Steven Thompson Legend Simple

Most fans knew Thommo up front on his own, at his age, against The Rangers away from home was unlikely to work out well, so why didn't Ian Murray? Either he thinks Thommo is better than he is now (these days), or he reckons a fading Thommo is still better than the striking options he has signed so far.

If Thommo was in the line up to provide some experience, why was Goodwin left on the bench all game? Presumably Murray is planning to push Goody out the door by not freezing him out the starting XI.Murray has a few other options if he wants some senior pros in the team... he could turn to Gow (one of his signings left on the bench until the last 8 minutes tonight) or Goodwin, or he could have signed 1 or 2 new senior pros instead of taking punts on guys stepping up from other U20 sides and loan deals.

I don't think Thommo deserves any kudos for signing on reduced terms... any players left from last year's squad will be on lower wages, why should he be any different?

All tonight showed us was that it is fantasy to say that Thommo and Gow will score for fun in the Championship and bag 10-20 goals each. As predicted by many on the forum Gow may not even be a regular feature in the starting XI for half the season, making his re-signing another weird gamble we didn't need to make in June.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

so your giving up on him after 1 game?

showing ur fickle side m8 as with many st.mirren fans

all i am saying is be realistic

its 1 game ffs

Sorry, didn't I mention "most of last season".............................

I also didn't say I was giving up, there's a possibility he could be useful in some games, but I see these games as games we will be on top anyway.

I did say this was a difficult ask, but he's not up to it.

This should become an obvious decision for the manger who, I hope, see's that he will need to pick and choose games where Thompson plays, and could be more use from the bench.

He's not a 'lone striker'. He's better running forward with wingers/wingbacks getting the ball across. He's not one for back to goal and turning. If he's going to hold the ball up, there's no point it going backwards with no one running beyond him. He knocks it back, turns and runs. Sorry thommo, an oil tanker turns quicker. He's never been that kind of player, never. We need to play to his strengths. But he's slow, very slow. He's a box player, not halfway line, turn and run

don't know what some people expect ,he is there to win or at least challenge for long hopeful punts ,he cant run both channels but I would assume murray set the side up not to punt the ball down the channels for him to run into,but folk on here having a go at thommo ,try looking at the guy who set the team up all week yeah the same guy that must have worked on freekicks and corners ,or maybe murray planned to hit everything to the opposition keeper cause that's what happened but I cant see any posts about how agnew was shite and wasted 5/6 decent opportunities to deliver decent balls into box for said over the hill striker ,

don't know what some people expect ,he is there to win or at least challenge for long hopeful punts ,he cant run both channels but I would assume murray set the side up not to punt the ball down the channels for him to run into,but folk on here having a go at thommo ,try looking at the guy who set the team up all week yeah the same guy that must have worked on freekicks and corners ,or maybe murray planned to hit everything to the opposition keeper cause that's what happened but I cant see any posts about how agnew was shite and wasted 5/6 decent opportunities to deliver decent balls into box for said over the hill striker ,

Did you see Thompson:

A) Fall on his arse like Bambi

cool.png Fail to pass the ball 3-4 yards to his own player

C) Miss an important penalty that possibly cost us a point?

I'm not disputing the service wasn't great but it was always going to be a "hit them on the break" game as they were going to, and did, murder us on possession.

Not many dispute what Thompson has done for us but more are questioning what he can do in the near future.

Finished? Nope.

Our saviour, almost certainly nope. (Quick edit lol.gif )

Edited by faraway saint

I too thought Agnew was poor , but this thread is about thommo , I agree it's the manager who picks the team and thommo is just playing where he is told to , I think it's clear Murray has spotted that he needs more firepower and pace up front hence why he's also after shankland which will hopefully give completion for places , thommo will be fine against the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton but at ibrox he is definitely not the answer

me or you don't need sfa a licences to spot that we need more upfront ,but last week and even the week before we should have been playing a system that we intended to use tonight,but we didn't then expect it all to click into place ,murray seems to think thommo can hold it up and all these youngsters will then go past him into box but tonight it just didn't happen but I think we have enough pace from middle of park to make it work

Shankland is not fast not at all

It's not JUST that Thompson is getting slow, it's his all round contribution.

