Stevie Mallan

I think we would miss Supporters more than most players.

Alan's posts were fine , undeservedly savaged by mob rule.

Mallan is a good player. not yesterday though and acted like a spoilt brat on occasion.

He will turn out to be a great player and move on to bigger and better things.

We wiill move on also with our faithful fan support intact.

Who are you calling a mob, ya bassa? I'm gonna shout fur hauners in your case... Didnae huv tae in his!

;)

I feel sorry for Kelly. He got in a peach of a cross yesterday which is more than Howieson or Agnew can do. He is the best left-sided midfielder we have however he is also expected to play full back. When Kelly got the ball he started moving forward and Howieson started moving towards him! Kelly had to do everything on the left on his own which he has to do most weeks and no-one covers for him or runs into the space in front of him. I know he is not great at full back so play Stewart there and move Kelly up one.

But I liked the look of Cooper. He was prepared to run into space on the left and hit the by-line so maybe Kelly will get more support there instead of playing with shadows most weeks. (And Carswell never covers the full back area either when Kelly bombs forward. Only Goody offers him protection).

I feel sorry for Kelly. He got in a peach of a cross yesterday which is more than Howieson or Agnew can do. He is the best left-sided midfielder we have however he is also expected to play full back. When Kelly got the ball he started moving forward and Howieson started moving towards him! Kelly had to do everything on the left on his own which he has to do most weeks and no-one covers for him or runs into the space in front of him. I know he is not great at full back so play Stewart there and move Kelly up one.

But I liked the look of Cooper. He was prepared to run into space on the left and hit the by-line so maybe Kelly will get more support there instead of playing with shadows most weeks. (And Carswell never covers the full back area either when Kelly bombs forward. Only Goody offers him protection).

We also now have the option of pushing Kelly up and playing Irvine at left back.

Things are starting to take shape, but still a good way to go.

We also now have the option of pushing Kelly up and playing Irvine at left back.

I don't really agree that pushing Kelly further forward is part of things taking shape.

Irvine is a good signing though.

Edited by davidg

Yeah, I think this will happen. Kelly's got a good engine, a decent delivery, and he's good for a couple of goals a season, but he's not great defensively, especially when he's isolated. I think Irvine and him on the left would be far more solid.

Not having a dig but I fail to see how having the opinion of Kelly as left mid is things taken shape.

Having a left sided midfielder in front of Kelly or Irvine would be more like taking shape IMO.

... unless it turns out that Kelly is a better left sided midfielder than he is a left sided defender in which case it would indeed be taking shape combined with good management.

I'm sure we could have a whole new thread devoted to players who started out in one position only to go on and star in a different one.

Iain Munro is my starter for 10... Ironically someone who gained a cap after moving TO left back!

... unless it turns out that Kelly is a better left sided midfielder than he is a left sided defender in which case it would indeed be taking shape combined with good management.

I'm sure we could have a whole new thread devoted to players who started out in one position only to go on and star in a different one.

Iain Munro is my starter for 10... Ironically someone who gained a cap after moving TO left back!

This season Kelly has been poor as a centre half and as a left back. Only so many times you can change position and expect him to improve as a player.

IMO Sean needs to be dropped once we have everyone back, his performances this season have been dreadful.

This season Kelly has been poor as a centre half and as a left back. Only so many times you can change position and expect him to improve as a player.

IMO Sean needs to be dropped once we have everyone back, his performances this season have been dreadful.

He has had a poor season so far... I am in no way denying that or defending it, other than to say that he is a young player who is developing, and doing so in a failing team.

Should we give up on him and not try to develop him further?

He has had a poor season so far... I am in no way denying that or defending it, other than to say that he is a young player who is developing, and doing so in a failing team.

Should we give up on him and not try to develop him further?

Sean started as a centre half for the under 20s. He came in and started well as a left back when we didn't have one. He was dreadful last year at left back, got moved back into his 'natural' position of centre half this season and was dreadful again.

So he's been poor at left back and centre half consistently over the past 18-24 months. What happens if he is poor at left mid? What do we do, give him a chance up front? Right mid? Defensive mid? How long before we accept he just might not be good enough to play for st Mirren?

Edit to add; he's also 22 years old and has played about 100 games for us. He's not a 17/18/19 year old boy.

Edited by foxbar_bud

Sean started as a centre half for the under 20s. He came in and started well as a left back when we didn't have one. He was dreadful last year at left back, got moved back into his 'natural' position of centre half this season and was dreadful again.

