John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

Where are you getting that from?

Go live in f**king texas and play in a sub standard league or stay in Scotland or England and have a crack at developing in to a EPL or Championship player? Should be quite easy for him to pick what to do.

Rather puzzled as to why you think life in the States would be so good?

Assuming that no-one in the UK were to sign him so the choice was USA with higher wages or Scottish Championship, which would you choose?

I'm bored with this now. I suspect this is a bullshit story about America it sounds like an agent is using coyle to sack interested parties into action. John had a good spell at saints and has talent but he hasn't progressed and crucially doesn't score goals which means no big team wants him. Sure United will pay him 500 quid more but I ain't convinced he is as good as we once thought.

Not in the least bit surprised to see Scottish clubs now being credited with an interest on the back of the well seeded MLS story.

Scottish clubs are in a better position to negotiate as any development fee from them would be set by tribunal if not agreed with Saints, making the outcome variable for the club, whereas an English club would know they would be working back from a £270K fixed compensation point.

If Utd were offering £170K it wouldn't be a bad starting point but I always doubt transfer figures quoted in the media, they are seldom anything like the headline numbers you read.

Ideally we get a few clubs into a bidding situation and we manage to squeeze a bit more value out of him. Either way hope it's done quickly so we can all move on as it is crystal clear that no matter what happens, he isn't coming back to Paisley.

Not in the least bit surprised to see Scottish clubs now being credited with an interest on the back of the well seeded MLS story.

Scottish clubs are in a better position to negotiate as any development fee from them would be set by tribunal if not agreed with Saints, making the outcome variable for the club, whereas an English club would know they would be working back from a £270K fixed compensation point.

If Utd were offering £170K it wouldn't be a bad starting point but I always doubt transfer figures quoted in the media, they are seldom anything like the headline numbers you read.

Ideally we get a few clubs into a bidding situation and we manage to squeeze a bit more value out of him. Either way hope it's done quickly so we can all move on as it is crystal clear that no matter what happens, he isn't coming back to Paisley.

The big problem is that everyone knows, a) John McGinn's situation and b ) our club's well documented need for funds. A bad combination if looking for a good deal.

Edited by stlucifer

The big problem is that everyone knows, a) John McGinn's situation and b ) our club's well documented need for funds. A bad combination if looking for a good deal.

That's why it would be good for us if we had more than 1 club after him.

We have very little leverage here as the player has made it clear he doesn't want to come back under a similar agreement to the one we struck with McLean last summer so its trying to maximise anything we can get.

The threat of the MLS is a complete red herring IMO, just designed to squeeze the club and to ignite some interest from UK based clubs. I don't think there is or ever was any chance of John moving to America.

Apparently Houston dont have any designated spots left in their squad anyway according to a houston fan/reporter over on twitter. Coyle saying hes going over to just look at the place. What would be the point if that story was even true?

What we should do is stay strong on what offer, if an offer comes in from utd. At this moment in time i would take anything close to 200k and make our losses tho we shouldnt bend over and let them take him for pennies.

If McGinn is worth £170k can we not just offer him to HMRC and call it quits?

Well, it seems HMFC are looking at him, so a minor tweak to the contract paperwork.... I'm not sure that he is the brightest star in the firmament, so he'll be none the wiser.

Apparently Houston dont have any designated spots left in their squad anyway according to a houston fan/reporter over on twitter. Coyle saying hes going over to just look at the place. What would be the point if that story was even true?

What we should do is stay strong on what offer, if an offer comes in from utd. At this moment in time i would take anything close to 200k and make our losses tho we shouldnt bend over and let them take him for pennies.

Totally agree. Dundee Utd just received £1.5m for Cifti so can afford to pay the compensation.

I think the best for all concerned would be a quick end to all this, he either goes to the US or a team here. In the lead up to the new season we want as much positivity as possible about the team. I hope we have been on the phone to Dundee United/ Hearts, whoever it is and striking a deal with them....I don't trust the newspapers and their guessing games and I'd like to think things have been happening behind the scenes.

It's their 8 International slots that are full, he's never good enough to be designated. They only have until August 6th for International signings, but even at that they wouldn't waive someone mid season for John.

I've stood up for McGinn 100% in the entire 'speargate' fiasco as he was within his rights to claim.

This, however leaves a rather poor taste in the mouth if I'm honest. It's clearly been manufactured to bypass the compensation system set in place to give clubs like ours a fighting chance when a player does come through and prevent them being poached. Clubs like ours need this system and it's shite that it can be clearly exploited like this.

Just like it was John's right to claim against personal injury, it's St. Mirren FC's right to receive the compensation due for developing the lad's career and to have a slimy agent and player bypass that via a loophole is a sore one to say the least.

Look at McGinn's position. With no offers coming through from UK clubs to pay the compensation (remembering that we really only get a meaningful amount from an English team-the comp is much less if he were to go elsewhere in Scotland) he faces the prospect of playing for us on the same or less money than previously, or going somewhere where the compensation is much less or even nil, or just leaving football. Without being faced with his choices we can't really judge him on his actions-it is never as black and white as it seems.

And, for all we know, the offer made by SMFC may well have been a derisory one that he was bound to turn down and was only made so that we could get the compensation if he went south.

And, for all we know, the offer made by SMFC may well have been a derisory one that he was bound to turn down and was only made so that we could get the compensation if he went south.

AFAIK to be eligible for a development fee the club has to offer a contract equal to or better than the one the player already had.