His passing is, on the whole, piss poor.

He can hardly get off the ground, especially in an attacking position.

His touch is, well, average.

I think the vast majority of supporters would love to see him have a great season, go out in a blaze of glory, I just doubt it will happen.

This is the mangers call and a real test of Murrays ability as it won't be an easy situation to handle.

Thompson will play 20-25 games this season if fit, and no doubt will score his fair share.

However when we play 451 and are surrendering possession of the ball, he should not start/play. Away at Ibrox, Easter Road for example we should go with the youngsters up front.

Perhaps this was forced on Murray due to the timing of this game and transfers still to occur.

When we are at home against lesser teams, and can dominate the ball Thompson will score plenty.

Well I for one won't be writing him.off and I feel he will score at least 10 this year

Aye, if we get 10 penalties, oh wait........................wink.png

As I said, most would hope so, although this has dropped from the earlier 15 predicted by some.

Early days and a difficult decision for the new manager who has to do what he thinks is the best for the club/team.

He's certainly the best Saints player I've seen in 20 years watching us. Three consecutive fifteen goal seasons... A national cup winners medal with superb goals in the semi and the final... What more could you want?

Yeah, he's the kind of player I will tell my grandchildren about. He will be our generations nostalgic hero.

He didn't have a great game tonight, so what. I seen him have similar games at Parkhead several times over the last few years. No big deal then no big deal now. He skied a penalty, so did Baggio. These things happen.

As I've said before, he stays fit he will score double figures this year.

Can't believe some are slaughtering Thommo. He played alone up top against 4 defenders at times. Yeah he's not as mobile as he was a few years back, but he will be vital for us when we go with 2 up.

Lone striker he isn't, legend and vital to our season he is, double figures will be achieved. We won't play rangers every week. Some folk need a reality check on here

I think what most people are saying here is fair enough on both sides. I don't think he is being abused/slaughtered/or forgotten about what he has done in the past. He is one of the best players we have had the fortune to see pull on the black and white stripes but he was terrible last night even without the penalty miss. After last season a lot of people are rightly concerned that we won't see the best of Thommo again, and I think they are probably right, based on a few things, his age, his injury problems and he's no longer surrounded by the Gowsers, Mcleans, Isma's, Teales, Newton's and Dummett type players.

We will see games this season where he is awesome and scores goals, mainly when the midfielders get close to him and provide good crosses into the box but there will be games where he struggles against a well marshalled defence and midfield where our midfielders do not make the break through.

I think we'll see him being used less as a hard worker and more as a smart worker. It'll be like when Andy Millen played his final season, some games miles off the pace and some games where his experience, desire and speed of mind will be enough to be the best man on the pitch.

When he's bad there will be some horrible things written about him, due to there being a lack the same class or intellect the big man has shown in his years here, when he's good there will be some people saying 'told you so' and 'people were suggesting he is finished, where are they now?' etc.

The truth, like most contradicting stories, will be somewhere in the middle.

Stay classy saints fans.

Edited by Hambud

Thompson will play 20-25 games this season if fit, and no doubt will score his fair share.

However when we play 451 and are surrendering possession of the ball, he should not start/play. Away at Ibrox, Easter Road for example we should go with the youngsters up front.

Perhaps this was forced on Murray due to the timing of this game and transfers still to occur.

When we are at home against lesser teams, and can dominate the ball Thompson will score plenty.

Spot on. He shouldn't be the lone striker anymore, however it's up to Murray to know that. If the manager says 'right lads we're going with a 451 and Thommo you're up front' he's not going to say no. That was arguably our toughest opponent this season. Thompson will show his old self against some of the smaller teams as the season goes on.

