on and it's the first England vs PakistanTest in the Emirates

The Pakistan first Innings is drawing to a close at 523/8, in fact they've just declared even as I type, could've been substantially less with a few dropped catches and Misbah getting a no-ball reprieve. England's spinners have the rather unimpressive combined total of 0/297.

England to face 23 overs before the close of play on Day 2..............

Day 3 Tea England 197/1

Match seems to be heading for a draw with Cook having made a century and the much maligned Bell toughing it out on 31. Still waiting for a spinner to take a wicket..........................wacko.png

Close of play England 290/3 with Bell missing out on his ton, don't see anything except a lapse in concentration to stop Cook rattling a double or even triple century tomorrow.

FFS - I go to the shops with Pakistan at 150-odd/5 and I come back and they're 173 all out leaving England 99 to make in what should be 19 overs albeit with light an issue - bet all those folk taking easy money on the draw are regretting it now!

Alastair Cook - after a tumultuous period between losing the Ashes (and KP) down under and the captaincy of the one day side he's rediscovered his technique and made a complete comeback. Currently twelfth on the all time Test run scorers list he's not yet 31 and as long as he's only got Test cricket to focus on I don't see anything except a serious injury stopping him going all the way to the top.

Draw - bad light stopped play!

Edited by Bud the Baker