Stevie Mallan

No problem, so because I don't know the exact number of games played in a a position I can't have an opinion.

Like your responses elsewhere on this thread your arrogance is shining through when others don't agree with you.

Want to put it to a vote as to who the majority agree with?

You mistake arrogance with a desire to support our young players and the future of our club!

Want to put it to a vote as to who the majority agree with?

You mistake arrogance with a desire to support our young players and the future of our club!

You put anything you want to a vote, I have my opinion I couldn't care less that you want to turn it into a popularity contest.

I'm sure 22year old Stuart Carswell will love the fact you will stop giving him absolute pelters on here and cheap digs at every occasion

Edited by foxbar_bud

I'm not sure why the situation with younger players has to be "either/or"?

Young players thrown in a the deep in in a shite team fail in almost every case. Young players who's confidence is built up over a period of games where they match see some matches from the bench likely have a better chance, in my opinion.

Why can't there be a middle ground where someone like Kelly, who I think has struggled for a while now, gets the chance to sit for a few games and maybe comes back refreshed?

We need a sensible approach to this as the kids will undoubtedly be our future so we can't keep throwing them into the lions den and then hurling abuse at them when they struggle.

You put anything you want to a vote, I have my opinion I couldn't care less that you want to turn it into a popularity contest.

I'm sure 22year old Stuart Carswell will love the fact you will stop giving him absolute pelters on here and cheap digs at every occasion

Heehee.. Nice sidestep there.

Deflection is always the sign of a lost arguement.

Strange thread this

This thread is just like Mallans performance yesterday.

A couple of worthwhile contributions but mainly forgettable....

Aye, very odd thread indeed. Started out about Stevie Mallan drifted off into a critique of Sean Kelly's ability / best position / performances then ended up with a playgound fight that was really just name calling.

Young players thrown in a the deep in in a shite team fail in almost every case. Young players who's confidence is built up over a period of games where they match see some matches from the bench likely have a better chance, in my opinion.

Why can't there be a middle ground where someone like Kelly, who I think has struggled for a while now, gets the chance to sit for a few games and maybe comes back refreshed?

We need a sensible approach to this as the kids will undoubtedly be our future so we can't keep throwing them into the lions den and then hurling abuse at them when they struggle.

Really?

Tony Fitzpatrick? Billy Stark? Lex Richardson? Frank McGarvey?

What about Ricky Gillies, Barry Lavety, Martin Baker, Jamie Fullerton?

Or Burton O'Brien and David McNamee.

Or even John McGinn and Kenny McLean.

What about James McFadden, Stevie Hammil, Stephen Pearson - who all got their chance in a shit Motherwell side that was bankrupt?

Or kids like Callum Paterson, Jordan McGhee, Billy King and Sam Nicholson who came through a rancid and bankrupt Hearts side?

Most managers won't risk upsetting their squad by dropping first team players to field untried youngsters in vital league matches when they are chasing honours. Typically kids get their chance because a manager either can't ignore the players ability any more, or because he's desperate as was the case when Sean Kelly made his breakthrough ahead of the really poor performing Danny Grainger. It's up to those kids to show the bottle, the battle and the ability to retain their starting place when it's handed to them. If anything having a kid sit on a bench for weeks and weeks to eventually get the odd patronising 10 minutes here or there when matches are already won is probably what kills careers and stunts youth development in this country.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

There was once a massive outcry by fans to drop Mehmet for his own good.

The manager at the time bowed to pressure.

He later regretted it, saying that it had set the player back by trashing his confidence.

If Rae selects Mallan to play...

Supporters should support!

There was once a massive outcry by fans to drop Mehmet for his own good.

The manager at the time bowed to pressure.

He later regretted it, saying that it had set the player back by trashing his confidence.

If Rae selects Mallan to play...

Supporters should support!

A good manager knows whether a player will react positively to the carrot or the stick. That's partly where he earns his corn. There's no doubt young Mallan is having lapses in concentration and there are too many misplaced passes during the game but I'm sure it'll be sorted out one way or another.

I think we would miss Supporters more than most players.

Alan's posts were fine , undeservedly savaged by mob rule.

Mallan is a good player. not yesterday though and acted like a spoilt brat on occasion.

He will turn out to be a great player and move on to bigger and better things.

We wiill move on also with our faithful fan support intact.

when did he act like spoiled brat?

The remarks about Sean Kelly mostly remind me of the fact someone had to take the mantle of most abused player when Cheesy left.

I think a lot on here need to take a serious look in the mirror.

Saints will never be a Hearts, Aberdeen , we don't get the crowds,even Hearts recently went down as did Hibs.

Get used to the fact that success for Saint will be an odd season in the top 6 in the premier league, but mostly chasing promotion or fighting relegation.

I am a reasonably new fan as my grandson loves them. I have been watching football for 60 years.the only fans i've ever heard to come close to Saints fans for personal abuse thrown at players,was the famous front row of the stand at old Broomfield. players had to walk past them to get to the dressing rooms.

To me I don't care if a young lad supports the club or not, he is a pro and any decent manager will not give anyone a game unless he tries to play to his full ability.

How many times has young lad been chased out a club only to be sold on by his next club for a few quid.

You only need to look at Rangers signing today £500,000 after being freed by Bolton ,loans to Sheffield Utd,Tranmere and I think Carlisle.

Lay off the young lads and if they've got what it takes they will do us proud

Edited by Eaglesham saint

Players like Kelly and Mallan are being asked to perform beyond their experience and skill set this season as we have suffered from the car crash that was Murray's recruitment campaign. Add to that injuries to Naismith and Goodwin meant instead of these young players having the on-field support and back up of decent pros they have been asked to fill the gap left by the very players who they themselves need to develop alongside.

It has shown in the weight on their shoulders, making them effectively shutdown on occasion as everyone is looking to them to bring a weak side together.

The recent signings, and the return from injury of Goodwin and perhaps Naismith before the season end will see the youngsters thrive again as they can express themselves without the undue burden they carried to make up for the dross Murray assembled. That goes for Baird too, Howieson i think as well will show more.

Remember when we had a surpluse of gifted midfielders, wide players etc McGowan, McGinn, McLean, Carey, Newton, Dummet, Tesselar etc, etc.... We didnt really appreciate what we had, lets get behind the youth, we dont have an option not too.

Mallan needs to realise there is more to being a member of a team than being the set piece guy. Some of his tackling is powder puff and sometimes his passing is lazy. When he is good he is great. He just needs to show more consistency. Kenny Maclean had similar issues however and made a difference to his game to progress. Hopefully we see more of Mallans progress before he moves on which I am sure he will if he knuckles down.

McLean is a good reference point for Mallan. Remember the year we won the cup, McLean was getting pelters from many after he came back from injury and it severely dented his confidence. He recovered from that and became our best player, but I'd have liked to have seen him given more patience by fans.

In the case of Mallan, I believe similar is true. He may benefit from being rested for a game or two, but if he isn't let's remember he's a kid who is learning while playing, and has contributed more in the way of goals than anyone else in the team, from midfield, and will make mistakes still. Support is what's needed, support and patience.

Problem for stevie this season of that we have relied on him to be our main creative and goal scoring threat and at 19 years old he shouldn't have all the responsibility on his shoulders.

The new signings should take some of the pressure off stevie and allow him to play his natural game without him thinks my he has to do it all

IMO he's a special talent who will get better and better.