Stevie Mallan

Aye, Baird just pipped Mallan for my MotM.

Irvine still looks a bit off the pace, but improved in the second half (likewise Clarkson).

What was particularly pleasing was the centre of defence looking solid. We now have options there, with Baird having a great showing, and Kelly doing well when he came on. We also have the option of Watson moving into the centre of defence when Naismith is back, and there are now viable options at the back.

Back to back wins at home should be a huge confidence boost for the younger lads, and will help the new players settle in.

Why is everyone surprised that Kelly had a decent game at centre back

His best performances in the last 18 months have been there

The central defence yesterday looked the most solid it has been all season. Their no nonsense defending was superb and Kelly's distribution was excellent. Even when Webster is fit I would continue with the young boys for now. I do not think Rae now has to look for another central defender.

The central defence yesterday looked the most solid it has been all season. Their no nonsense defending was superb and Kelly's distribution was excellent. Even when Webster is fit I would continue with the young boys for now. I do not think Rae now has to look for another central defender.

Neither does he, according to what he said on Thursday night

Without having to fanny about at the back and with an injection of confidence from being asked to do the simple things, I think we have a number of defensive options now.

Rae did say he wanted Saints to be hard to beat. Well in 2 home games he has done that. Lost only one goal from a very dodgy penalty. I also think the 4 new players have done really well and can only get better. Mallan is good player and is starting to play the whole 90 mins instead of drifting in and out of games.

I noticed Baird as well. Stepping out when needed, seeing danger and covering, winning the ball in the air. People forget he himself only turned 20 at the weekend.

Kelly stepped in perfectly when Webster went off, and along with Baird performed well.

The thing I was impressed with, especially in the first half, was the way we pressed. We weren't just jockeying, but were snapping into tackles, which made QOS rush their passing which meant they were giving it away more often. Even the keeper was being closed down really well, leading to him slicing a number of kickouts and looking quite nervous on numerous occasions.

We slacked off a bit in the second half, which is understandable given the effort we put in in the first half to get the upper hand.

Delighted with the attitude shown under Rae, and happy with the experience we've brought in. All players we've brought in are experienced and physically strong, which makes a big difference - especially with Goodwin out.

Edited by Soctty

I liked the sound of Rae's interview on the St Mirren radio on Saturday. He was talking Mallan up, but with caution - saying there are areas of his game he needs to improve on, and how Rae believes he can draw on his own experience of the position to help Mallan improve.

The tone and emphasis were all in exactly the right places, IMO. Mallan is our best player and our best asset - still 2.5 years on his contract. If Rae can help him develop even further then hopefully we can finally get a decent fee for a player - and we've perhaps got a 15-goal midfielder on our hands in the meantime.

Dorman 08/09 probably. He was also playing at a higher level with no disrespect to Mallan

Just checked you're right. He only had 4 goals at this stage of that season but finished with 12.

Mallan did it at a higher level last term too of course. He ended up with 4, including goal of the season despite only playing half a season for a hopeless team.

• 1 month later...
Embarrassing that the sun would even consider publishing something so fabricated.

1. He's still in contract

2. They can't afford him

3. He has a better future than the fakes