Goodwin

Living up to my predictions - squad far too weak, still missing at least 5 guys who can play at, at least this standard.

Great idea bringing on the boys, but not all in the same team. We still need guys who can score goals or we will only win if they score og.s. Defensively - 2 shots on target, 2 goals!!! We managed to create 2 chances against DUMBARTON.

All the other squads that were decimated are looking better than us

Saints TV producing horror shows - get some DECENT players in - we are already 6 points behind!!!

No it wasn't, only player bullied was Morgan. We sat back, which is how Murray does things. Goodwin would not have done better than our central square and doesn't fit in anywhere else. I thought Gow was the wrong choice, I'd have preferred Mallan in with Morgan and McMullan supporting Gallagher.

No it wasn't, only player bullied was Morgan. We sat back, which is how Murray does things. Goodwin would not have done better than our central square and doesn't fit in anywhere else. I thought Gow was the wrong choice, I'd have preferred Mallan in with Morgan and McMullan supporting Gallagher.

We were out fought Jim fights for everything and our young players struggled against a well set up Dumbarton team

Jelly left back with goody and Baird at the back would of made a huge difference imo

Agree with gow thommo should of started all day

Was a very poor team selection from Murray

Edited by buddies1877

Jim Goodwin is badly needed sitting between defence and midfield , he has leadership skills , can make tackles , pass a ball ,

most importantly in a team full of young players he has experience. To have such a senior player sitting on the bench is utterly stupid and a huge failure on Murray's part

Put your house on it , If Jim Goodwin does not play on Friday night Morton will over run us.

Feel free to book mark that.

Jim Goodwin is badly needed sitting between defence and midfield , he has leadership skills , can make tackles , pass a ball ,

most importantly in a team full of young players he has experience. To have such a senior player sitting on the bench is utterly stupid and a huge failure on Murray's part

Put your house on it , If Jim Goodwin does not play on Friday night Morton will over run us.

Feel free to book mark that.

There's every chance they could do that anyway, most teams over ran us last season with Jim there. Indeed, they absolutely pissed over us again and again. Having Jim fail to pick up a man then pointing at the nearest man and/or holding his head in his hands is not what we need. As fo this "he has experience", he's just old and has played a lot of games. I don't think it was stupid to not play him, but it was indefensible to play Gow and expect a defensive player like Carswell to create anything.

All that said, had Gallagher scored or we'd finished either of the decent chances from corners we probably wouldn't be discussing Jim.

There's every chance they could do that anyway, most teams over ran us last season with Jim there. Indeed, they absolutely pissed over us again and again. Having Jim fail to pick up a man then pointing at the nearest man and/or holding his head in his hands is not what we need. As fo this "he has experience", he's just old and has played a lot of games. I don't think it was stupid to not play him, but it was indefensible to play Gow and expect a defensive player like Carswell to create anything.

All that said, had Gallagher scored or we'd finished either of the decent chances from corners we probably wouldn't be discussing Jim.

it was still an awful performance even if Gallagher put that away.

We couldn't score last season thommo was out McLean was our only threat and when he was sold we were down.

Plays we are not playing the same standard of opposition either

Goodwin is this season's Lee Mair. It's amazing how much better he's getting every week he's out of the team. By the end of the month he'll be better than Mascherano.

Having said that he'd have been better up front than Gow.

Agreed.

Seems to me Murray is intimidated by Thompson and Goodwin. No wonder, they're of similar age and experience to him, and unlike him, they've earned the respect of our support by what they've achieved with us.

He needs to swallow his pride and get them both starting the games on Tuesday and Friday.

Watching the defence meander about leaderless today while our cup winning captain sat on the bench was painful viewing.

Agreed.

Seems to me Murray is intimidated by Thompson and Goodwin. No wonder, they're of similar age and experience to him, and unlike him, they've earned the respect of our support by what they've achieved with us.

He needs to swallow his pride and get them both starting the games on Tuesday and Friday.

Watching the defence meander about leaderless today while our cup winning captain sat on the bench was painful viewing.

I agree.

When Thommo came on we looked much better up front.

We must play two up top though and tell McMullan to cross the ball rather than running into defenders and losing the ball.

I'm not at all sure that Goodwin is the answer. I think we are clutching at straws. He was poor last season, and I don't know why people think he would be any better this term.

Likewise, I didn't think we looked significantly better after Thompson came on. He replaced Gow, so was an improvement, yes, but did he really contribute a great deal.

I would say that Morgan finding a bit of form made a difference in the second half. At times he had three defenders on him, yet we failed to exploit the space this created. More urgency is required. Would Goodwin and Thompson provide that. I think both are/would be coasting at best.

We need someone in the middle who can put their foot on the ball and make a telling pass. Sorry, but for me, that ain't Jim Goodwin.

In my opinion Goodwin is our best holding midfielder and should be played until we have a better option. I think Thompson will be more effective coming off the bench as he did today. We vitally need some experience within the team, Langfield, Goodwin and hopefully Webster will offer that but they need to start.

Seem to remember that Goodwin was told last January that he was free to find himself another club.

Clearly this point has been mentioned to Murray and he does not want to play Goodwin if it can be avoided.

This in no way avoids the fact that the team badly needs a solid experienced spine and a player like Goodwin is needed now

You don't like Goodwin I get that but he is needed.

You could understand Goodwin not getting a game after we were down at the end of last season and Teale blooding a few youngsters instead. Makes no sense however to begin the season with only 5 defenders in the squad, and when 1 of your 4 starting XI defenders gets injured to replace him with a young midfielder like Cuddihy being played out of position in his 4th subs appearance when you have an experienced defender on the bench who could have slotted in at right back or centre half.

Game was lost due to a crazy sub choice.

That game was crying out for him today our young players were bullied today.

Conlan is awful not good enough get Goodwin at the back until we get someone better to help Baird and kelly.

Maybe the game was crying out for the JG of 4 years ago, probably not the teenager kicking, rising-star elbowing slow as molasses in January version (that is rumoured to be malcontent No1 in the demise of Lennon shitfest) that we saw last season.

If there is one shred of shrewdness in what Murgartroyd has done so far, it is the sidelining of someone who lobbied for the removal of a predecessor

Edited by beyond our ken

Agreed.

Very possible.

It is also possible that whereas Danny fell on his sword for trying to keep senior players happy who then knifed him on the back, Murray is making the point that HE is in charge and it is his way or the highway?

lest we forget, Jim Goodwin suffered a "mystery injury" that stopped him being cup-tied and also left the team struggling just when his contract came up for renewal and Hibs were interested in him

I thank him for the small cluster of good performances he produced since then, they are looking increasingly lost in the past.

he is not the answer

Our new manager deserves to be given some time to develop his squad, his style of play, etc. The fans shouting "bring back Danny" in section W2 today were (I hope) joking. Or fannies.

But I agree with previous posters that too many of our young hopefuls are too easily brushed aside by experienced, physically stronger opponents. IMO Goodwin should have started for us today. When Naismith had to go off Goodwin was the obvious substitute to steady the defence. The fact that Ian Murray chose to replace the injured Naismith with another young defender lacking in top-team experience instead of Jim Goodwin smacks of a personal agenda against our former captain. At best tactically naive IMO, undoubtedly a poor decision for the balance of the team, and a worrying sign regarding Murray's priorities.

As I said, Murray deserves his chance to settle into his new job and he can do without plonkers in the crowd yelling insults, but maybe he needs to be more mature and avoid creating vendettas for the overall benefit of our team performances.