Frustration Mounts :too Early To Be Organised

Hey ye loyal sainties,

Surely it is too early to have a squad in place?

14 players out from last season, 6 in so far and out of 6 games to date we have lost 4. Admittedly only 1 of the defeats really mattered. The loss of 11 goals during that time is not great and apart from playing Berwick "amateurs", we have managed 2 goals in 5 games!

Better quality Goalie (not an inferior or "past-it" back-up), left back (could be Kelly), centre back (2 if Kelly goes to LB, 1 as cover for Baird and "the quality new guy"), holding midfielder to offer some protection, goal scoring strikers (at least 2) are all urgently needed before the league runs away from us; cover for right back, and 2 better quality midfielders would be a real bonus.

OK OK it is still early and the transfer window is open for just under 3 more weeks - but come on Murray and Gilmour and get decent players in soon to give us a fighting chance, with a less bare squad than the 17 players at the moment (with 1 of these not that likely to feature other than on the bench)

Time to speculate to accumulate with the MacLean/McGinn money and attract some good players that we can sell on next year!!

We PRAY that Dumbarton don't do to us what they did to the Hibies - being a saints fan makes us turn to God for help!

I am not being disloyal - just venting off some frustration - can we really make the play-offs and beat a premier team? - certainly not as things stand at the moment and we are not good enough for a serious run in any of the 2 main cups.

Personally I hope the club have bigger ambitions than aiming for an ok season this year so that we can acclimatise in the Championship before deciding what we plan for next season.

Winning isn't everything BUT losing too often is nae fun either

Other than those who think I have been on the forum before and the abusive comments about that, I am enjoying the sentiment from true fans of our beloved team. (I was born in Greenock Road in a house that overlooked the ground)

I agree that so far Falkirk have not done great in the transfer window either. QOS have lost 7/11th of their team etc. But Hibs had a good team and have added better than we have. Rangers, the jury is out on, though they will happily pay better money for really good players like Danny Wilson - I just dread to see another set of dregs being signed at the last minute from who is left. (Need I mention Ball, Marwood etc.)

4 or 5 players needed - I think we need 8 or 9. Ross County were heading down before Christmas, but they speculated on a lot of players and from hardly winning, strung a run together with competition for places a real incentive.

I played for a lot of teams that won leagues and trophies, and had the most clean sheets in a season in their league - it is not rocket science - Does anyone really believe we are likely to be the top scorers or the have the best defensive record in the new season?

I am not judging Murray before he gets a chance - I just hope that his hands are not too constrained by the Gilmour budget system (I don't know if that is fair - but Teal wanted to sign guys who went to our competitors last time - and we all know the result of that).

Aye, you've already said.

Trouble is we are a further 5 weeks down the line, the season has now started and all we have signed is boys since then!

Saints are playing in a "man's league" and it is time to get the finger out!

2 and a bit weeks will soon vanish, then we will be stuck until the usual January transfer disappointments.

Trouble is we are a further 5 weeks down the line, the season has now started and all we have signed is boys since then!

Saints are playing in a "man's league" and it is time to get the finger out!

2 and a bit weeks will soon vanish, then we will be stuck until the usual January transfer disappointments.

Aye right enough lets sign anyone at all. Times up doesn't matter if they're any good. FFS. Edited by Kendo

Hey ye loyal sainties,

14 players out from last season, 6 in so far and out of 6 games to date we have lost 4. Admittedly only 1 of the defeats really mattered. The loss of 11 goals during that time is not great and apart from playing Berwick "amateurs", we have managed 2 goals in 5 games!

Better quality Goalie (not an inferior or "past-it" back-up), left back (could be Kelly), centre back (2 if Kelly goes to LB, 1 as cover for Baird and "the quality new guy"), holding midfielder to offer some protection, goal scoring strikers (at least 2) are all urgently needed before the league runs away from us; cover for right back, and 2 better quality midfielders would be a real bonus.

OK OK it is still early and the transfer window is open for just under 3 more weeks - but come on Murray and Gilmour and get decent players in soon to give us a fighting chance, with a less bare squad than the 17 players at the moment (with 1 of these not that likely to feature other than on the bench)

Time to speculate to accumulate with the MacLean/McGinn money and attract some good players that we can sell on next year!!