So he's been poor at left back and centre half consistently over the past 18-24 months. What happens if he is poor at left mid? What do we do, give him a chance up front? Right mid? Defensive mid? How long before we accept he just might not be good enough to play for st Mirren?

Edit to add; he's also 22 years old and has played about 100 games for us. He's not a 17/18/19 year old boy.

Ach well... Bin the duffer.

Got your boots handy?

I look forward to reviewing your performance.

How many games did he play in the first team at centre back?

He came in and replaced an experienced left back so it is wrong to say we didn't have one.

Who DID perform well last season?

I am not convinced that Sean will go all the way, but is there any harm in supporting and encouraging a young player (and 22 is still young enough to allow significant development).

Ach well... Bin the duffer.

Got your boots handy?

I look forward to reviewing your performance.

How many games did he play in the first team at centre back?

He came in and replaced an experienced left back so it is wrong to say we didn't have one.

Who DID perform well last season?

I am not convinced that Sean will go all the way, but is there any harm in supporting and encouraging a young player (and 22 is still young enough to allow significant development).

Point 1) good argument!! So I'm not allowed to criticise a player?

Point 2) no idea how many games he's played at CH, based on his performances there I hope there's not many more

Point 3) not many but some of our youngsters certainly enhanced their reputations, McLean and Mallan Spring to mind

Point 4) I'm not saying 22 is too late to develop but we need to stop carrying passengers, Sean has been one over last 2 years with performances no where near good enough. And with his contract up in the summer I would give Jordan Stewart a chance to stake a claim for the left back position once Alex Rae has decided on his best team.

We have some talented youngster who will have up and downs in form like Mallan is going through now. The difference being Sean has been poor for an extended period of time.

I don't think there's many clubs fans who would be so critical of a teenage player in his first full season in senior football.

Especially not when this teenager is the top scorer, having scored 8 goals by the end of January, and he's not even a striker! How many goals from midfield would a teenager need to score in little over half a season to escape the wrath of our infamous boo boys? 10? 20?

Is Mallan the finished article? No, of course he isn't. He's only 19, no one is at that age.

What he is is a tremendously talented player who's a bonafide goal scoring midfielder. He done it in the top flight last season and he's doing it again this season. He's a young player scoring regularly from midfield in a struggling team, and he still gets stick. Remarkable.

Rae clearly rates him highly, it seems like he's the first name on his team sheet and he's building the midfield around him, good. He's also rated highly by Scotland, he's jumped a level and is already in the u21's despite being eligible for the u19's.

We're extremely lucky to have such a talented player in our ranks and if he keeps developing at his current rate I'm sure he will go on to play at a high level. It wouldn't surprise me if he left in the next couple of days but I think and hope he will be with us till the summer. In the mean time we just need to enjoy him while he's here.

Edited by TopCat

Point 1) good argument!! So I'm not allowed to criticise a player?

Point 2) no idea how many games he's played at CH, based on his performances there I hope there's not many more

Point 3) not many but some of our youngsters certainly enhanced their reputations, McLean and Mallan Spring to mind

Point 4) I'm not saying 22 is too late to develop but we need to stop carrying passengers, Sean has been one over last 2 years with performances no where near good enough. And with his contract up in the summer I would give Jordan Stewart a chance to stake a claim for the left back position once Alex Rae has decided on his best team.

We have some talented youngster who will have up and downs in form like Mallan is going through now. The difference being Sean has been poor for an extended period of time.

Point 2 summed it up perfectly.

You have no idea yet try to base an arguement on your lack of information.

Point 2 summed it up perfectly.

You have no idea yet try to base an arguement on your lack of information.

No problem, so because I don't know the exact number of games played in a a position I can't have an opinion.

Like your responses elsewhere on this thread your arrogance is shining through when others don't agree with you.

Edited by foxbar_bud

Mallan is our only saleable asset and with the sale of the club possibly in the next few months, it wouldn't be the greatest surprise if the directors wanting out decided they would rather sell a player to cover any cash flow issues rather than provide a loan out their own pockets. I'm not saying for a minute this situation has arisen and I realy hope Mallan doesn't go as he is a smashing player but it's not inconceivable.

Watching the highlights of the Hibs game yesterday I was reminded that John McGinn is our most saleable asset. Hope he gets a hatrick in league cup final, is sold in the summer and we get a third of a small fortune. Anyhow great to see him doing well even if it's not for us.