John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

From STV Sport...

Hibernian have agreed a fee with St Mirren for midfielder John McGinn - with the 20-year-old set to sign for the Easter Road club subject to a medical.The Scotland Under-21 captain - who has made close to 100 senior appearances - is a free agent having left the Paisley club following the end of his contract last season.McGinn will now join Hibs after the Easter Road club agreed a development fee with St Mirren for the midfielder - as confirmed by Alan Stubbs on Thursday.The midfielder spent a week training with MLS side the Houston Dynamo earlier this month, with Owen Coyle keen to complete a deal for the midfielder.However, MLS regulations on non-US and Canadian players meant the Dynamo's move for McGinn was ultimately scuppered.The 20-year-old missed the final few weeks of last season after being spiked in the thigh with a training pole thrown by Buddies captain Steven Thompson - with McGinn taking legal action.But the midfielder is now fully fit again and will sign for Hibernian subject to the passing of a medical examination.

Good luck for the future John, but I hope we pump you and your new team.

According to Radio Scotland news........St Mirren deny a deal has been done.

It's not a case of us getting a bit of cash rather than us getting Hee Haw if he went to the MLS, we've gotten rid of of our best young player for far less than his perceived market value, and weve managed to strengthen one of our rivals in the league.

Disappointingly familiar..?

I know he was poor last season, I know it's better than us getting nothing for him, I know he took/is taking legal action over spear-gate and I know we can't force him to stay.

Poor show all round.

Who knows perhaps Hibs will loan us a player to cement the deal.I know they are willing to let Stanton and Harris leave on loan.John in my opinion could do better here.He won a major honour with us highly unlikely to get one at Easter Road.

Nonsense. He'll win the Scottish Cup with them - if his deal runs to 2099.

Is it right that I feel bitter about this? Here is a guy that was developed by us, given everything he needed to make the step from youth to pro and given the opportunity in Scotland's top league! On top of that he gave zero in return last season, the amount of ball he gave away was shocking! Despite that he was offered the chance to redeem last seasons performances by signing on for this campaign! But he decides nope I'm off to better myself, not to a SPL or some English outfit but to frickin Hibs one of our main rivals this season! I am not usually one for booing returning players but I may just join in if it happens on John's return. Or am I being unreasonable?

Is it right that I feel bitter about this? Here is a guy that was developed by us, given everything he needed to make the step from youth to pro and given the opportunity in Scotland's top league! On top of that he gave zero in return last season, the amount of ball he gave away was shocking! Despite that he was offered the chance to redeem last seasons performances by signing on for this campaign! But he decides nope I'm off to better myself, not to a SPL or some English outfit but to frickin Hibs one of our main rivals this season! I am not usually one for booing returning players but I may just join in if it happens on John's return. Or am I being unreasonable?

I don't think so. As I was thinking earlier, a plethora of young players took pelters a few years back for lacking ambitions when they joined new Rangers instead of moving their career on. Hibs is not a step up for McGinn, as a young lad who has played his entire career in the top league, it represents a backwards step for him.

I don't think so. As I was thinking earlier, a plethora of young players took pelters a few years back for lacking ambitions when they joined new Rangers instead of moving their career on. Hibs is not a step up for McGinn, as a young lad who has played his entire career in the top league, it represents a backwards step for him.

Love to hear his comments when we pip them for promotion!

Is Hibs his only other option? I have seen nothing concrete apart from Houston Dynamos, having any interest in him. No clamour of clubs North or South other than a rumour (?) than Dimdee Utd were maybe interested. Bottom line is that if he was half as good as he thinks he is then he would have been snapped up by now.

Him and his agent have got themselves as good a deal as he could've hoped for. It says a lot for how he's rated within the game that the deal involves him playing in the Scottish Championship rather than the English version.

It's business for these guys but, as a fan, he's been developed by us, been given his chance at an early age but his actions in not signing a new contract means that we've received the bare minimum in compensation for his development. That must be a kick in the teeth to the club's development team.

He's not a legend, he's a guy who was a good player for a couple of seasons, was pish in his last and decided to leave. Booing him would give him more attention than he deserves.

Him and his agent have got themselves as good a deal as he could've hoped for. It says a lot for how he's rated within the game that the deal involves him playing in the Scottish Championship rather than the English version.

It's business for these guys but, as a fan, he's been developed by us, been given his chance at an early age but his actions in not signing a new contract means that we've received the bare minimum in compensation for his development. That must be a kick in the teeth to the club's development team.

He's not a legend, he's a guy who was a good player for a couple of seasons, was pish in his last and decided to leave. Booing him would give him more attention than he deserves.

Spot on. My problem is I have the will power of an ant. First tackle he makes and I will be booing to the point of collapse.

Spot on. My problem is I have the will power of an ant. First tackle he makes and I will be booing to the point of collapse.

Ants are actually quite determined little characters :P

They live for the Queen and they die for the Queen , quite loyal wee guys :D

ETA ; Perhaps by that analogy he should of joined Sevco ?