We PRAY that Dumbarton don't do to us what they did to the Hibies - being a saints fan makes us turn to God for help!

I am not being disloyal - just venting off some frustration - can we really make the play-offs and beat a premier team? - certainly not as things stand at the moment and we are not good enough for a serious run in any of the 2 main cups.

Personally I hope the club have bigger ambitions than aiming for an ok season this year so that we can acclimatise in the Championship before deciding what we plan for next season.

So you want 9 more signings?

Yeah, chances of that happening are zero.

GK, Centre-half, Centre forward and another wide player will be our whack. And rightly so. I'd rather we did blood youngsters and stay down for a season to rebuild and recoup, coming back stronger in the future than go for the quick fix that has killed so many clubs' ambitions in the past.

Managing to last a whole 4 minutes before we capitulated to the forces of darkness can hardly be regarded as impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully this will serve as a wake up call for Murray, as he seems to think the team in it's current state is pretty good.

"The gulf between ourselves... and Rangers isn't as great as people think" Well based on the 90 mins on Friday that doesn't seem to be the case.

There is still an awful lot of work still to do before we can anywhere close to challenging for promotion.

Edited by ds10

Managing to last a whole 4 minutes before we capitulated to the forces of darkness can hardly be regarded as impressive by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully this will serve as a wake up call for Murray, as he seems to think the team in it's current state is pretty good.

"The gulf between ourselves... and Rangers isn't as great as people think" Well based on the 90 mins on Friday that doesn't seem to be the case.

There is still an awful lot of work still to do before we can anywhere close to challenging for promotion.

Agree there is a lot of work and that will take time bearing the cluster*ck of last season. We did not capitulate, as you say, we lost a goal very early and that can happen to any team. Rangers have better players in key positions as a result of a bigger budget than we have, 50k fans backing them and will be favourites to win the league at a canter. We have a bunch of potentially talented kids with a few warhorses like Goodwin and Thommo. We do need strengthening but it has to be within budget, players willing to come and getting the right ones in. The new players also have to adjust to new surroundings and to new tactics etc.

Easy to judge us against Scumgers but I will wait until the first quarter is over to measure the strength of our squad and opposition. The Manager should be given time to get the right team and if that has to take another season then sobeit. Rather we are solvent than wasting more money ala TC rushed spending which cost us big time in both cack players and ending contracts prematurely.

I am a Saintie?

Naw

Lol

Yes you are. It's one of the forum regulations that you agreed to when you signed up to starting posting.

I'm pretty sure it's called the Saintie Clause.

That's one of those "jokes" that Callum was warning me about I think.

ETA. I'm not sure it even works. Maybe not even at Christmas time.

Edited by oaksoft

Yes you are. It's one of the forum regulations that you agreed to when you signed up to starting posting.

I'm pretty sure it's called the Saintie Clause.

That's one of those "jokes" that Callum was warning me about I think.

ETA. I'm not sure it even works. Maybe not even at Christmas time.

Funny post.

I am a big fan of the Marx Brothers.

Aye right enough lets sign anyone at all. Times up doesn't matter if they're any good. FFS.

Seriously who is saying "let's sign anyone at all"? Can you not read?

Maybe you should re-read my post or get a help to do so, and pay special interest in the word quality (twice)[i'm not suggesting Messi standard, but better than we have already is surely not too much of an ask - and certainly not that difficult either?]. No one is suggesting bursting the bank. Where has the Maclean/McGinn transfer money gone and the wages from 8 players we are short of from last year gone? (Tess, MacLean, McGinn, Kello, Cheesy, Wylde, were all on decent premier money).

You can bet also Murray and his assistance are on Championship money too.(rightly so, but that is a further cut from last year)

Time is not up yet, but it soon will be and by the end of the 1st quarter we will know if we have missed the opportunity to do what Hearts did or not. Worse still, if it is bad, the January transfer budget will be less and who thinks we will be well sorted for winning the league next season? (even the most optimistic will need some amount of faith for that as things are looking at the moment)

"At the moment", is the issue here. Like all fans, we hope that the management will come up trumps with 3 or more really good additions to bring on the lads and at least have a stronger squad for competition of places - But please please, not those who are well by their best or still playing boys football because they are cheap and we cannot attract better players for the lack of a decent wage.

