Will Mclean & Mcginn Be Missed?

Well said Sir.

Totally agree.

For far too long McLean was an easy target and his "work ethic" was questioned.

I often likened this to the criticism a certain Billy Stark regularly got from fans. "Lazy" , "swanning around"... yet the first name on his teammates list of players they want in the team!

I said we would only really miss McLean and realise what a talent we had when he was gone. It is so.

Perhaps I was just unlucky in the games I saw him in.

Yes. Towards the end he upped his game (apparently - easy to shine in a squad doomed to be relegated), but I recall too many times in the middle of the park when I could have made more effort.

As I said above, I think both he and John will profit from moving on. He's already displaying that - with the Dons.

McLean is undoubtedly a skilful player and on his day can be a real asset.With Saints, however, he was very injury prone and in my opinion unable to withstand a tackle and a bit timid. We got a fair price from Aberdeen for him as i dont think he will be a success there.

McGinn, after initially breaking into the team looked the part but particularly last season when he was rotten, he showed he has no pace and because of this, prone to make late and unfair tackles. He wont make it big in the game either. So in conclusion, neither will be missed.

This is my own opinion, others may well disagree but I will not post rude comments regarding this.

McLean has already scored twice in European competition for Aberdeen, so he isn't doing too badly so far.

Brian Gallagher once scored a hat trick in European competition...

Good for him.

Ask a Dons supporter this morning whether s/he thinks McLean has been a good signing for them. At a push, I would take their view on this ahead of our amphibian friend's.

I along with others noticed that both were playing some pretty poor stuff last season, that is until the transfer window loomed (in mcleans case) then we saw a different player, Mcginn ? god knows what happened to his form last season. both obviously wanted away so no I will not miss them

McGinn is/was simply not good enough I am afraid.

I got stick for saying this last season but unless someone gets hold of him and gets it into him that he is simply a ball winner and midfield engine and he should simply win and lay it off he will disappear without trace. He cannot take players on, he cannot make passes beyond 10 yards.

Good for him.

Ask a Dons supporter this morning whether s/he thinks McLean has been a good signing for them. At a push, I would take their view on this ahead of our amphibian friend's.

Don't know any Dons fans.

Don't get your point either.

Froggie basically says he thought McLean was a good player. Just that he didn't think his level would be much higher than Aberdeen standard. That was my take on it.

I got stick for saying this last season but unless someone gets hold of him and gets it into him that he is simply a ball winner and midfield engine and he should simply win and lay it off he will disappear without trace. He cannot take players on, he cannot make passes beyond 10 yards.

I'd say that's a bit harsh, but he overplayed things too often, and latterly became a (when he could be remotely arsed) one trick pony.... literally one trick. I found that hugely frustrating. The lad has ability, but needs to mature mentally as a footballer or will be stuck where he is.

Anyway, he is now consigned to the club's history annals.

Don't know any Dons fans.

Don't get your point either.

Froggie basically says he thought McLean was a good player. Just that he didn't think his level would be much higher than Aberdeen standard. That was my take on it.

No. He didn't say that at all. He said he didn't think McLean would be a success at Aberdeen.

FFS, Andy, you posted it!

I agree with you, but on less harsher terms!

Said the same to a United supporting mate when they were linked, his best period of form was in a 2 of a 4-2-3-1 formation. He's not going to be that creative spark, but will go on to be a comfortable on the ball holding type...more Goodwin than McLean.

McGinn had a poor season last season by his standards but I believe he is an outstanding talent and will be a big success with Hibs. Last season he was only 19 and playing in an incredibly poor team yet some wanted him to emulate Messi. I personally am very sorry to see him go.

I always felt we played McLean far too deep and for a couple of seasons he was pretty ghost-like in my opinion. Teale knew he had to play him further forward and he was a great success there.

And to answer the question. We sure as hell will miss the pair of them.

Not sure I agree, last year was poor yes but he does have bags of ability. What he needs is to remember the game is about the team and not showboating. He only needs to beat a man once, once he stops over doing things I think he'll go far.

I raised this topic not because I thought McLean and McGinn were rubbish. In my opinion they were two of the most talented players to come through our development set up and I wish them both well with their new clubs except when in opposition to us.

However other teams in the SPL with less talented individuals amassed more points than us over the seasons both of them were involved with us. Murray seems to be signing the right type of player to fit into a team set up and if we can achieve better results without McLean and McGinn we will only be looking forward instead of backwards for a change.

I think we will miss them but we haven't seen the current crop of youngsters play over a season yet, it may be playing regularly in the Championship with a higher probability of winning will see us get more out of them than we saw regularly from McLean and McGinn. I think we'll miss the money we should have got for them both more though, but you can't make players sign contracts that are beneficial to the club.

Wow I think I must have woken up in an alternate reality this morning.

As St Mirren are currently overrun with fantastically talented footballers, letting two of our most highly rated young players leave the club (and go (in John McGinn's case) to a team [Hibs] that we are supposedly 'rumoured' to be competing with for promotion no less) should have no impact at all....

Great to see that instead of digging their heels in, sticking their head in the sand and throwing teddy in the corner like Hibs have done with their want away midfielder.... that St Mirren are happy to say "Off you go John McGinn; we don't care; we'll just beat your new team [Hibs] anyway!"

Makes me proud to be a St Mirren fan..[or ramble on incoherently]..Onwards and upwards...cool2.gif

Hopefully I will win the prize for incoporating the most cliches in a single post in history.......inspired! truly inspired!!

Edited by ds10

Wow I think I must have woken up in an alternate reality this morning.

As St Mirren are currently overrun with fantastically talented footballers, letting two of our most highly rated young players leave the club (and go to teams that we are supposedly 'competing' with for promotion no less) should have no impact at all....

Great to see that instead of digging our heels in, sticking our head in the sand and throwing teddy in the corner like Hibs.... that we are happy to say "Off you go; we don't care; we'll just beat your team anyway"

Make you proud to be a St Mirren Fan....Onwards and upwardscool2.gif

Hopefully I will win the prize for incoporating the most cliches in a single post in history.......inspired! truly inspired!!

I'm not sure about a prize, but you might be in with a shout for the most incomprehensible post of the day award.

I think we will miss them but we haven't seen the current crop of youngsters play over a season yet, it may be playing regularly in the Championship with a higher probability of winning will see us get more out of them than we saw regularly from McLean and McGinn. I think we'll miss the money we should have got for them both more though, but you can't make players sign contracts that are beneficial to the club.

Yes the biggest problem with McGinn and Mclean is that they got used to loosing