Trialists Update

But why would the boy change jobs for less wages than.he is on at the moment ? Good advice might be sign part time and finish his apprenticeship so he has a fall back career.

Shaun and I work for the same employer who has told him that his apprenticeship will stay open for him for two years in case the football career doesn't work out.

I already suggested he might want to go part time and he would earn more cash whilst completing his apprenticeship. His mind is set on making it full time so he might have to take a gig with the development side and fight his way into first team football.

Shaun and I work for the same employer who has told him that his apprenticeship will stay open for him for two years in case the football career doesn't work out.

I already suggested he might want to go part time and he would earn more cash whilst completing his apprenticeship. His mind is set on making it full time so he might have to take a gig with the development side and fight his way into first team football.

That's a very generous thing for your current employer to do.

I've no doubt he'd have a fighting chance of breaking into the side this season.

That's a very generous thing for your current employer to do.

I've no doubt he'd have a fighting chance of breaking into the side this season.

That's typical of my boss he's a gent and involved with amateur football and is happy to see the lad given a chance to make a career in football whilst looking out for him, should things not work out.

Shaun Rooney is playing for the development squad tonight at Ralston. He's working hard and willing to fight his way into the first team if that's what he needs to do. He's got a great attitude and with a bit of luck he can secure a deal.

Sounds like he has a great attitude mate, hope he gets a deal.

Shaun Rooney is playing for the development squad tonight at Ralston. He's working hard and willing to fight his way into the first team if that's what he needs to do. He's got a great attitude and with a bit of luck he can secure a deal.

I have no idea if the kid will make it or not, but the phrase ' Louis Van Gaal runs rule over Saints starlet Rooney' has a damn fine sound to it.... Here's hoping.

Is the developmental deal still on the table for him?

Shaun Rooney now training with Hearts. The club haven't spoken to him or his agent about any offer of a deal so he's moved on with his quest for a full time contract.

Oh dear. That is very poor given that the lad was here for two weeks. Disappointing way to go about your business, on the face of it.

Oh dear. That is very poor given that the lad was here for two weeks. Disappointing way to go about your business, on the face of it.

Indeed.

How much effort, or courtesy even, would it have taken to phone the boy up and say thanks, but we're not offering you a full time contract?

He played for the development side last Friday night in a 6-1 win over Vale of Clyde. Nobody from the club spoke to him after the game, he expected to hear something over the weekend but nothing. So his agent got the call for him to go to Hearts this morning. The lad is not bitter just disappointed.

He played for the development side last Friday night in a 6-1 win over Vale of Clyde. Nobody from the club spoke to him after the game, he expected to hear something over the weekend but nothing. So his agent got the call for him to go to Hearts this morning. The lad is not bitter just disappointed.

He's not the only one who's disappointed, I thought he looked like a good prospect. Poor show from the club to not even contact him.

The other potential consequence of this apparent failure to treat the lad with a bit of respect is that it'll hardly encourage others to make the investment required to come along and try things out at SMFC.

I'm far from impressed on hearing this.

Shaun Rooney now training with Hearts. The club haven't spoken to him or his agent about any offer of a deal so he's moved on with his quest for a full time contract.

That's very poor from the club indeed.

I'll be dissapointed if we end up signing that diddy Mark Wilson when we could of had a promising Raw talent in Rooney.

Not excusing what appears to be our Achilles heel re ineffective communication, I wonder if our manager is waiting on concluding deals with other targets to determine if there is capacity within the player budget to bring another defender in? Is there not a more urgent need to shore up our centre of defence?

Not excusing what appears to be our Achilles heel re ineffective communication, I wonder if our manager is waiting on concluding deals with other targets to determine if there is capacity within the player budget to bring another defender in? Is there not a more urgent need to shore up our centre of defence?

I'm sure you're correct.

However, couldn't the club have contacted the boy to let him know that this was the case?

If Murray sees Rooney as a development squad player who probably earns more money in his current job with other clubs interested!

Then he's right not to offer him anything whether it's 2 weeks or 4 weeks!

If Murray thinks he's not quite ready for the first team and has given him extra time for both player and club to make there mind up then fair enough!

I just hope Ian Murray has someone lined up 2 if am honest!

And not a average Right back called Mark Wilson!

Not disappointed But will be really pissed of if we don't have at least 1 central defender and at least 1 striker signed minimum by the time we go to Ibrox!

In all honesty, his intermediary (agent in old money) will be due 3% of the lad's contract so the least he can do is phone any club his client is on trial at. Maybe he was too busy telling Hearts how things were going.

I'm sure you're correct.

However, couldn't the club have contacted the boy to let him know that this was the case?

Totally agree and said as much in my opening sentence. No excuse for acting unprofessional as that reflects on the whole club. However, I would be intersected to learn why he was not given a contract if that is the outcome from Shaun's trial.