Young lads with real potential are great if they reach their potential - a good help from much better pro's can make this far more likely.

Maybe you are all much more confident than I am that the next 2 league matches will bring in 6 points - thing is we really should be confident of that, for neither of those opponents will be challenging for the league!

Someone somewhere will be able to tell us what the exact drop in income will be from being relegated but I reckon £500-600k at least. Perhaps that explains the number and level of signings.

We are where we are, and I don't think there is much scope to go beyond three or four more new faces, but hopefully they will address some of the concerns listed above. I am more than happy to give Murray the chance to prove he is a good manager. After all it took Fergie a while to pull a team together before we were promoted.

If wr are paying jim goodwin his wages I think it is stupid for him to sit on the bench for a year. I would have thought mallen would start in his own position the club has developed him for so agnew who is new to the club should not start ahead of mallen in mallens position. Or we are going to lose another development player who has been at club for yonks. For this reason I am dubious about Murray but we will see October

Hey ye loyal sainties,

The McLean money was needed last season.

The McGinn money will presumably help bring in a couple of new faces but only if the BoD budgeted on getting nothing for him in the first place.

Our income will be significantly reduced from last season.

There are two bigger clubs in the league, one of them much bigger (which may well be spending money it doesn't have but that's another story). These clubs pay much higher wages and have bigger squads with more depth than we do.

We have signed a player for our first team who is surplus to requirements at that much bigger club.

The manager has had to rebuild the squad from last years wreckage.

We have a very young squad with just a couple of old heads to guide them.

So all in all, I think it's unrealistic to expect a title challenge this season.

I see it as a transitional year and if we make the play offs we will have done well in my opinion.

I'm all for ambition, I've complained about the lack of it at the club for a long time, but the reality of the current situation is that we need to rebuild and that is likely to take time.

The McLean money was needed last season.

The McGinn money will presumably help bring in a couple of new faces but only if the BoD budgeted on getting nothing for him in the first place.

Our income will be significantly reduced from last season.

There are two bigger clubs in the league, one of them much bigger (which may well be spending money it doesn't have but that's another story). These clubs pay much higher wages and have bigger squads with more depth than we do.

We have signed a player for our first team who is surplus to requirements at that much bigger club.

The manager has had to rebuild the squad from last years wreckage.

We have a very young squad with just a couple of old heads to guide them.

So all in all, I think it's unrealistic to expect a title challenge this season.

I see it as a transitional year and if we make the play offs we will have done well in my opinion.

I'm all for ambition, I've complained about the lack of it at the club for a long time, but the reality of the current situation is that we need to rebuild and that is likely to take time.

Dumbarton who lost more players than us, and who we recruited our manager from,, so they were behind us having to get a new guy in started later to recruit players than we did.... And beat Hibs quite comprehensively.

Why should we accept to be less successful than them?

This is a must win game for our promotion hopes, and measure of our managers competence. Any kind of win will do, but we desperately need a win to build some confidence and belief. Second game in, first Six-Pointer.

Bollox to the "too early to be organised" thesis.

It should have been sorted from Day 1.

THEY get paid a shitload more dosh than most on here for doing a fun job, that they'd profess to love.

Having a squad organised - like Dumbarton has - should be basic.

Edited by bluto

Dumbarton who lost more players than us, and who we recruited our manager from,, so they were behind us having to get a new guy in started later to recruit players than we did.... And beat Hibs quite comprehensively.

Why should we accept to be less successful than them?

This is a must win game for our promotion hopes, and measure of our managers competence. Any kind of win will do, but we desperately need a win to build some confidence and belief. Second game in, first Six-Pointer.

1 game has been played and your Dumbarton fixation reappears. This will be the Dumbarton that recently lost to East Fife? Well done against Hibs but 'comprehensively' beating them? I have no doubts that we will finish well above them this season.