Steven Thompson

Played tonight for his experience, pure and simple. Hooked later in game changed for fresher player, always a game plan no doubt. Went a bit to shit with red card, but on topic, yes, we need to play higher up the park and get width utilised, otherwise, he is wasted in a lone striker role

That'll be because Goodwin was demanding them to not break forward. So, we sit back, we bladder it forward and then nothing. I just hope Murray learns and fast.

Goodwin was our best outfield player by a mile tonight. Edited by DLBud

He also needs some support. Something the midfield cannot appear to do.

Agreed to a certain extent.

This "one up front" gig is a hard task but his performance at Ibrox was shocking whereas last night, especially early on he was much better.

I thought he done what he could pretty well, his touch was better etc and all round game an improvement.

Ideally another sharp forward or the midfield need to be closer but last night we were humping the ball from deep and had no real chance for any support to be close to Thompson.

If we play thommo on his own he needs midfielders to play off him and beyond him for the knock ons. With goody protecting the back four Carswell and Agnew and to a lesser extent Howieson should have been playing closer to thommo depending on play but none of them did. Thommo often had 4 defenders around him last night but won most high balls. We need an attacking midfielder to support thommo if he has to play on his own. Agnew looks the best bet as he has a good shot on him but he plays too deep.

I don't understand the obsession with playing a lone striker nowadays. It seems to be a modern phenomenon, and might have its place, but last night was crying out for a partner for Thompson. The midfield was far too congested.

I don't understand the obsession with playing a lone striker nowadays. It seems to be a modern phenomenon, and might have its place, but last night was crying out for a partner for Thompson. The midfield was far too congested.

Our midfield is so lightweight we'd be best playing 2 or 3 up front and try and bypass them.

Problem is when we don't have the ball we lose the midfield area.

Modern football sucks.

The problem is that I don't think we can play both Agnew and/or McMullan in a midfield 4. If either of them play, I think they need a couple of players around them to defend on their behalf.

If they play, we'll likely go with one up front which means the striker ends up isolated.

Could we sneak a 12th player on and go with a 4-5-2?

We have to play 2 up front thommo holds the ball we need other striker feeding of his knockdowns. This isnt rocket science we are giving teams like morton to much respect. I would rather see us have a go and put defences on back foot. Do what killie did to celtic if you let a team settle then they play football come on murray sort it out .

• 4 years later...