Another Long Season Ahead

Hibs had some decent players who weren't teenagers and had a board with the ambition to get straight back up. We have neither!

We've had one really bad performance and the manager has said on more than one occasion that we need more players.

We need to give this time. He doesn't even have a full squad as yet.

Need to be given a chance to get things right. We'll be seen as a scalp now we've dropped down and teams will sit back and ask us to break them down.

Murray will need to adjust tactics it's not like being at Dumbarton where teams will be fairly open against you as they expect a result there. Plus there are battle hardened teams in this league who are used to it and even in our SPL days would have been a difficult draw in a cup contest like Queens and Falkirk.

From the look of Rangers on the last two games they'll cruise this league now they have a competent management duo in place. That was 5-1 going on 8 at Alloa.

We struggled a wee bit against Dumbarton, in midfield especially. Making three changes - including 2 midfielders - from the Rangers game indicates that Murray isn't sure of his best team in midfield or attack yet, and with so many new arrivals, that's probably not surprising.

Mallan has to start every week for me. Big talent and a fantastic right foot. We didn't get hold of the midfield for most of the match, until later on after we scored. Goodwin in there would give us a bit of bite and a bit of presence in my opinion.

Defensively the only real weak point we had was at left back again. Conlon struggling to settle in there, could do with being taken out, but we've little to replace him with unless a new centre back comes in allowing Kelly to revert to his previous position. so hopefully he improves as he settles. Baird and Kelly have been pretty solid, and Naismith also.

Morgan was probably our best player on Saturday on the wing. Fantastic close control and dribbling skills, and knew when to release it and when to put the ball into the box, unlike McMullan who frustrated me no end with his greed. Has ability, but that's no use if you don't release the ball at the right time. Or ever, as the case may be.

Up front Gallagher got little service, and Gow was back to his old self, although first game back after being out so I wouldn't write him off just yet. We improved in that area when Thommo came on as he gave us something to aim for when we wanted to go long.

More bite needed in midfield, and more continuity up front, and we'll improve in my view. Difficult to fit Goodwin and Mallan into the midfield I know, but both needed in my opinion, unless others step it up. Agnew scored another great goal, but seemed to try to hard without using much intelligence in the main, giving away the foul that led to the first goal. It's good to have options. The manager has to make it work,

Fans resisting the urge to wet their knickers would be a bonus as well. Kneejerk reactions aren't helpful. Give the manager and players a chance before condemning them as rubbish.

We struggled a wee bit against Dumbarton, in midfield especially. Making three changes - including 2 midfielders - from the Rangers game indicates that Murray isn't sure of his best team in midfield or attack yet, and with so many new arrivals, that's probably not surprising.

Mallan has to start every week for me. Big talent and a fantastic right foot. We didn't get hold of the midfield for most of the match, until later on after we scored. Goodwin in there would give us a bit of bite and a bit of presence in my opinion.

Defensively the only real weak point we had was at left back again. Conlon struggling to settle in there, could do with being taken out, but we've little to replace him with unless a new centre back comes in allowing Kelly to revert to his previous position. so hopefully he improves as he settles. Baird and Kelly have been pretty solid, and Naismith also.

Morgan was probably our best player on Saturday on the wing. Fantastic close control and dribbling skills, and knew when to release it and when to put the ball into the box, unlike McMullan who frustrated me no end with his greed. Has ability, but that's no use if you don't release the ball at the right time. Or ever, as the case may be.

Up front Gallagher got little service, and Gow was back to his old self, although first game back after being out so I wouldn't write him off just yet. We improved in that area when Thommo came on as he gave us something to aim for when we wanted to go long.

More bite needed in midfield, and more continuity up front, and we'll improve in my view. Difficult to fit Goodwin and Mallan into the midfield I know, but both needed in my opinion, unless others step it up. Agnew scored another great goal, but seemed to try to hard without using much intelligence in the main, giving away the foul that led to the first goal. It's good to have options. The manager has to make it work,

Fans resisting the urge to wet their knickers would be a bonus as well. Kneejerk reactions aren't helpful. Give the manager and players a chance before condemning them as rubbish.

