St Mirren Under 20's 2015/16

shull

2-2. Referee gave an indirect free kick for something. Free kick was blocked before the Motherwell striker scored from the rebound

Time wasting supposedly no one really knows what not even him I'd guess. totally bizarre.

Not a bad performance from the boys, an absolute joke of a first goal conceded after Conlan dithered on the ball. Fairly even in terms of possession first half but St Mirren more quality up front in Morgan and the excellent McLear.

Second half St Mirren hit the bar and had a couple of good chances not taken. Possession fairly even again. until the sending of then all Motherwell with saints dangerous on the break and looking likely to make it safe.

Mad equaliser. The ref actually knocks the ball out of Wilks hands and waves to the motherwell players to take it, who by the way also did not have a clue what was going on. First effort blocked but scored with the rebound. Still Mclear sees that justice was done.

Decent game tonight.

First Motherwell goal, defence caught trying to play short passes inside their own 6 yard box.

Equaliser was a sweet shot from the edge of the box from Lewis McLear.

Just before half time Luke Conlan (playing centre half - not lost out at left back!!) picked up the ball midway between our box and half way! He picked out one of the sweetest passes I have seen from a Saints player in a while, straight between the Well CH and RB for Jordan Stewart to run onto and calmly slot it behind the keeper!

2-1 Saints at HT

Into the second half and one of the most bizarre goals I have seen! Assist 100% lies with the referee.

Dan Wilks is penalised for holding onto the ball too long - ref awards a free kick and books Wilks. All good so far.

He than wrestles the ball out of Danns hands and places it at the foot of a Motherwell player who touches it to another well player who shoots, Wilks blocks the shot but the rebound is slotted home for 2-2!

By the time the ball hits the net, half the players are still around halfway, making their way to the Saints box for the free kick!!

No waiting for the refs whistle, no waiting till everyone is 10 yards back, just the ref placing the ball and Well scoring!!! Bizarre.

Thankfully Saints managed to find the winner when Morgan made one of many fast breaks and Mclear was on hand to tap in after the keeper parried Morgan's shot.

If Lewis Morgan could add finishing to his game, he would be some player. three times tonight he broke free from inside our half and got one on one with the keeper, each time he shot straight at him, luckily the third one rebounded out to McLear.

Good performances from most Saints tonight. Impressed with McLear in a forward role rather than midfield. Cuddihy did well in the middle rather than RB.

Conlan solid at CH, not LB. Morgan fast and tricky on the left wing,not the right!

Everyone else got pass marks except McGrath! Shows signs of being a decent player but too quick to get into 'discussion' with the referee and as for the petulant kicks at people...fully deserved to get sent off! He looked as if he was losing the plot a few minutes before the second yellow but thankfully going down to 10 men did not cost us.

Anyone know why Magennis was not in the team?

Agnew started slow but did come into it, He seemed to enjoy the more direct style the under 20's play.

Conlan also started slow and did look a bit scary in possession although as above a great ball for the second goal. Second half when it was back to the walls for ten men he never put a foot wrong. Not sure he was a stand out, although once again he seems to have improved. Every game I see him he looks a bit better although that is from quite a low base.

Goal from about 5.20 on this:

Didn't know you could get booked for holding on to it too long - you never see folk pulled up for it! Ref runs like an idiot too.

Ta for that, Stu.

I can see the punishment for time wasting, but not the bizarre, inept and arguably corrupt actions that followed by the ref.

I'm sure he regrets the young Motherwell players swift reactions but he couldnae permit himself to show that.

The McGrath booking was not unreasonable, though neither was McGrath's protest - given the circumstances.

With justifiable anger, the young Saints adrenalin pumped, their dander was up and their goal was justified - almost another followed.

They will have learnt to not be so sloppy in future. We hope.

Goal from about 5.20 on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxwiiSy6Do0

Didn't know you could get booked for holding on to it too long - you never see folk pulled up for it! Ref runs like an idiot too.

There's a 6 second rule,which replaced the 4 step rule,but I don't think I've ever seen it used.

The ref did everything bar celebrate the 2nd goal!!!

There's a 6 second rule,which replaced the 4 step rule,but I don't think I've ever seen it used.

The ref did everything bar celebrate the 2nd goal!!!

Aye, it's there but most goalies hold on to it longer than that and nothing is done. On the rare occasion I've seen someone pulled up I can't remember them being booked. Going by the time on the clock Wilks holds onto it for the best part of 15 seconds so he is pushing his luck, however the ref only decides to act once the Motherwell players start moaning.