The Stadium

Seeing as we're talking about the stadium I found an amusing article from the late 1980s yesterday.

Talked about plans for a £30million new stadium at Love Street which would generate £1million a year rent. Because we'd have "one of the best Quality Street stadiums in bonanza country near Glasgow Airport", we'd no longer have to sell our top stars and would be looking for a place in Europe's elite. There would be a running track to keep Stuart Dickson happy and a source is quoted saying it would be the best thing to happen to Paisley and the west of Scotland.

Article finishes by saying we're only going one way - up - and is written by Alex Cameron "The man who gets it right".

So as Mr Cameron gets it right can any older fans tell us younger ones what this super stadium was like and why we ended up where we are now?

I was sure I hadn't dreamt that but was beginning to doubt my memory.

There was a picture of a bowl-shaped stadium in the Daily Record - a double spread too.

Can't remember what it was all about though or who was involved who thought this could ever have worked.

Edited by oaksoft

We had already qualifed for Europe by beating Dumbarton 1-0.

The headline was something along the lines of "Saints qualify for Europe but who cares?" to illustrate the small home crowd for that game.

You're getting your matches mixed up.

That's odd.

We finished 1 point ahead of Dundee with an inferior goal difference.

Dundee won their last game, on the same day 1-0.

We beat Hearts 5-2.

Had we failed to win that game then we wouldn't have qualified for Europe.

You're getting your matches mixed up. :P

I was sure I hadn't dreamt that but was beginning to doubt my memory.

There was a picture of a bowl-shaped stadium in the Daily Record - a double spread too.

Can't remember what it was all about though or who was involved who thought this could ever have worked.

I have vague recollections of there being plans for big office blocks because we were near to the airport.

The attendance at the aforementioned Hearts game was 4,817.

The attendance the week before, at home to Dumbarton, a game we had to win to qualify for Europe, with a side including McAvennie, Clarke, Money, Fitzpatrick, Abercromby, et al, was a mere 2,646...

Around 1,200 less than our game against Dumbarton on Saturday.

Those that talk about football dying in tho country really don't know what they are talking about...

I don't remember the old story about a bowl shaped stadium, but a newspaper definitely ran a story about us building what can best be described as a 'Tynecastle' style ground at Love Street. Four stands of equal size joined at the corners. Pretty sure my mate Michael still has the article in his collection of Saints cuttings.

Edited by pozbaird

The 2 stories I vaguely remember are Reg Baillie was planning to build a 25000 all seater stadium in Paisley.

I think if memory is correct he bought Darlington I think? They built a 25000 seater stadium and went Bankrupt!

The other story I think was when Hapmden was at it's worst and there was talk of building a replacement.

There were other sites considered for this but building at Love Street was one of the favoured sites because of its proximity to the Airport!

There was no substance to this story Hampden was upgraded and it was never herd again!

I was young so could be wrong on 1 or both these stories!

But I do remember showing my Grampa the picture of the stadium in question and saying to him Grampa we could be watching St.Mirren games in that stadium... His response was never going to happen !!!

One toilet and one pie stall for home fans in the west stand is a ridiculous situation, along with having fewer exits (meaning it takes ages to get out if you sit towards the back) it makes for a less enjoyable experience for home fans and actually gives away fans a better experience and this will be the case at every game this season regardless of whether the away support bring 10 people or 2000 people.

It is a decision made on saving money by keeping the north stand closed, but it's no problem to throw money at a bar that will cater for a very small group of fans? Poor standards of customer service.

Build a walk through pie stall outside, between the only 2 remaining exit doors behind the west stand and maybe a portacabin toilet next to the exit at the south end of the west stand and at least try to maintain the previous availability of toilet and food facilities. Those areas could be fenced off to prevent people escaping at half time snore.gif . Or put up a portacabin toilet and a portacabin pie stall between the west and south stands.

Seeing as we're talking about the stadium I found an amusing article from the late 1980s yesterday.

Talked about plans for a £30million new stadium at Love Street which would generate £1million a year rent. Because we'd have "one of the best Quality Street stadiums in bonanza country near Glasgow Airport", we'd no longer have to sell our top stars and would be looking for a place in Europe's elite. There would be a running track to keep Stuart Dickson happy and a source is quoted saying it would be the best thing to happen to Paisley and the west of Scotland.

Article finishes by saying we're only going one way - up - and is written by Alex Cameron "The man who gets it right".

So as Mr Cameron gets it right can any older fans tell us younger ones what this super stadium was like and why we ended up where we are now?

I remember a proposed move to a "superstadium" at the olde car factory site in Linwood around this time, sadly the details are lost to me.spudnikconfounded.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

I remember a proposed move to a "superstadium" at the olde car factory site in Linwood around this time, sadly the details are lost to me.spudnikconfounded.gif

Same memory I was on about.

I have memories of Scotlands National Stadium,with a satellite stadium for Saints,being planned for The Phoenix.

PS.It was definitely the Hearts game that gained our European place.

One toilet and one pie stall for home fans in the west stand is a ridiculous situation, along with having fewer exits (meaning it takes ages to get out if you sit towards the back) it makes for a less enjoyable experience for home fans and actually gives away fans a better experience and this will be the case at every game this season regardless of whether the away support bring 10 people or 2000 people.

It is a decision made on saving money by keeping the north stand closed, but it's no problem to throw money at a bar that will cater for a very small group of fans? Poor standards of customer service.

Build a walk through pie stall outside, between the only 2 remaining exit doors behind the west stand and maybe a portacabin toilet next to the exit at the south end of the west stand and at least try to maintain the previous availability of toilet and food facilities. Those areas could be fenced off to prevent people escaping at half time snore.gif . Or put up a portacabin toilet and a portacabin pie stall between the west and south stands.

Sounds like you chaps need a shite or two on your pitch to make it feel like home again.

I don't remember the old story about a bowl shaped stadium, but a newspaper definitely ran a story about us building what can best be described as a 'Tynecastle' style ground at Love Street. Four stands of equal size joined at the corners. Pretty sure my mate Michael still has the article in his collection of Saints cuttings.

That was more like what I remember - no bowl shaped stadium. Article was about 89/90 I think, in the Record.

41min 10 seconds, not a bad atmosphere eh ? Sadly we will never see such glorious days as this ever again, i was only 16 and will never forget that day or that seasonpunk.gif

We had a better day than that in 2013... Winning the first division was good, but winning a national title was far better.

Is there a better site than a full Love Street ?

Magic to see it full throughout Northbank with our fans :)

Particularly special during midweek games under the floodlights walking up the ramp , looking out onto the glistening pitch , a quick look round to see how full the place is , then the Saint come out the tunnel to rapturous applause as the Northbank Aggro get into full voice .....

Ah the days :)

• 4 weeks later...