St Mirren V Livingston League Cup 2Nd Round 25/8/15

shull

I was very optimistic pre season, I bought into Murray's appointment and had a great feeling about that season ahead. How f**king wrong can you be?

Tonight our relegation and decline really hit home for me. It's like going to watch under 21 football, our team has absolutely no experience, it's painful to watch.

We MUST pick up all three points on Saturday, no excuses! We MUST also sign an experienced centre half to play along side Baird. Kelly, who looked composed at centre half last season looks like he's a bag of nerves so far this season.

I predicted a playoff place for us this season, I might be correct, relegation playoffs are where we're heading at this rate.

Can anyone confirm if our manager has fielded the same starting 11 in consecutive games yet ?

Shocking refereeing

Shocking tactics from Livingston

Shocking lack of imagination / creativity from our midfield

Shocking lack of dig from midfield

Shocking tackle on Stewart

Shocking tackle by Langfield on Watsonoops.gif

Shocking pink top of Livi keeper

Shocking result

etc etc etc

Sadly the only thing manager got right tonight was in taking off Goodwin.

What I'm most concerned about is the fact that we're being bullied by other teams. That's Dumbarton, Morton, Livi and Annan to an extent whose players have been stronger than ours. That's worrying given the full time / part time differential. Our young guys particularly need to bulk up.

Particularly in the midfield area. We have nobody that put their foot in, be creative and generally take the game by the scruff of the neck. That is where I feel the game was won and lost in my opinion.

All told, we didn't deserve to go through, but Livingston are the worst shower of hammer throwers I have seen in many a year. Play acting, badgering the ref to try and get players sent off and the complete thuggery that was the assault on Jordan Stewart. Absolute scumbaggery.

Yes ref played four when eight was up. There is no structure or balance to the team they are a bunch of wee lads just thrown together. The defence is a shambles and our manager doesn't have a gameplan? I wasn't expecting miracles but against Dumbarton and Livingston at home I was expecting an awful lot more. We deserved to lose despite their cheating they passed it and looked much fitter. Generally we played a long ball and hoped . Honestly this team will get nowhere and we must sign older harder players not wee boys. McMullan being hung out wide with no ball is madness too . I know he needs time but it's been an awful start and our team if possible has got worse than last year

What bad luck. We were f**king awful. What our 2 center backs were doing for third goal Christ only knows.

Definite penalty nit given, picked up 3 injuries and Goodwin's booking was never a yellow card which eventually lead to him being subbed was what I was referring too. Yes I too acknowledged the glaring deficiency throughout but there was also bad luck.

The simple reality is like young Conlon the loanee he brought in.... Murray is out of his depth!

Tactically, naive. Completely lost in terms of organisation and planning to get a squad ready for the start of the season, he simply hasn't got it, and to be fair to him he has never had it, never demonstrated it, and probably never claimed to have it..!

We are seeing exactly what he achieved at Dumbarton, whereby he may..! Keep his side in the league, and so many on here praised him for that. But what kind of highlight on your CV is that???

That was really poor tonight.

However we aren't catching a break at present. Jason Naismith one of our best players injured in the second game and out for the season. His replacement is brought in and now he's out with a broken rib.

The players that we have identified as the ones we need are still not in. I have heard they're singing tomorrow every day for about the last fortnight.

Now none of the above is under the full control of the manager.

We were outplayed in the middle of the park tonight and without a shadow of a doubt that's where we lost the game. Our defending of set pieces was deplorable every corner they took they almost scored and their winner was just a free kick to the back stick where they had a man unmarked all on his own.

Carswell was absent when he came on. This allowed them a free run of the midfield.

I still believe that we can and will improve but tonight was horrendous.

Edited by Kendo

I am not a person that will put down the team or manager after 3 league games or single out a player for criticism which achieves nothing. The players themselves will know their faults as will Ian Murray, who hopefully will have a word with the players and give some of our younger players the help, which is badly needed, by bringing into the team experienced players along with playing the experienced players we already have at the club. ie Jim Goodwin, Thommo

I also prefer to be realistic and I am aware that sadly the team looks to be completely unorganised with no balance in the squad at all and are very poor tactically.

If Andy Webster wants a challenge then he will have to look no more, all he has to do is sign for us and taking a complete guess he will not. Lawrence Shankland was at the game and again I'll guess he will sign, albeit if tonight's St.Mirren game is anything to go by he won't. Lets hope Ian Murray has good negotiating skills.

