Re-Sign Marc Mcausland

I'm sure I saw him sitting in the South stand yesterday - maybe he is staying in touch with things incase he gets a call to come back?

He was sitting with us on saturday - he is waiting on his visa to go and play in india. Some team in thier super league has signed him up.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned - cant be arsed reading through everything!

As I said at the time McAusland played more games for QotS than Innes did for St. Mirren, McPherson made his, by then customary mistake, when he freed a young player (McAusland) and signed a journeyman player on the downslide of his career (Innes), Lennon, whether by choice or circumstances got things right when he brought McAusland back.

There's no confusion in my recollection of events I'm just pointing out that your slavish devotion to GM has come back to bite you on the arse.

The number of games that McAusland played for QoS that season is completely irrelevant!

Customary mistake? Name me another young player freed by GM and replaced by an experienced journeyman who then went on to become a regular in the top flight?

Your last sentence also completely ignores the point of this thread. The fact that I think McAusland would be a decent back up defender in the Championship does not mean that I particularly rated him as a first choice in the Premiership.

That's 4 attempts now and all are complete fails. :P

The number of games that McAusland played for QoS that season is completely irrelevant!

Customary mistake? Name me another young player freed by GM and replaced by an experienced journeyman who then went on to become a regular in the top flight?

Your last sentence also completely ignores the point of this thread. The fact that I think McAusland would be a decent back up defender in the Championship does not mean that I particularly rated him as a first choice in the Premiership.

That's 4 attempts now and all are complete fails. tongue.png

As ever Cap'n, interesting but inaccurate in places and tangential to my argument.

The number of games played by Innes & McAusland in 2009/10 is relevant because it is one of the details we disputed at the time.

Replacing a young player with a senior pro who is no better can derail a career - Tony Bulllock for Chris Smith is another example.

McAusland wouldn't have been first choice for the 2009/10 season just as Innes wasn't - Mair and Potter were first choices!

Whatever you think of the situation all I'm saying is that you've called for the re-signing of a player whose exit from the club you gloried in at the time - and as I've said all along, with a player who was no better and, again, as I said at the time would undoubtedly have been paid more.

Keep it coming Cap'n! 1eye.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

As ever Cap'n, interesting but inaccurate in places and tangential to my argument.

The number of games played by Innes & McAusland in 2009/10 is relevant because it is one of the details we disputed at the time.

Replacing a young player with a senior pro who is no better can derail a career - Tony Bulllock for Chris Smith is another example.

McAusland wouldn't have been first choice for the 2009/10 season just as Innes wasn't - Mair and Potter were first choices!

Whatever you think of the situation all I'm saying is that you've called for the re-signing of a player whose exit from the club you gloried in at the time - and as I've said all along, with a player who was no better and, again, as I said at the time would undoubtedly have been paid more.

Keep it coming Cap'n! 1eye.gif

Totally disagree.

I didn't 'glory' in McAusland leaving first time around.

It is interesting however that so many of the folk who berated Gus for letting McAusland go then went on to berate McAusland himself when he came back.

As for Innes, IMO he was far better than McAusland and was a great player for us that season.

That's 5 attempts now and you still ain't getting any better...

Totally disagree.

I would expect nothing less

That's 5 attempts now and you still ain't getting any better...

Pots and kettles! lol.gif

Incidentally, Bullock and Smith were at the club at the same time and Bullock was signed as a replacement for the injured Craig Hinchcliffe.

So you got that wrong as well!

Hinchcliffe was injured at the time and Bullock was brought in as a first pick ahead of Smith, and as I said was no better - remember when he (Bullock) had to be substituted midway through the Dundee St. Johnstone game after losing a soft goal and falling to pieces?

Bullock eventually fell out with McPherson (whodathunkit lol.gif) and was frozen out of the club.

One of your weaker ripostes! tongue.png

Edited by Bud the Baker

I would expect nothing less

Pots and kettles! lol.gif

Hinchcliffe was injured at the time and Bullock was brought in as a first pick ahead of Smith, and as I said was no better - remember when he (Bullock) had to be substituted midway through the Dundee game after losing a soft goal and falling to pieces?

Bullock eventually fell out with McPherson (whodathunkit lol.gif) and was frozen out of the club.

One of your weaker ripostes! tongue.png

On the contrary, this example goes against your own point.

In the McAusland / Innes example, McAusland was let go and replaced by Innes.

In the Smith / Bullock situation, Bullock was signed as a replacement for the injured Hinchcliffe. Smith wasn't let go.

And Gus then went on to get rid of Bullock before Smith... and Smith wasn't very good anyway and didn't go to establish himself at a top flight club after he left us.

Fail number 6!

On the contrary, this example goes against your own point.

In the McAusland / Innes example, McAusland was let go and replaced by Innes.

In the Smith / Bullock situation, Bullock was signed as a replacement for the injured Hinchcliffe. Smith wasn't let go.

And Gus then went on to get rid of Bullock before Smith... and Smith wasn't very good anyway and didn't go to establish himself at a top flight club after he left us.

Fail number 6!

They are both examples of young players being replaced by senior/more expensive players who were no better than them, that's all I've claimed. The circumstances not being identical doesn't invalidate my argument.

Self praise is no recommendation...............

Edited by Bud the Baker

They are both examples of young players being replaced by senior/more expensive players who were no better than them, that's all I've claimed.

Self praise is no recommendation...............

So, you have 2 examples...

And in one of those examples, the older pro actually replaced another older pro while in both examples the older pro was better than the young pro they replaced!

In addition, there will be many on this forum who, like Gus, didn't really rate McAusland or Smith!

So, you have 2 examples...

