Goodwin

Goodwin is articulate gregarious and good company all round. He is a considerate family man. He can in his professional life be a nasty , dogmatic and irritating character, but I'm glad he plays with us and I'm glad he is passionate about his playing. He would be the first guy I would tend to abuse if he was in opposition to my team, that says enough.

Whatever he lacks in pace he makes up for in nous and presence. He can be reckless, ( doh ) for sure, but his value to the team outweighs his potential,bombscare red mist moments.

It's sometimes shades of grey with him , but at least Guinness is black and white !!

So, what you are saying is that Murray was managing?

How very dare he!

Good to hear. Jim can be a bit quick to round on the younger players, though perhaps that speaks of his passion. There is a balance to be struck. Murray seems to be taking responsibility as the person who needs to strike that balance. He needs time in order to for his message to get across.

Laugh..... And the world laughs with you!

I must admit I was very concerned that Jim would be pushed out of the Club as personally I think he is irreplaceable in such a young team where experience and professionalism are worth their weight in gold. Especially where he plays. Now Goody is back in the team and keeping his place I hope Murray has recognised how important he is and will give him more public support.

And well said Drew. Few on this site admit it when they may get something wrong (and we all do!).

Whilst heading back to Paisley from Glasgow by train one night last year, I got into a conversation with three fellow passengers who were slightly merry. After asking my destination and who I supported the subject got round to one Jim Goodwin. The three lads were from Ayrshire, one supported Killie, one Ayr United and the other naturally, Rangers but what they all had in common was a wish to have Jim Goodwin in their team. And although Jim Goodwin's worth to St Mirren may have divided the support, here we have independent prove that other clubs supporters admire his style of play and wouldn't mind having him.

Jim C.

Thought I might have to change my 'top man' when it looked like he was away in the summer.

Glad I haven't. We've finally got a proper defence in behind Jim so he can play the crucial, pivotal holding role properly, without worrying about 1) the clusterf**k behind him and 2) whether he's going to be moved backwards to join the clusterf**k.

Jim cloud9.gif

*bump*

I doubted Jim.

I thought he was a bit of a liability.

I am delighted to be proved a fool. By all accounts (and the account of a friend whose judgement I hold in great regard), he is a very decent guy.

COYS!

Legend!

I hope he continues to do a job on the park but I'll reserve judgement until he has half a season under his belt. He deserves credit for his role in helping the young players so far but let's hope that's the version of Goodwin we get all season and not the self destructive one. For St Mirren's and his sake i hope it's the former.

I think Carswell has the potential and ability to be Goodwin's successor in that holding role, but there's two things missing from his game. Firstly, he needs to bulk up a bit more - I know it's a cliche, but Jim can physically dominate opponents and brush them off - not sure Carswell can do that just yet. Secondly, he doesn't have the fire in his belly yet, which Jim undoubtedly has. Needs to be a bit more passionate and aggressive in his attitude. Young player though, so hopefully that will come.

Jim has been great so far, really proven a lot of people - me included - wrong. Vital presence in midfield at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

He was outstanding today breaking up play.

Crazy how some thought he shouldn't of been near the team at the start of he season he proved a lot including the manager wrong.

I'm happy to hold my hand up and admit I was wrong. Don't think it was crazy to be sceptical, though.