Goodwin

He can't get a game, surely. He doesn't have vast experience nor a lot of physical stregth.

he has more talent than most from what I can see. But if it's strength that's needed, we are putting a strong team together. None of them can kick a ball right enough but could kick your head in. I'm looking forward to a season of talentless, skill-less Neanderthal football

Play them from the off tomortow night in Annan and lets get everyones heads up for Friday..!

I didn't want Murray, didnt rate him at all. However he now has an opportunity to show if he can learn quickly from his mistakes, albeit in part down to Naismith's injury. Lets see a more competitive side on the pitch in Annan and take it from there.

Two out of three ain't bad..!

Now please consolidate this learning and make sure Goodwin, Langfield start, and Thommo is in the squad at Cappielow. With those three, Baird and Kelly completing the spine we could move forward as a unit.

he has more talent than most from what I can see. But if it's strength that's needed, we are putting a strong team together. None of them can kick a ball right enough but could kick your head in. I'm looking forward to a season of talentless, skill-less Neanderthal football

You have quoted me out of context - this post was a fly dig at the Cap following on from one of his.

Read back a few posts and the penny will drop.

Edited by Drew

We don't need Jim Goodwin, we need someone who can do his role more effectively.

Right now we don't have a good enough option for the role, Jim isn't a great option for the role but IMO he's unfortunately the best option available to us.

Until we can attract someone better I would play him every week.

We don't need Jim Goodwin, we need someone who can do his role more effectively.

Right now we don't have a good enough option for the role, Jim isn't a great option for the role but IMO he's unfortunately the best option available to us.

Until we can attract someone better I would play him every week.

Are you saying he's not a great option...

But he's our non-preferred option..?

Goodwin's been a liability at the club for the past couple of seasons.

We should have let him go in the summer. He shouldn't be at the club let alone in the starting line up.

He was under contract though so we could just say on you go without paying him off.

If the rumours are right then we're trying to offload him with as little financial damage as possible.

We need a club to take him and a deal that he's prepared to accept though.

He was under contract though so we could just say on you go without paying him off.

If the rumours are right then we're trying to offload him with as little financial damage as possible.

I think Goody is holding all the cards, and is prepared to see out his contract. Murray, presuming he isn't getting the funds to pay his contract up, needs to man-up and accept that and get the best out of his resources.

Club should have sorted it once and for all in the summer. Offering him a 2 yr deal at the start of last season was ludicrous.

No point in having players who don't really fit in. Especially if you're going with a squad of 17 or 18 players (most of whom are kids).

Jim Goodwin is a St Mirren player who is under contract until that ends his experience should be utilised to help the younger players what is not too understand

Hell knows how its going to be if the fans ever take over the club. We will go through more managers than any other team in the whole country.

Got a feeling that if he starts, he'll be sent off before half time.

They'll do their best to influence ref who won't think twice about it.

Would rather see Langfield on to organise things at the back.

Always feel we are just that bit slower and negative when Goodwin plays.

Yet we do need someone with presence in midfield but can't think of anyone else.

Sorry, negative post.

Club should have sorted it once and for all in the summer. Offering him a 2 yr deal at the start of last season was ludicrous.

No point in having players who don't really fit in. Especially if you're going with a squad of 17 or 18 players (most of whom are kids).

Nowhere near the most ludicrous two year deal handed out though.

Really struggling to understand why anyone would not play Goodwin in centre midfield at the moment. He is exactly what we need and is clearly good enough for this level.

On the back of a very mediocre performance last night? He got better last night as Annan got tired and more stretched. He brought having played games to the side, but with it came poor distribution, needless balls back to Langfield and the game raging on around him.

Is Goodwin out of favour with some fans because Tommy Craig selected him ahead of Thommo for a coaching role, in the same way that John McGinn seemed to end up being the one the fans turned on after suing the club for being speared by Thommo? It's not Jim's fault that Tommy Craig gave him a 2 year deal as a player / coach, what was he supposed to say, no thanks I would like a 1 year deal and less security in the unlikely event that Tommy's reign as manager doesn't work out?