And in one of those examples, the older pro actually replaced another older pro while in both examples the older pro was better than the young pro they replaced!

In addition, there will be many on this forum who, like Gus, didn't really rate McAusland or Smith!

Are you conceding Innes/McAusland then? thumbup2.gif

Whether posters on this forum rated Smith is irrelevant (and anyway when did these opinions matter to you?), what matters in this instance is whether he was better than Bullock. For the record Smith was a decent keeper until he suffered a couple of injuries and as I've said previously was absolutely faultless for us when he returned for the 2012/13 season.

Are you conceding Innes/McAusland then? thumbup2.gif

Whether posters on this forum rated Smith is irrelevant (and anyway when did these opinions matter to you?), what matters in this instance is whether he was better than Bullock. For the record Smith was a decent keeper until he suffered a couple of injuries and as I've said previously was absolutely faultless for us when he returned for the 2012/13 season.

Not sure what gives you the idea that I 'concede' Innes / McAusland!

Innes was a better player and we should never have brought McAusland back IMO!

And your talk on Bullock / Smith is irrelevant... Bullock replaced Hinchcliffe... And he was better than Smith!

Its been mentioned that we be about to sign Webster. When we sign him, are you suggesting that he can never play ahead of Baird or Kelly?

Not sure what gives you the idea that I 'concede' Innes / McAusland!

Your previous post where you said "So, you have 2 examples..."

Innes was a better player and we should never have brought McAusland back IMO!

Disagree.

And your talk on Bullock / Smith is irrelevant... Bullock replaced Hinchcliffe... And he was better than Smith!

Bullock replaced Smith in the first team so it's relevant.

Its been mentioned that we be about to sign Webster. When we sign him, are you suggesting that he can never play ahead of Baird or Kelly?

Yet another attempt to confuse the issue, if Webster is a better player then yes, but it's different circumstances from the two cases I've quoted so far. Relatively speaking Webster, a full international as recently as two years ago, has a far better pedigree than either Innes or Bullock.

My point all along has been that McAusland was a better option than Innes at the time and that it's was a bit rich you starting this thread given your role as cheerleader for the deals.

Edited by Bud the Baker

My point all along has been that McAusland was a better option than Innes at the time and that it's was a bit rich you starting this thread given your role as cheerleader for the deals.

Disagree with all your irrelevant musings in red.

Here's an example for you...

I think we were right to let McAusland go first time around. I think we were right to sign Innes. He was better than McAusland.

I don't think we should have signed McAusland second time around. I think we could and should have signed a better central defender every season he was here.

Now that we are in the Championship, I think he may be good enough as an experienced back up to Baird & Kelly.

Fail no. 8 and counting...

Disagree with all your irrelevant musings in red.

Here's an example for you...

I think we were right to let McAusland go first time around. I think we were right to sign Innes. He was better than McAusland.

I don't think we should have signed McAusland second time around. I think we could and should have signed a better central defender every season he was here.

Now that we are in the Championship, I think he may be good enough as an experienced back up to Baird & Kelly.

Fail no. 8 and counting...

We disagree with each other on many points - so what?

My original point on this thread was that you've a cheek to call for McAusland's return after cheering his exit during GM's tenure - everything else you've brought up since then has been to distract attention from this and not all of it has even been accurate.

Fail number 8nosferatu and counting - for you Cap'n!

Like I said above self praise is no recommendation.

Edited by Bud the Baker

We disagree with each other on many points - so what?

My original point on this thread was that you've a cheek to call for McAusland's return after cheering his exit during GM's tenure - everything else you've brought up since then has been to distract attention from this and not all of it has even been accurate.

Fail number 8nosferatu and counting - for you Cap'n!

Like I said above self praise is no recommendation.

Like I said earlier, I didn't "cheer" his departure, I merely agreed with it.

Agreeing with his departure when we were a Premiership club does not mean I cant advocate his return now we are in the championship!

Gordon Strachan got rid of Charlie Mulgrew when he was Celtic manager.

Does that mean he shouldn't pick him for Scotland now in case you dig him up about it?

Edited by nosferatu

Like I said earlier, I didn't "cheer" his departure, I merely agreed with it.

Agreeing with his departure when we were a Premiership club does not mean I cant advocate his return now we are in the championship!

I don't remember your persona at the time (gary blues?) being so neutral about McAusland's departure and replacement by Innes - so no.

Gordon Strachan got rid of Charlie Mulgrew when he was Celtic manager.

Does that mean he shouldn't pick him for Scotland now in case you dig him up about it?

Another flawed analogy - Mulgrew was a fringe player at Celtic and indeed spent another two seasons as a fringe player down south before establishing himself as a first team player for Aberdeen in 2008. He was also already established in the Scotland team by the time Strachan became manager.

The gap between Innes & McAusland was not clear-cut and their were people advocating both players.

On the Stadium thread you're arguing that the period since we moved to our new stadium (sic) has been one of the most successful periods in club history and yet you're arguing that McAusland a first choice player for a great deal of this period should only be back-up to Baird & Kelly, although to be fair you've been pretty flexible on the role you've envisioned for McAusland. 1eye.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 5 months later...

Left Dunfermline today, and Pars fans seem universally disappointed:

McAusland has left the club. Pretty disappointed by that, he was solid.

Off to play abroad apparently....pity....was outstanding for us sad.png

Clause in his contract allowed him to move to a foreign club if the opportunity arose.

He done us a turn by playing well below his level, wish him all the best. Was integral in us pissing all over Ayr over the last couple of months.

Strange one but best of luck to him - did us a real turn.

Seems he's going abroad after all, best of luck to the legend.