Edited by stripey

I am not a person that will put down the team or manager after 3 league games or single out a player for criticism which achieves nothing. The players themselves will know their faults as will Ian Murray, who hopefully will have a word with the players and give some of our younger players the help, which is badly needed, by bringing into the team experienced players along with playing the experienced players we already have at the club. ie Jim Goodwin, Thommo

I also prefer to be realistic and I am aware that sadly the team looks to be completely unorganised with no balance in the squad at all and are very poor tactically.

If Andy Webster wants a challenge then he will have to look no more, all he has to do is sign for us and taking a complete guess he will not. Lawrence Shankland was at the game and again I'll guess he will sign, albeit if tonight's St.Mirren game is anything to go by he won't. Lets hope Ian Murray has good negotiating skills.

It will be down to money pure and simple, Murray cannot negotiate without a proper budget.

Organisation and having a game plan are key. I actually thought we started pretty well tonight and we scored a well worked goal. However, their equaliser seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and from then on we conceded the midfield and basically sat in which in turn invited Livi onto us. Our only tactic seems to be to hit Thommo with a long ball and to be fair to the big man he won loads tonight, however we are not getting bodies forward to support him as we are sitting too far back.

Same mistakes are being made every game and that is what needs to be addressed by Murray and quickly.

Our defending at corners is going to cost us massively.

Modern coaches for some reason often like everyone back and man marking.

I can tell that Murray has some faster players back defending but with instructions to break upfield at pace... but that is not enough and loses any advantage from a quick break... which Langfield is capable of launching.

Also... against teams like Livi or Hearts who are cute enough to use their own players to block the runs of our defenders resulting in them losing their man, a busy penalty box is just playing into their hands.

Keep two up and they keep three back.

That is five less bodies in the box, allowing the defenders to defend and the keeper space to command his box.

I know it sounds simple... but I cannot for the life of me fathom out any advantage for US from packing our own penalty box when trying to defend!​

Horrendous start to the season now, if we don't win on Saturday, even at this early stage the board should be asking the manager what's going on. Pre season was a time to get organised and sort the squad and formation etc, we still aren't anywhere near settled.

I though Murray looked like a decent appointment but it certainly doesn't at the moment

Horrendous start to the season now, if we don't win on Saturday, even at this early stage the board should be asking the manager what's going on. Pre season was a time to get organised and sort the squad and formation etc, we still aren't anywhere near settled.

I though Murray looked like a decent appointment but it certainly doesn't at the moment

I agree to an extent. That's 2 pre-seasons in a row that we have wasted. There are excuses, but we have not been in a position to hit the ground running again. We have a bigger budget than most and will be there or there about come May, but perhaps our biggest problem is the home support. Our record at home is dreadful over a long period of time. Everyone knows it and the atmosphere is frankly dreadful in Paisley. Until we can get a run going, I can't see that improving. The players must sense the gloom in the stands before a ball is kicked. It doesn't surprise me that we appear better away from the soulless stadium.

Well that was shit. Too many of the squad are too young and too many of the new signings are simply not good enough.

I was pleased at the start tonight that goody was playing and until he went off was the only player in our team making a tackle. However their players were hell bent in getting goody sent off and as usual goody doesn't help himself by making stupid tackles in the middle of the park that are unnecessary. Once he went off we completely lost the midfield.

Besides lack of quality there is a severe lack of experience, movement and fight in the team. No idea where we go from here except downwards unless we quickly get a balance and formation that works and with the bodies available that won't be easy.

Some of our fans aren't panicking.

Some are actually in heaven and celebrating that presently, we urnae very good.

Some are even more delighted than I was on the 17th March 2013.

Have patience.

We'll improve with Murray in charge.

COYS.

So a handful of games into the season and some of you cúnts are panicking already? You really want to take a good fúcking look at yourselves.

Did you leave your phone unlocked near Brian Caldwell?

There may be some panic, but the signs are there. We're holding out for a youngster and Webster, meanwhile Jim is being targeted by the opposition and will be every game, Thommo hasn't had a single shot, we're showing no fight and the creativity is dripping through. I can't imagine other sides are looking as poorly prepared. Murray needs to change his mindset, but he'll know that already.

Did you leave your phone unlocked near Brian Caldwell?

There may be some panic, but the signs are there. We're holding out for a youngster and Webster, meanwhile Jim is being targeted by the opposition and will be every game, Thommo hasn't had a single shot, we're showing no fight and the creativity is dripping through. I can't imagine other sides are looking as poorly prepared. Murray needs to change his mindset, but he'll know that already.

Thommo has scored, surely?

Do shots only count if referees don't make daft judgements on other players?