John Mcginn - Out Of Contract, Away, Farewell, Jacks Grandson Thread.

Thank f**k for that. I'm less worried about playing McGinn next season than I was about playing Gowser when we let him leave.

Now let's move on, strengthen the squad, and concentrate on finishing above Hibs next season.

Amen to that.

I'm glad it's over.

Amen to that.

I'm glad it's over.

Carswell, Agnew and Mallan should be working on their piggy in the middle. Might just draw out one of those sneaky fouls McGinn would get away with. A wee booking, some booing and laughter, then a red as the striker his fee pays for gets the winner.

Good luck to John. He had one and a half really good seasons and one really bad, who knows how he will turn out. Wouldn't surprise me if ended up playing at a decent level in England, also wouldn't surprise me if he ends up kicking around the Scottish game for the rest of his career.

In 12/13 he broke into the team and immediately looked very impressive, his performances in the semi final win over Celtic and final win over Hearts were particularly memorable. In 13/14 he rightly swept up at our POTY awards and his stock was high.

In 14/15 he was meant to kick on and become a real lynchpin of the team as an established, relatively experienced senior player.

He started pretty much every game in his favoured position of centre mid and did pretty much nothing all season. No goals, no assists, nothing at all really, he was pretty anonymous all season. He was a real let down and when we needed our big players to stand up before the split against County and Motherwell he hid and looked like he wasn't interested.

Anyway, wish him all the best. As with the other ten players who started the cup final, he will remain a Saints legend.

I also think the compensation system is a bit of a joke and this shows it up really. Personally I would do away with it and have freedom of movement for all out of contract players.

Sincerely, no ill will to the boy, but I've forgotten about him already. I want to see what Scotty Aggie Agnew, Gow, Carswell, Thommo' and everyone else who IS in a Saints shirt can do. I predict McGinn's return will neither illicit mega-booing, or a huge 'Paul Dummet' good welcome.... Meh.

McGinn? Christ, I'm still cut-up about McAvennie, Clarke, McGarvey, MacDougall, Torfason and Ferguson leaving us.... McGinn doesn't even come into the same league.

You missed Billy Mehmet!

I liked Mehmet, Dorman, Sutton, Gowser, Tesselaar was decent too - could go on all day about decent or even half-decent players who left and needed replaced. It's a constant merry-go-round.

Looking now at some of the utter shite who followed him, hell, Gareth Wardlaw was a player who left but at least did us a turn when others did fcuk-all.

Bahoken, Ball and Marwood - that's you, you useless cnuts.

Edited by pozbaird

Aye, let's hope we have a few more players to recall fondly in years to come.

A wee bit of signing news soon would be a tonic. That said, I think Murray has his heid screwed on, so I feel fairly confident that things will fall into place.

Aye, let's hope we have a few more players to recall fondly in years to come.

A wee bit of signing news soon would be a tonic. That said, I think Murray has his heid screwed on, so I feel fairly confident that things will fall into place.

Indeed. Gie's a signing. Gie's a solid signing who can contribute, be liked, be a cult hero, a trier, chips in with a few goals and gets his own song.

Too much?

A FOUR year contract with Hibs.... If only our board had that foresight when bringing through young players who have made the grade. I would give any young player breaking in, or joining the first team a five year deal, with some caveats (three years with the option of extending) thats how Dundee United and i believe Hamilton get the most when they transfer a prized possesion.

Be interesting to see how his career develops. When he first came into the side he was fantastic, mainly due to his work ethic and reading of the game to steal the ball off players toes. He was a good role model to kids, tearing about the park getting in the oppositions' faces and getting stuck in, without being dirty. I think last season he started believing his own hype and tried to be a player he clearly isn't, attempting Keoman cross-field passes or his infamous step-over and he lost possession more than any other player. He can be a really effective player, but isn't a 'footballer' in the way McLean, Mallen and the little I've seen of Agnew are.

Yes, there's little loyalty in football anymore and it is a job, but hopefully McGinn has the two brain cells to rub together or even the class to give a wee thank you to the team that he has been at since he was 8. His interview on BBC website sadly lacks this, but it might have been edited out. He's obviously delighted to leave us and will be on much a better wage(4 year contract too), but he must have some good memories and appreciate the fortune of lifting a cup with us at such a young age.

Time to move on and hope he gets a midfielding lesson against us this season.

I don't think so. As I was thinking earlier, a plethora of young players took pelters a few years back for lacking ambitions when they joined new Rangers instead of moving their career on. Hibs is not a step up for McGinn, as a young lad who has played his entire career in the top league, it represents a backwards step for him.

the backward step was St Mirren's relegation-he has clearly moved up in the footballing world now by joining Hibs. we were not a premiership standard club last season and are definitely not one this year

he was thinking of where he is, rather than where he was,

A FOUR year contract with Hibs.... If only our board had that foresight when bringing through young players who have made the grade. I would give any young player breaking in, or joining the first team a five year deal, with some caveats (three years with the option of extending) thats how Dundee United and i believe Hamilton get the most when they transfer a prized possesion.

Agent has probably asked for that length. If he tanks he's guaranteed a decent payoff for player. Does well and both club and player benefit, also agent, as will sell on. At end of 4 years player is allowed to move anywhere with no compensation at all as will be 24.

How are you going to make them sign - a mask and a gun?

We gave him a three and a half year deal when he broke in, 2011 to 2015.

We can't be giving five year deals to anyone, just isn't worth the commitment. For every one who goes to on to be a sellable asset there's going to be four or five who aren't good enough but end up hanging around the squad with their long contracts anyway.

Yes, and if he doesn't fit in or does not make an impact then they are stuck with him unless they can sell. Very few players get that length of contract unless you are top dollar at a top EPL side. We should not forget how much it has cost us to get rid of players on lengthy contract and who were failures at our club. Hibs have taken a risk and if it works out then they will have been proved right.

the backward step was St Mirren's relegation-he has clearly moved up in the footballing world now by joining Hibs. we were not a premiership standard club last season and are definitely not one this year

he was thinking of where he is, rather than where he was,

Hardly a huge step up.

Hibs weren't a premiership standard club last year, or this year, and may not be next year either.