Stevie Mallan

Its simple really!

Dicko cant lay claim to 'finding' Mallan and his obvious talent, so reverts to type to slate Mallan's talent, promise, development and the fact he has been brought into the international set up as recognition Of this....

Its just Dicko being Dicko, we, and almost all the professionals in scottish football know he is wrong, so why bother poking the bear?

Just copy every link of Mallan scoring a screamer, and every media comment praising him on a Dicko thread.

Of course you could,.but you could also name many squads worth of young English players who would walk into a UK Squad way before you'd even come close to naming any produced through the Scottish Leagues. The chasm between what is being produced through the respective youth systems in Scotland and England has never been wider in my lifetime. Indeed, as I've pointed out before, we've been at the stage for years now where top flight Scottish clubs have been trawling the English lower leagues for English nationality players to put in their team ahead of local lads. Look at Inverness for the classic example. A squad built with players from Tranmere Rovers, Stockport County, Cambridge United and Luton Town amongst others - and we're not talking about kids on the way up - we're talking about players who've been around a bit and who have struggled to be what must be less than 200th - 300th best in their position in their country. Yet still they hold starring roles at a club that finished last season as the third best in Scotland!

Your not comparing apples with oranges, your comparing older players who have had a meh career in England coming up and having average careers in Scotland, Yes there are some good young English players, but not as many as you'd think. I'd say England has a big problem with youth development too. Fairly Meh Scottish player often have golden sunsets, Hartley and Pressley are two prime examples but there plenty others. The problem young Scottish players have is that if they have not cemented a starting place by the time they are twenty they either go down the leagues and start their way back up ( not necessarily a bad thing) Baird being a good example of that. Or they give up get a job and play junior/amateur football.

Edited by insaintee

A lot of eggy faces on this thread tonight.

Mallan grabs a brace and it's 13 (thirteen) goals from midfield in his debut full season. And there's 3 games to go!

No midfielder has scored as many goals from midfield from us in a single campaign in my memory anyway. Anyone confirm who the last was?

What a record, what a player.

Mallan grabs a brace and it's 13 (thirteen) goals from midfield in his debut full season. And there's 3 games to go!

No midfielder has scored as many goals from midfield from us in a single campaign in my memory anyway. Anyone confirm who the last was?

Imagine the cheeky wee bugger doing that!

I reckon it was a GIRFUY message to Wishaw.

Impudent young rascal.

Never mind midfielders, since our millenium championship season when Yards and Basher hit 19 + 16 respectively, only four players of any position have scored more than 13 in a single campaign.

David Cameron, 19, in 2002/03

John Sutton, 17, in 05/06

Michael Higdon 14 in 10/11

Then Thommo with 16 in the three consecutive seasons.

13 goals from a midfielder playing in probably our worst team in 20 years... Superb, we should

appreciate him while we have him..

I could be wrong but Billy Stark may have scored more in the 1 season, another player who

took some amount of shite from the fans...

Ok - you remember Charlie Adam. IIRC he was 18 years old when we saw him score from the half way line for Ross County at Love Street. He tried it two more times in the same match. He moved to St Mirren a year later and although his absolute talent was obvious, he really was often a stand out in a midfield, he was often unfairly accused of being unfit or lazy.

Now compare him to Mallan. Do you REALLY see a player of equal ability? I don't. Adam was miles ahead and it was always pretty obvious to me that he'd go on to do well in his career. I wouldn't say I'd have expected to see him play for Liverpool but Stoke City and Blackpool always seemed about right. Mallan? Forrest Green? Gateshead? Certainly nowhere near League 1 never mind the Premiership.

I remember Charlie Adam's goal however I also remember seeing Ryan McCay score from the half way line too, he didn't go onto much.

I don't think Mallan will go onto play for Liverpool but I think you are very unfair on him. There are loads of people who have made careers from just scoring free kicks and he can do that better than anyone I remember at saints. Who have we had that scored free kicks as regularly? Gillies? Torfason?

I remember Charlie Adam's goal however I also remember seeing Ryan McCay score from the half way line too, he didn't go onto much.

I don't think Mallan will go onto play for Liverpool but I think you are very unfair on him. There are loads of people who have made careers from just scoring free kicks and he can do that better than anyone I remember at saints. Who have we had that scored free kicks as regularly? Gillies? Torfason?

David Beckham made a living out of scoring from free kicks :-)

Never mind midfielders, since our millenium championship season when Yards and Basher hit 19 + 16 respectively, only four players of any position have scored more than 13 in a single campaign.