Edited by whydowebother

Don't care that he left but the continual manoeuvring has left a bad taste - going public with his compensation bid for being speared, the transparent Houston threat, failing to turn up for training.

He's well within his rights to do all those things but he comes across as a poor man's Scott Allan.

One good season followed by a bad one. I suspect he'll sink like a stone now the same as his brother is.

Agree with everything you say, but don't waste energy or a minute of your life being bitter. Football has changed. Long gone are the days when Dundee Utd could assemble and keep a side like Narey, Sturrock, Bannon, Hegarty... Now they are merely a feeder club for Scotland's only genuinely big club. Watching McGinn in a Hibs shirt will not only not bother me one iota, I'd go further than that - I genuinely couldn't give a flying fcuk. Imagine sitting at Tannadice this season and watching McKay-Steven, Armstrong and Cifcti ripping you a new arse.

McGinn (in my opinion) is not nearly as good as he (or his advisors) think he is. He has that 'step on the ball and turn' type of trick, but unlike Kenny McLean, was incapable of turning in quality performances in a side that was clearly struggling.

I don't wish McGinn any ill, but frankly, I really don't give a shit that he's offski. Anyone who puts in a dozen good performances will be away to someone anyway. 'Rangers run rule over.... insert name here'....

What St Mirren need is a team full of guys who are good enough to do well as a unit, but if we get an individual who stands out - even to a small degree - they'll be off.

Bye John - seriously, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Yeh, I think you are being unreasonable.

John McGinn would have walked into the pro youth set up of any club in Scotland. Other than maybe the Old Firm (Celtic certainly), he would certainly have been given the opportunity of first team football. Even at Celtic, he would at least have been loaned out to someone.

It was St. Mirren that was lucky to have John McGinn. We got the services of a top quality footballer on the cheap for a few seasons.

Considering the dearth of talent that our dreadful youth system has actually found, we were very fortunate to have McGinn's services.

As for booing him, that's part and parcel of football. Once he's away then he's the enemy.

he's been developed by us, been given his chance at an early age but his actions in not signing a new contract means that we've received the bare minimum in compensation for his development. That must be a kick in the teeth to the club's development team.

The club should have signed him on a longer term contract at an early age then surely?

As for "developing" him... I'm pretty sure that John McGinn would have "developed" regardless of which club he was with.

We got the benefit of his services on the cheap for a few seasons.

If our youth development team were able to find quality young players that we could sell on for transfer fees on a regular basis then there wouldn't be a problem. But they can't, so everyone is getting at John McGinn.

Let's face facts here. Our youth development system is a fecking disaster and needs cleared out from top to bottom.

Glad it's looking like the situation will end with us getting some compensation.

Facing a Hibs midfield featuring John McGinn doesn't strike much fear into me. He doesn't score many goals and became something of a one trick pony with his shimmy/spin on the ball.

He chucked it last season and feel we will be better off without him this season. He is no Kenny McLean, that's for sure.

The club should have signed him on a longer term contract at an early age then surely?

As for "developing" him... I'm pretty sure that John McGinn would have "developed" regardless of which club he was with.

We got the benefit of his services on the cheap for a few seasons.

If our youth development team were able to find quality young players that we could sell on for transfer fees on a regular basis then there wouldn't be a problem. But they can't, so everyone is getting at John McGinn.

Let's face facts here. Our youth development system is a fecking disaster and needs cleared out from top to bottom.

our youth system is rubbish absolutely no players are making it into the first team.

What a load of pish

We've had Naismith McLean Steven and John mcginn

Now we've got players breaking through that show just as much promise if not more in Mallan Baird mclear Morgan.

John McGinn would have walked into the pro youth set up of any club in Scotland. Other than maybe the Old Firm (Celtic certainly), he would certainly have been given the opportunity of first team football. Even at Celtic, he would at least have been loaned out to someone.

It was St. Mirren that was lucky to have John McGinn. We got the services of a top quality footballer on the cheap for a few seasons.

Considering the dearth of talent that our dreadful youth system has actually found, we were very fortunate to have McGinn's services.

As for booing him, that's part and parcel of football. Once he's away then he's the enemy.

Also a top quality footballer he played in an attacking role the majority of times in he played for us how many goals assists did he add? Wasn't great.

Mcginn was good because he's strong and gets stuck in.

Top quality? St Mirren to Real Madrid, no sorry, Hibernian in Scotland's second tier.

Top quality? St Mirren to Real Madrid, no sorry, Hibernian in Scotland's second tier.

He is a good player and I wish him all the best. His biggest problem is that he doesn't score goals. Maybe Hibs can change that. If McGinn scores the goal that stops Sevco going up, then he will be a hero again.

All the best son.

He is a good player and I wish him all the best. His biggest problem is that he doesn't score goals. Maybe Hibs can change that. If McGinn scores the goal that stops Sevco going up, then he will be a hero again.

All the best son.

Aye, he's a good player. Good enough for a gig at St Mirren - and I don't mean that as a put-down of the club I support. However, he's moving to Hibs. Not even a sniff of the type of move a McArthur or McCarthy got.

Says a lot I reckon.