Best Ever Save By A St Mirren Goalkeeper

Still think Gordon Banks' save of Pele's header in the 70 World Cup takes some beating

Campbell Money will surely get a mention at some point.

Campbell Money made a save at the Caledonia Street end against Hearts in 85/6 that Sandy Jardine compared to the Gordon Banks save after the game.

For me, Money in his prime was better than any other keeper we've had, and was streets ahead of most of them. You actually expected him to save penalty kicks because he usually did.

He really should have played at a higher level, and you have to wonder why he never got a big move.

One performance that stands out was Ian McCaldon against Dundee United.

Think we won 2-1 (renfurm and a Ricky pen?) and he came on for Scrimgour who was having a howler. Think we went down to 10 men, then Paul Rudden stayed on despite not being able to run.

We almost stayed up on the back of that game...

One performance that stands out was Ian McCaldon against Dundee United.

Think we won 2-1 (renfurm and a Ricky pen?) and he came on for Scrimgour who was having a howler. Think we went down to 10 men, then Paul Rudden stayed on despite not being able to run.

We almost stayed up on the back of that game...

If that was at Love St - Ricky scored both goals.

Who scored Utd's goal?

This was the game at the end of the season.

Edited by El Gingero

Not a saints keeper save, but the best save I witnessed live was while standing in the Kop behind Roughie when he tipped over Toshack's header (?) in the '78 World cup qualifying game v Wales.

Still think Gordon Banks' save of Pele's header in the 70 World Cup takes some beating

That wisnae the question.

Ludo's top corner save v Livi at Almondvale springs to mind.

That was the first that sprung to my mind, changed direction mid dive. I remember being behind the goals in that game, tears were streaming down big Yardley's face when he scored.

In fact did Ian McCaldon not make a wonder save in the relegation battle v United in 2000/2001? Pretty sure he came on as a sub and made one of the best saves I have ever witnessed.

Best save against us was Goram for Motherwell in a cup game. Pretty sure it was a point blank header going into the top corner and he still managed to tip it round the post.

that was the game we won 3-2 ?

I don't think so. I know the game you're talking about when Ian Ferguson scored 2 goals and Campbell Money had to go off injured.

However I think the McDowall pen save was a few years later in a game when we lost 3-2 and Les Fridge went off injured after Darren Jackson's boot landed in a very delicate part of his body.

I'm not 100% sure though.

Derek Scrimgour down at Cappielow, kept out a Rajamaki free kick that was heading straight in to top corner. Scrimmy was outstanding that day, I think he was just 17 and making his debut? Was more than a little concerned we had to throw a kid in goals for the derby but he really had a great match.

Utter pish every game after that of course.

Kello had a great a stop against Hearts in the last minute of our last game against them at St Mirren Park. He also was utter pish from that point onwards.

Derek Scrimgour down at Cappielow, kept out a Rajamaki free kick that was heading straight in to top corner. Scrimmy was outstanding that day, I think he was just 17 and making his debut? Was more than a little concerned we had to throw a kid in goals for the derby but he really had a great match.

Utter pish every game after that of course.

Kello had a great a stop against Hearts in the last minute of our last game against them at St Mirren Park. He also was utter pish from that point onwards.

Scrimgour got a very bad head injury outside football after that game

He was never the same after that

September 1989, we beat Celtic 1 nil at Love St. Campbell Money had been knocked out in the first half but played on and had a wonderful second half. In the last couple of minutes Derek Whyte smacked a header into the top corner, I think everyone thought it was in except Campbell Money who somehow tipped it over the bar, when it already appeared to have got behind him.

He was a terrific goalie, the best one I've seen play for Saints.