Stevie Mallan

I wasn't there but the accounts I heard was that St Mirren didn't control the midfield. I've conceded previously Mallan can score from free kicks and penalties but he'll have to improve his midfield work rate and ability many times over before I'd see him compared anywhere near favourably to the likes of Billy Stark, Tony Fitzpatrick, Lex Richardson, Billy Abercrombie or even Dougie Bell. I still say £60k was a great price. St Mirren should have sold

And Mallan scored from 12 yards out in open play Stu..... How comes you missed that Doh..!

Should see him getting his full u21 cap in the next round of games, but aye you'll be right, I mean what do goals, performaces and international recognition mean compared to your opinion???

Apart from that what does he actually do

It would certainly be interesting to see what he could do, if he had players supporting him like Bartley, Fyvie etc., like McGinn does at Hibs.

How many goals and assists have been attributed to McGinn so far this season? Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Anyway, it goes without saying, that Fatty's opinion on what makes a good player is totally worthless, just like his opinion on every other matter, football or non-football related.

Edited by FTOF

Stevie Mallans main problem is that he is being asked to hold together a midfield that has no real leader at present. He is not a leader, he is not a 'solid' midfielder. He is only really going to reach his full potential playing in a team with a solid base in the middle and an encouraging leader guiding him through matches and giving him the protection to do what he does.

Stevie Mallans main problem is that he is being asked to hold together a midfield that has no real leader at present. He is not a leader, he is not a 'solid' midfielder. He is only really going to reach his full potential playing in a team with a solid base in the middle and an encouraging leader guiding him through matches and giving him the protection to do what he does.

That might lead to a Good win for Saints!

For that to be true you'd have to find 3,000 people who'd said the sole reason they turned up at Greenhill Rd and paid full adult price admission was to watch Stevie Mallan play. I'd doubt you'd find more than 30. The lad isn't a top drawer entertainer and he isn't a Messi, Ronaldo or even a Dalglish.

welll that is just counting ticket sales and ignoring any other match day income from them too(any merchandising sales, programmes and other nonsense), over the course of however long mallan stays at saint mirren, it isn't that far fetched at all, its around 90 people a game for two seasons. Goals encourage people to go to games and also stop them from not showing up at games too.. Also you would have to add in the improved league postition and cup games that his goals and performances have helped, prize money and so on.. I really don't think it adds up to sell this guy for 60,000 quid.

Are people still saying he's not that good? lol.gif:

It's really only one person. I'm looking forward to this week's explanation of why he went to a game involving two teams he doesn't support and how he got a free ticket for it.

Stevie could have blasted the assist from Cooper, but took a touch, settled himself, and finished with aplomb.

The lad is a class act in the making, and will only improve.

Let's enjoy him while we have him.

Edited by Drew

Another good performance from him today. A good section of our support - not just the discredited StuD - left looking silly. A few weeks back there were quite a few on here wanting him dropped... :lol:

He will play at a better level than us. In my opinion he is better than McLean and McGinn were at his age, I think he will go on to have a better career than either of them. 14 goals from midfield in a season is an absolutely ridiculous record, whoever you are and whatever level you're playing.

We just need to appreciate him for the limited time we will have him. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets taken to England in the summer. That game today may well be the last time a lot of us see him wear the stripes in Paisley.

Stevie could have blasted the assist from Cooper, but took a touch, settled himself, and finished with aplomb.

The lad is a class act in the making, and will only improve.

Let's enjoy him while we have him.

While in this instance you are correct, too often a player takes a touch settle themselves and oops there's the tackle, block, keeper, etc. A perfect example of this was Bobby Barr today who should have put the laces through an excellent chance in the first half and instead allowed himself to be pushed wide. I don't remember Somner, or Law, or Drogba taking too many touches. This seems to be coached into Scottish players. and too few are wiling to take a risk and hit it first time. If your technique is good enough it should be less of a risk than fannying about on the ball.

Not a dig at Mallan far from it, But a dig at the general level of coaching,

Who was the last midfielder to notch 14 goals from midfield? Any midfielder who can score 10+ goals in a season is invaluable especially for a time like ours who have been struggling for most it. I dread to think where we would be this season without Stevie Mallan. Fantastic talent who should have won all fans POY awards this year but many are going to Keith Watson which sums up the intellect of some of our fans.

Does he have areas of his game he needs to work on? Of course he does. At 20 years of age time is on his side and he will only get better. So let's appreciate this young talent while we have him because we won't have him much longer I suspect.

To be fair Dave you can only vote on what you see. Watson has done well for us and Mallan was going through a quiet spell due in part to the midfield being a disaster area when the vote was out. I'd have said it was fairly tight with Watson just ahead, since then Watson has been less impressive and Stevie has been more impressive. Asked to vote now, I think most people would give it Mallan, especially as Watson won't be here next season. But credit where it's due Watson has been good for us this season and probably just about deserves his reward. Did Stevie not win it last year?

Also I can't really detect the same amount of hostility towards him as there was for either Mclean or McGinn, or currently for Kelly,Baird and Morgan I think almost everyone recognises his talent which just goes to show how much he must have.

To be fair Dave you can only vote on what you see. Watson has done well for us and Mallan was going through a quiet spell due in part to the midfield being a disaster area when the vote was out. I'd have said it was fairly tight with Watson just ahead, since then Watson has been less impressive and Stevie has been more impressive. Asked to vote now, I think most people would give it Mallan, especially as Watson won't be here next season. But credit where it's due Watson has been good for us this season and probably just about deserves his reward. Did Stevie not win it last year?

Also I can't really detect the same amount of hostility towards him as there was for either Mclean or McGinn, or currently for Kelly,Baird and Morgan I think almost everyone recognises his talent which just goes to show how much he must have.

I agree that Watson have had a very good season for us and I would have liked to see him stay. I understand people vote on what they see but I can't help scratch my head. 14 goals from midfield in a side that has struggled for most of this season. Also 5 assists which means he has had a hand in 19 of our goals this season. What an achievement I think about it this way if we never had Watson this season would be much more worse of because I know if we took Stevie Mallan out we sure would be.

Young Aaron Woodhall got it last year and rightly so.

While in this instance you are correct, too often a player takes a touch settle themselves and oops there's the tackle, block, keeper, etc. A perfect example of this was Bobby Barr today who should have put the laces through an excellent chance in the first half and instead allowed himself to be pushed wide. I don't remember Somner, or Law, or Drogba taking too many touches. This seems to be coached into Scottish players. and too few are wiling to take a risk and hit it first time. If your technique is good enough it should be less of a risk than fannying about on the ball.

Not a dig at Mallan far from it, But a dig at the general level of coaching,

He knew he had time to take the extra touch. That's the critical point.

In the context of the chance, it was the correct thing to do. Knowing that is, in itself, an indication that his decision making is improving.