Trialists Update

Neither Conlan nor Howieson exactly set the heather on fire on Saturday but the manager has been working with them for a couple of weeks so he must see something in them to make them an offer. His standards with regard to trialists seems quite high going by recent comments attributed to him so I'm prepared to reserve judgement.

That means Rooney and that big striker have been released too?

Bit harsh, they only got 15 minutes each.

Surprised at Howieson being kept to be honest, Murray must have seen something in training. On Saturdays evidence I'd rather have McLear and/or Morgan in the team than him.

Oh, good news. I liked the look of him.

Strange that the statement didn't include that info though.

Indeed. There was only 5 trialists involved yeah?

The statement names 3 of them and says the rest - meaning the other 2 you'd think - had been let go.

But apparently 1 of them hasn't actually been let go...

What happened to the players Murray said he had identified as targets? All we seem to have is a revolving door for multiple 'trialists'! Shouldnt he know already know what these guys are capable of if they have been 'identified'?

I get you will always look at trialists, but normally they are players from outside Scotland that havent been assesed. It appears this is the only method Murray has to bring players in, and it is extremely haphazard and time consuming.

That means Rooney and that big striker have been released too?

Bit harsh, they only got 15 minutes each.

Surprised at Howieson being kept to be honest, Murray must have seen something in training. On Saturdays evidence I'd rather have McLear and/or Morgan in the team than him.

Agree with pretty much all of that, although Rooney had been with us for a week and I assume played against Oldham. I can only assume the striker must have been utter pish in training today (or not bothered to show up at all). Deciding he's not good enough based on a day or two at the end of last week and 20 minutes is a bit unfair.

Hopefully the trialists we have this week are of slightly better quality and pedigree.

I get you will always look at trialists, but normally they are players from outside Scotland that havent been assesed. It appears this is the only method Murray has to bring players in, and it is extremely haphazard and time consuming.

I am shocked and stunned that you've taken this news and applied an anti-Murray slant to it.

I Can't seem to get onto official site, anyone copy and paste?

"It has been confirmed that manager Ian Murray has held talks with Luke Conlon and Cameron Howieson with a view to signing following their trial period at the Club. Both players had playing time in Saturday’s pre-season friendly against Bradford City.

Thomas Reilly and the other remaining trialists who took part in Saturday’s game against Bradford City have been told by Ian Murray that they won’t be offered a deal by the club.

A further closed doors match has been arranged this week as Ian Murray runs the rule over a number of other players as well as helping the squad get game time ahead of this weekend’s Petrofac Training Cup tie with Berwick Rangers."

I'm glad the boy Rooney is getting another chance. When you see the other teams that have been mentioned as interested, he must have great potential.

Some may argue with Murray's methods on trialists, since there hasn't been many transfers so far, though I am happy we aren't just signing players for the sake of it. We have made too many mistakes in the past, so assessing players, rather than basing a contract on reputation is a far safer way to operate. As mentioned above, the boy Howieson has a few international caps and at one stage had bigger cubs looking at him, but we have brought him in, played him in a few games and assessed his pre-season fitness and ability.

One of my mates reckoned Conlan is still contracted to Burnley and its only a loan deal, though i'm pretty sure I read that both him and Howieson were free agents. Can anyone confirm?

Hopefully a backup goalie and a couple of strikers are next on the agenda.

One of my mates reckoned Conlan is still contracted to Burnley and its only a loan deal, though i'm pretty sure I read that both him and Howieson were free agents. Can anyone confirm?

Hopefully a backup goalie and a couple of striagenda.

Signed a one year extension last summer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2749669/Luke-Conlan-rejoins-Burnley-one-year-contract-overcoming-knee-problem.html