Nightclubs

pozbaird

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33713015/uk-nightclubs-closing-at-alarming-rate-industry-figures-suggest

Apparently closing down at an alarming rate. Big places back in the day spawned 'Superstar DJs'.... Now, I have a broad taste in music, and on my iPod I have a couple of tracks by Moby, Propellerheads and a Japanese DJ called DJ Krush. I own albums by Unkle, really like the mesh of rock music and 'studio trickery' by bands like Pendulum and Celldweller - but recently I saw Fatboy Slim on the telly 'live' - the cnut twiddles a few knobs, holds headphones against one ear, but spends most of his time jumping up and down on the spot clapping his hands above his head while gullible hordes lap up this Emperors new clothes bollocks... He's a glorified version of the bloke at the end of your cousin's wedding who plays 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' and Runrig's 'Loch Lomond'. Pile of shite.

Studio? Fine. Live? Is it fcuk. Live is Bruce Springsteen or anyone else who plays their own songs on the instrument they have put (10000) hrs into...

Anyway. They were 'discos' in my day. Cardinal Folly... Dry ice, Human League and ABC records spun by DJs who wurnae' 'superstars'....

Load of shite... Rant over.

Edited by pozbaird

I never took to nightclubs. I was and remain a pub person. Preferably a pub where you can hear what the person next to you is saying over any music that might be playing.

More often than not, I would hit the pub early and have all but expired by the time the clubs opened their doors in any event.

Fury Murrays a couple of times was about my limit. The old student union in Hunter St was somewhere we gravitated to when sufficiently pished to feel the need for a shuffle on the dance floor. Cheap drink and the remote prospect of a some female students daft enough to give us the time of day were usually the biggest draw, however.

Ah, but that was 25+ years ago. Goodness me, where has the time gone indeed?

Edited by Drew

Was it not the case that the Paisley Wine Bar and now derelict Cotton Club (?) I think, were the last big deals in erm, "Night clubs" in Paisley.

I think I may have spewed on a bus one time en route to the iconic haunt , or maybe it was a mate who spewed over us and caused a 'chain reaction'.........anyway, Diana wisnae happy

I never took to nightclubs. I was and remain a pub person. Preferably a pub where you can hear what the person next to you is saying over any music that might be playing.

More often than not, I would hit the pub early and have all but expired by the time the clubs opened their doors in any event.

Fury Murrays a couple of times was about my limit. The old student union in Hunter St was somewhere we gravitated to when sufficiently pished to feel the need for a shuffle on the dance floor. Cheap drink and the remote prospect of a some female students daft enough to give us the time of day were usually the biggest draw, however.

Ah, but that was 25+ years ago. Goodness me, where has the time gone indeed?

35+ years ago for me. A quiet night for us was pool, space invaders, and a pint in the Cochrane House Hotel in Spateston. Maybe a Chou Pahrot gig in the 'Spooky Lady' disco. Johnstone saw us hit Sophie's, or when the 80s really hit with big hair and white jackets with sleeves rolled up - Coanes wine bar on the High Street. A quiet pint on the hammered copper-top tables of the Lynnhurst Hotel was another option. A big night out in Glasgow was a pint in the tennis-themed 'Centre Court' bar on Sauchiehall Street, then La Marelle with the indoor fountain, before trying to pull in the Cardinal Folly disco above it.

The other side of nights out like those were the nights (lots of them) at the Apollo seeing UFO, AC/DC, Judas Priest and the rest - wearing denim jackets or green combat jackets festooned with sewn-on patches of bands, reeking of patchouli oil... Chips in the Blue Lagoon, trying to get served in Lauders, trying to avoid a smack in the mouth from the bouncers, and a mad dash back down Renfield Street to catch the train home from Platform 13.

Where did the time go indeed?

Edited by pozbaird

Valentino's was my home every Fri and Sat every week. I used to also run nights there on a Thu when Clubs could not get a license for during the week but 'events' could. I had friends who were DJs so regularly went to Glasgow and Edinburgh to Club nights. I also spent nearly a year in Spain DJing in a Club.

So even at my age I still love dance music (French House mostly) although I am in a minority of one with my circle of older friends but when younger acquaintances hear the stuff I listen too they love it. My Club these days is a converted attic in my house where I can relive the good old days :)

Mirror Balls Rule!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33713015/uk-nightclubs-closing-at-alarming-rate-industry-figures-suggest

Apparently closing down at an alarming rate. Big places back in the day spawned 'Superstar DJs'.... Now, I have a broad taste in music, and on my iPod I have a couple of tracks by Moby, Propellerheads and a Japanese DJ called DJ Krush. I own albums by Unkle, really like the mesh of rock music and 'studio trickery' by bands like Pendulum and Celldweller - but recently I saw Fatboy Slim on the telly 'live' - the cnut twiddles a few knobs, holds headphones against one ear, but spends most of his time jumping up and down on the spot clapping his hands above his head while gullible hordes lap up this Emperors new clothes bollocks... He's a glorified version of the bloke at the end of your cousin's wedding who plays 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' and Runrig's 'Loch Lomond'. Pile of shite.

Studio? Fine. Live? Is it fcuk. Live is Bruce Springsteen or anyone else who plays their own songs on the instrument they have put (10000) hrs into...

Anyway. They were 'discos' in my day. Cardinal Folly... Dry ice, Human League and ABC records spun by DJs who wurnae' 'superstars'....

Load of shite... Rant over.

^^^^^^^^^^Has no idea what a modern DJ does.

Best stick to Tony Blackburn........................1eye.gif

I didn't get nightclubs either. I just didn't see them as enjoyable places to be. You often had the worst kind of god awful DJ spending half the night waving at the audience like he was some kind of superstar and talking all over the tracks that people were there - supposedly - to dance to. Then you couldn't hear a word being said by the people you were with although admittedly at some of the places I used to work at that wasn't such a bad thing on a works night out. Overpriced drinks. And then there was always the constant harassment from drunk girls seemingly desperate to get me up from my seat to dance with them, although I think in truth it was more to do with their feet hurting and them wanting a seat.

Far better to sit in a nice quiet pub enjoying the conversation of people you had chosen to be with that night. Preferably one with plenty of seats, a good snooker / pool table, reasonably priced drinks and, especially on a winters night, a good open fire. And if there was going to be some jumped up fanny wandering around with a microphone it had better be someone running a good quality quiz night.

I won't miss nightclubs at all, but having said that I agree with the "expert" I was listening to on Radio 5 yesterday who said the good, well run nightclubs will survive. It's just the shite ones that will be closed down.

Even in my younger days I hated them, they served the purpose of a late drink, nothing else.

Too many nights spent in great pubs, enjoying good chat and listening to good music were ruined by going to clubs.

Overinflated entry fee, overpriced beer, over zealous bouncers.

Won't miss them.