I'm not sure if Danny Lennon would have given Goodwin a 2 year extension when his contract was up, if Goodwin was one of those making life hard for DL in the dressing room. DL had a track record of moving senior players on when they were coming to the end of their shelf life at this level of football (DVZ, Mair, Murray).

Jim Goodwin is a St Mirren player who is under contract until that ends his experience should be utilised to help the younger players what is not too understand

You'd better ask Ian Murray

Hell knows how its going to be if the fans ever take over the club. We will go through more managers than any other team in the whole country.

Why are you angry at fellow buds when its the manager who doesn't rate Goodwin?

I was going to post Goodwin had a good game last night, then realised the 1-0 home win over Owen Coyle's Dundee United team was a dream. The fact he didn't elbow one of their players was a bit of a giveaway I suppose.

Yes, yes.... that'll be it.

Insomnia is a terrible thing.

Not that outlandish considering some of the nonsense about Thompson's nose being out of joint because he wasn't a coach and folk trying to manufacture a rift between the current manager and Goodwin and Thompson.

Murray today: "His will to win is up there with any player I have ever known but he has not caused the slightest problem in the dressing room or around the club."

And: “Since I’ve come in his head has been screwed on. As a manager I can’t speak highly enough of him.”

Now, I appreciate that falls into "Well, he would say that wouldn't he?" territory but can we please wait until there's a bit more to substantiate theories of a rift or fears that Murray doesn't trust them and thinks they're after his job than two guys not playing in a few games?

Full interview at: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/saint-winner-boss-ian-murray-6283164

Not that outlandish considering some of the nonsense about Thompson's nose being out of joint because he wasn't a coach and folk trying to manufacture a rift between the current manager and Goodwin and Thompson.

Murray today: "His will to win is up there with any player I have ever known but he has not caused the slightest problem in the dressing room or around the club."

And: “Since I’ve come in his head has been screwed on. As a manager I can’t speak highly enough of him.”

Now, I appreciate that falls into "Well, he would say that wouldn't he?" territory but can we please wait until there's a bit more to substantiate theories of a rift or fears that Murray doesn't trust them and thinks they're after his job than two guys not playing in a few games?

Full interview at: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/saint-winner-boss-ian-murray-6283164

Thanks Stu

There have been plenty of fans moaning that Goodwin and Teale were appointed coaches ahead of Thompson and how it was a slap in the face for Thommo etc. When Craig was binned and Teale was appointed with DLII as his number two again we got the same outcry about Thommo being overlooked. When Teale was binned again their were calls for Thommo to take over as manager in some quarters, and when Murray was appointed people were saying Thommo should be appointed as his No.2 or a coach and that it must be a priority to re-sign him as a player.

The same people saying Goodwin is on a downward spiral with his own form a bad influence and too critical of younger players seem quite happy to overlook Thommo's form or his spearing of McGinn and habit of throwing poles towards younger players at training.

I'd agree that Goodwin is not as effective as he was in season 2 of Danny Lennon's time as manager, but I think the second half of last season showed that he looks like he has dealt with his indiscipline on that pitch, and I think he can do a job for us this season. I find it puzzling that Goodwin is being cited as one of the main causes for us getting relegated... and would accept that 4 suspensions in 1 season did not help, but the recruitment policy in both transfer windows and weak squad, bad management, lack of goals throughout the season, awful home record were not all down to Goodwin and his form. Stevie Mallan and Kenny McLean's half season were the only bright spots in a season where Kello, Naismith, Kelly, McAusland, Goodwin, McGinn, Thompson and even Gregg Wylde all looked worse footballers than in the previous season.

Special mention for Goody tonight especially when we went down to 10 men. Hopefully he is now back in the team as his experience and attitude are sadly lacking with the midfielders around him.

Agreed, for all his "faults" he's the type of player most teams would want, gives a 100%, not exactly Bobby Moore but always there and helps our younger players.

Unfortunately he has become an incessant target for an element of our support and no matter what he does it's not good enough.

One things for sure, if he goes we will have a big problem for the rest of the season.

Just my opinion.