Will Mclean & Mcginn Be Missed?

We would certainly miss Kenny in the form he showed in the half season prior to his move.

McGinn,like many others last season showed pretty much zip..

Both Cup Legends but McGinns leaving shenanigans has soured it a bit for me.

Both gone, move on, new guys at our Club to become Heroes.

I along with others noticed that both were playing some pretty poor stuff last season, that is until the transfer window loomed (in mcleans case) then we saw a different player, Mcginn ? god knows what happened to his form last season. both obviously wanted away so no I will not miss them

I REALLY liked McGinn. Still do..... And I'm disappointed that he is gone.

Similarly, I loved Gowser.

McLean scored the odd goal but didn't have their work ethic or tenacity.

Gowser is a troubled lad. I hope he gets through that.

McGinn is young and will flourish. I have no doubt of that.

Both he and McLean were probably overdue a change of employer. It'll do them good: they'll develop and improve.

We'll miss them both, but Saints might never have got their best out of them.

C'est la vie....

Both he and McLean were probably overdue a change of employer. It'll do them good: they'll develop and improve.

C'est la vie....

Or as the French say: That's life...

Both will do well and fair play to them. Both should be remembered as League Cup winners. Yes their departures have been for less money than we would have liked. Yes other features have potentially left a sour taste for some, but it is time to move on a focus on current Saints...

Or as the French say: That's life...

Both will do well and fair play to them. Both should be remembered as League Cup winners. Yes their departures have been for less money than we would have liked. Yes other features have potentially left a sour taste for some, but it is time to move on a focus on current Saints...

Thought that was Sinatra........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhYchnDNfA

Edited by pod

C'est la vie....

Yes , Gowser was a joy to watch and although his game dipped towards the end , I still liked him similarly , I loved watching the quality of play that we saw from Gary Teale , he showed skill I hadn't seen in a Saints player for years . .

I remember McLean and Mcginn looking very impressive when they became regulars in the squad and Kenny was still sublime when he left . .

In fact , I still miss Billy Mehmet and often picture him taking the penalty against the tic at Paisley or that long range effort in the Cup against the jambosis. .

I always like my bit of history...

In the summer of 79 we sold McGarvey & Fitzpatrick. The following season saw us finish in our highest ever league position and come close to actually winning the league.

In the summer of 99 we lost 2 promising youngsters, McNamee & O'Brien. The following season we won the First Division.

C'est la vie....

McLean was one of the most gifted and accomplished players I seen play for St Mirren - probably since Paul Lambert.

I can't agree with the tenacity and work ethic argument. He was simply a different type of player, with a different mentality. In my view, he is the pick of the three. An all-round gifted player with poise, vision, and skill. All the tenacity and work ethic in the world won't top that when you watch a footballer go about his business.

It was an absolute pleasure to have watched McLean at his best.

Too late to talk about missing him now. Of course we missed him (past tense) - we are playing in the Championship.

I don't think the departure of McGinn will have anything like the same impact.

Edited by Drew

I always like my bit of history...

In the summer of 79 we sold McGarvey & Fitzpatrick. The following season saw us finish in our highest ever league position and come close to actually winning the league.

In the summer of 99 we lost 2 promising youngsters, McNamee & O'Brien. The following season we won the First Division.

So, in 2019 we'll be looking to sell two kids from this season's under 17s. Is that what you're stumbling towards?

McLean was one of the most gifted and accomplished players I seen play for St Mirren - probably since Paul Lambert.

I can't agree with the tenacity and work ethic argument. He was simply a different type of player, with a different mentality. In my view, he is the pick of the three. An all-round gifted player with poise, vision, and skill. All the tenacity and work ethic in the world won't top that when you watch a footballer go about his business.

Too late to talk about missing him now. Of course we missed him (past tense) - we are playing in the Championship.

Since we're already in the Championship

Well said Sir.

Totally agree.

For far too long McLean was an easy target and his "work ethic" was questioned.

I often likened this to the criticism a certain Billy Stark regularly got from fans. "Lazy" , "swanning around"... yet the first name on his teammates list of players they want in the team!

I said we would only really miss McLean and realise what a talent we had when he was gone. It is so.

My only issue with his work ethic was the transfer window turbo button that he applied to it. Transfer windows were his version of the DRS zone. "Well, I'm not chasing that or putting my foot in there...ooh, hang on, it's December isn't it."

Also, last July he was signing because Tommy Craig wanting him. In January, he left because of a verbal agreement. In my opinion, in July he actually signed due to minimal interest and the verbal agreement. That said, it's the sort of thing that happens everywhere and Kenny has done nothing wrong. As for McGinn, what would any of us do if injured at work...probably accept the raise we were offered to forget about it. John was pretty poor last season, only decent game I recall was at Dens Park. Would knows why it happened, did he just not want to pass to Wylde, Ball, Caldwell, Marwood, Drury or others. No doubt he'll now pick up again, certainly if he's not forced to play left side.

Since we're already in the Championship

Regardless.

Even had he stayed, I'm not sure that McGinn would have been a game changer (as McLean was) who would carry us to the top of the league - whereas, I said at the time and believe it still, had McLean remained at St Mirren, we could still have been in the Premiership.

Regardless.

Even had he stayed, I'm not sure that McGinn would have been a game changer (as McLean was) who would carry us to the top of the league - whereas, I said at the time and believe it still, had McLean remained at St Mirren, we could still have been in the Premiership.

Interestingly, there was a short period when I actually thought McGinn was actually ahead of McLean in terms of ability at a comparable age... but whereas Kenny kept developing and improving? John's development seemed to stall.

They were both playing in the same rank rotton team.

McLean is undoubtedly a skilful player and on his day can be a real asset.With Saints, however, he was very injury prone and in my opinion unable to withstand a tackle and a bit timid. We got a fair price from Aberdeen for him as i dont think he will be a success there.

McGinn, after initially breaking into the team looked the part but particularly last season when he was rotten, he showed he has no pace and because of this, prone to make late and unfair tackles. He wont make it big in the game either. So in conclusion, neither will be missed.

This is my own opinion, others may well disagree but I will not post rude comments regarding this.