This Seasons Captain

For me the captain should be a starter and finisher for most games. If Thommo is going to be in that category I have no real issues with him keeping the armband, however if we are likely to see him subbed at 70 mins every game then I'd prefer someone else.<br />

<br />

Kelly would be a good shout, but also noticed yesterday Agnew doing a lot of talking and directing through the game (perhaps his coaching background). I kind of agree about the comments re Baird being future potential captain as I think his reading of the game is pretty good (still raw with a few errors but he's pretty composed)

Thommo when he is playing. If IM can add strength to the attack Thommo may find himself in and out the team by the end of the season.

Yesterday i saw a very young but professional side playing. Boys like baird, naismith and mallan will push on this season and become the leaders of the team. I worried about this at first but after the game i left quite impressed at the way the lads seemed to control the game like they had been in the same team for years.

If Agnew was a little louder on the field id say he would be a perfect choice as the positions he got himself in all day he had the game sat right in front of him and seemed to be a calming influence by controlling the play.

My only worry with Thommo is that as time goes by and he finds himself being frustrated at young lads out running him the frustration kicks in and can have a negative impact. Still a legend though.

Kelly for me isnt a definite starter or the most gifted player. He should be cover as he can play in a few positions.

Mallan for a 5 year contract, buy out clause of 3mil quid and the armband by the end of the season.

Did Thommo pump your burd or something? You seem to be banging onwhistling.gif about him being "finished" in every other thread. We played our first game of the season, he scored a goal, had another cleared off the line by a hand ball and won most things in the air all day. Thommo is our captain and is a great player to have in our squad for the season ahead.

Do you mean this one?

https://instagram.com/p/5kuSBnS0_q/

Not bad from a player that's apparently "done".

Not deliberate handball so no penalty/red card

Check out the following explanation given by referees association as guidance for referees on "intent" and you should change your mind.

Regarding handball they now ask the referee to consider the proximity of the potential offender to the person last playing the ball, the speed of the ball and importantly whether the offender's arms are in a natural or unnatural position.

So the question of intent is now, did the offender deliberately place his arms in an unnatural position to increase the chances of the ball hitting him?

If the answer to that is yes then it is correct to penalise that player even though it used to be argued that was ball to hand.

Because a coach tells them to put their hand up?

His hand is up, you don't run/walk about with your hand in that position so it's not natural, therefore a penalty and red card

This situation is not about running/walking, its about standing on the post in the hope of clearing the ball if it comes in that direction. His stance on the post is textbook so completely natural

So if coaches told players to punch the ball when it comes into the box then that would also be no penalty according to your logic.

No. The coaches are not telling the players to put their hand on post so that they handball it. It's to make sure that they are always close enough to post. So they are not deliberately trying to cheat

When players make a wall for a free kick, the majority cup their baws. So if the ball hits their hand(while cupping baws), is that a pen?? don't be daft

This wasn't a wall, he wasn't protecting himself he was preventing the ball from going into the net by holding his arm out onto the post.

No. The coaches are not telling the players to put their hand on post so that they handball it. It's to make sure that they are always close enough to post. So they are not deliberately trying to cheat

FFS.

You must be on the wind up.