COYS.

He should have scored the penalty. It was a crucial time of the game and with his experience he knew that. So very disappointed. However that aside and the fact he was playing a very difficult role on his own up front, it is difficult to be overly critical. He did win a fair share of headers. Sadly any coordinated and concentrated attacks did not include Thompson and he seemed very much a bystander and didn't seem to be able to make himself available to run off or even play the killer pass and it's for that reason I would say that we need younger legs and a change upfront.

He's certainly the best Saints player I've seen in 20 years watching us. Three consecutive fifteen goal seasons... A national cup winners medal with superb goals in the semi and the final... What more could you want?

Yeah, he's the kind of player I will tell my grandchildren about. He will be our generations nostalgic hero.

He didn't have a great game tonight, so what. I seen him have similar games at Parkhead several times over the last few years. No big deal then no big deal now. He skied a penalty, so did Baggio. These things happen.

As I've said before, he stays fit he will score double figures this year.

One of the funniest moments I've witnessed in Football ever.

That wee greeting faced cnut had dived and cheated all the way through that World Cup and that was the greatest piece of Karma ever.

F*CKEM.

Anyway, Thommo will come good and steer us to glory this Season.

Too much class and ability not to.

I tell you what, if we were playing in this league holding on to a narrow lead, pressure building towards the end of the match, and the opposition brought Thompson off the bench I would be shitting myself.

I am delighted we have the big man in our squad for this season.

I am also furious the burden of scoring goals seems to be sitting squarely on his shoulders. Why no new strikers brought in until two or three days before the match? That job last night was not the one for him. I'd look forward to seeing Thompson and Gallacher up front together next week though (although is that possible with McMullan also in the team? probably not...)

He shouldn't have taken that penalty last night though, surely Agnew could blast them away from that distance with his eyes closed.

St Mirren supporters always seem to want the blue arsed fly Stewart Kean class of (useless) strikers. While Higdon scores 20 goals a season and gets called a lazy bastard! Higdon conserved his energy for when he needed it, attacking the ball in and around the box. Thompson can do the same and hit 15 to 20 goals this season. He needs to be used properly though, I hope Murray learned a lot from the first half last night.

Edited by Kemp

Did you see Thompson:

A) Fall on his arse like Bambi

cool.png Fail to pass the ball 3-4 yards to his own player

C) Miss an important penalty that possibly cost us a point?

I'm not disputing the service wasn't great but it was always going to be a "hit them on the break" game as they were going to, and did, murder us on possession.

Not many dispute what Thompson has done for us but more are questioning what he can do in the near future.

Finished? Nope.

Our saviour, almost certainly nope. (Quick edit lol.gif )

The best players in the world miss penalties. Thommo was behind McGowan and McLean in the pecking order. Not the best at penalties I remember him missing one against Dunfermline in his first league game for us.

Thommo has never really been suited to playing a lone striker role unless your midfield five include wide players like Teale and Goncalves who were turning the one up front into a three and getting delivery into the box. If Murray was planning on playing him in this role over the season then maybe he shouldn't have been offered a deal.

He needs delivery that he can go and attack. No striker likes to play with their back to goal 30-40 yards out.

Let's see who gets brought in over the next couple of weeks and what the shape of the team is at the end of Aug before writing him off. His legs being "gone", as some put it, had f**k all to do with missing the penalty and if that had gone in (the keeper had gone the wrong way) then things might have been totally different. Of course, it wouldn't be St Mirren without looking for a new scapegoat 90 mins into the season.

Do folk actualy watch him in games Thompson is shocking his touch his passing . All shocking. Think how many times in past 6 months he's missed absolute sitters that verge on embarrassing. Most recent through on goal v berwick yes he's a legend. But all good things cone to and end and the end is nigh for thomo

Just to add. His wee boy supports rangers fact

So at least he's made his we boy happy