David Cameron, 19, in 2002/03

John Sutton, 17, in 05/06

Michael Higdon 14 in 10/11

Then Thommo with 16 in the three consecutive seasons.

Martin Cameron in 02/03.

David Beckham made a living out of scoring from free kicks :-)

to be fair he was pretty good at crossing too and made a lot of money from his looks as well.

That Nakumara (cheating diving wanker) guy that played for Celtic comes to mind as a guy who could only score freekicks. I personally believe Mallan has more than that.

I wasn't there but the accounts I heard was that St Mirren didn't control the midfield. I've conceded previously Mallan can score from free kicks and penalties but he'll have to improve his midfield work rate and ability many times over before I'd see him compared anywhere near favourably to the likes of Billy Stark, Tony Fitzpatrick, Lex Richardson, Billy Abercrombie or even Dougie Bell. I still say £60k was a great price. St Mirren should have sold

Edited by Stuart Dickson

The worst thing about youth academies is players get to 20 and they have nowhere to go, if they are though not good enough

The demise of amateur under 21s league, Drumchapel amateurs are the best example, how many came from that team.

A team with a proud history, they have been the start for many players who would turn professional such as Sir Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, Andy Gray, Archie Gemmill, John Wark, Asa Hartford, Eddie McCreadie (Chelsea player and manager) and John Robertson.[3][4]

and many more,that extra year can make all the difference to their physical fitness and strength
Another brilliant think tank, I'm still waiting for the result of Ernie Walkers study in the 70s

I wasn't there but the accounts I heard was that St Mirren didn't control the midfield. I've conceded previously Mallan can score from free kicks and penalties but he'll have to improve his midfield work rate and ability many times over before I'd see him compared anywhere near favourably to the likes of Billy Stark, Tony Fitzpatrick, Lex Richardson, Billy Abercrombie or even Dougie Bell. I still say £60k was a great price. St Mirren should have sold

not that i watch too many games anymore, seen a few though, you could well be right about how good mallan will turn out to be but I think you are way off by saying 60,000 was a great offer.. goals win games and bring fans in(although not so much in scottish football), I do think mallan is worth more to saint mirren than 60,000, his goals have gained points and people really do like to see impressive looking goals which mallan seems to be scoring this season, so I would suspect his goals have helped attendences too.. I would guess that if you did some calculations it would not make good sense to sell mallan for that price ...

Not like you to miss a St Mirren game Dicko.

not that i watch too many games anymore, seen a few though, you could well be right about how good mallan will turn out to be but I think you are way off by saying 60,000 was a great offer.. goals win games and bring fans in(although not so much in scottish football), I do think mallan is worth more to saint mirren than 60,000, his goals have gained points and people really do like to see impressive looking goals which mallan seems to be scoring this season, so I would suspect his goals have helped attendences too.. I would guess that if you did some calculations it would not make good sense to sell mallan for that price ...

For that to be true you'd have to find 3,000 people who'd said the sole reason they turned up at Greenhill Rd and paid full adult price admission was to watch Stevie Mallan play. I'd doubt you'd find more than 30. The lad isn't a top drawer entertainer and he isn't a Messi, Ronaldo or even a Dalglish.

The worst thing about youth academies is players get to 20 and they have nowhere to go, if they are though not good enough

The demise of amateur under 21s league, Drumchapel amateurs are the best example, how many came from that team.

A team with a proud history, they have been the start for many players who would turn professional such as Sir Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, Andy Gray, Archie Gemmill, John Wark, Asa Hartford, Eddie McCreadie (Chelsea player and manager) and John Robertson.[3][4]

and many more,that extra year can make all the difference to their physical fitness and strength

Another brilliant think tank, I'm still waiting for the result of Ernie Walkers study in the 70s

I'd agree but I'd look at it the other way. If senior clubs weren't taking kids out of the amateur game at the age of 10, giving players who are never going to make it a false sense of expectation and and an ego to match, you might not land up chasing football daft kids away from the game - as players and as customers - when the become adults.

For that to be true you'd have to find 3,000 people who'd said the sole reason they turned up at Greenhill Rd and paid full adult price admission was to watch Stevie Mallan play. I'd doubt you'd find more than 30. The lad isn't a top drawer entertainer and he isn't a Messi, Ronaldo or even a Dalglish.

He's certainly not a Messi, Ronaldo or a Dalglish. But out of interest who in Scottish football is? Ryan Gauld?

ETA or English football for that matter

Edited by insaintee

There's still amateur U/21s leagues

I'm involved in the West of Scotland where's there's 3 divisions

The standard is high especially the premier where the teams there dish out pumpings to junior teams in friendies

Drumchapel are in our league in the second division