Can't agree about McMullan.

He got the ball over several times.... Unlike the Wylde lad.

I'd hate to play against him as he seemed so hard to shift off the ball. A tough wee nut to crack! And fast.

Give him a chance and... er.... don't condemn him as rubbish.... :)

Can't agree about McMullan.

He got the ball over several times.... Unlike the Wylde lad.

I'd hate to play against him as he seemed so hard to shift off the ball. A tough wee nut to crack! And fast.

Give him a chance and... er.... don't condemn him as rubbish.... smile.png

Maybe (and an improvement on Wylde), but he's so frustrating. So many occasions he kept trying to beat man after man, and it became inevitable he'd lose it. Has talent, just needs to learn to look up at his options.

I've condemned nobody as rubbish - not even Gow! wink.png

Didn't we draw the first game of the millennium campaign at home to East Fife? However, the game after that we spanked Raith 6-1....

Nope, you're getting your title winning seasons mixed up.

We drew 1-1 at home to East Fife in 1976-77 in our first match, then lost the next game 2-0 at Falkirk.

We then went on an unbeaten league run until March whilst Falkirk ended up getting relegated.

In the 1999-2000 season we drew our first match 1-1 at home to Ayr , then won 6-0 away to Raith.

Maybe (and an improvement on Wylde), but he's so frustrating. So many occasions he kept trying to beat man after man, and it became inevitable he'd lose it. Has talent, just needs to learn to look up at his options.

I've condemned nobody as rubbish - not even Gow! wink.png

The other point with McMullan was his positioning and defensive work. Often was caught too narrow. Made life difficult for the full-backs. He needs to improve that aspect of his game.

Edinbuddie. agree with all you say and very well constructed.I would add that we should not be getting beat on our home soil by a part time team who train twice a week managed by a part time manager who spends most of his time at Rolls Royce.

IF only it were that simple?

There are plenty of results that would buck that trend, also the now famous "we've a bigger budget than you", just ask Rangers over the last few seasons who have dropped points to lesser teams.

Why is it that everyone can see Hearts, Rangers or any team that starts well, and say they look good for promotion, yet, having seen little little to get excited about at St mirren park were all 'knicker wetters'?..there is nothing in any of the preseason games, cup game or league games to suggest that this will be a good season. There is zero talent on the pitch other than mcmullan, who belongs to Celtic. I've followed St mirren and watched enough football to recognise a poor team. Saints are poor. We can only hope that every other team is poor to. We are flat at the back, void of basic defending skills like picking players up and not leaving big gaps for forwards to run into. Our goalkeeper hurls the ball around like its a bomb about to go off not giving the opposing team time to retreat or for our team to organise, hence we come under pressure around our penalty box due to him continually giving it away. Midfield has no inventiveness and it won't take long for teams to work out, 'stop mcmullan and they've nothing'. Up front, we will struggle if we can't get the ball to the byline to service thommo or to create set pieces. I can't get excited at watching a boys development team that lacks skill and something good to watch. It's supposed to be entertaining. It's not looking like that and at £100 a month, I can't see me forking that out for too long. Sometimes you can look at a team and take hope that there's ability there and potential. I can't. I don't see it at all. Wooden, slow and flat

Why is it that everyone can see Hearts, Rangers or any team that starts well, and say they look good for promotion, yet, having seen little little to get excited about at St mirren park were all 'knicker wetters'?..there is nothing in any of the preseason games, cup game or league games to suggest that this will be a good season. There is zero talent on the pitch other than mcmullan, who belongs to Celtic. I've followed St mirren and watched enough football to recognise a poor team. Saints are poor. We can only hope that every other team is poor to. We are flat at the back, void of basic defending skills like picking players up and not leaving big gaps for forwards to run into. Our goalkeeper hurls the ball around like its a bomb about to go off not giving the opposing team time to retreat or for our team to organise, hence we come under pressure around our penalty box due to him continually giving it away. Midfield has no inventiveness and it won't take long for teams to work out, 'stop mcmullan and they've nothing'. Up front, we will struggle if we can't get the ball to the byline to service thommo or to create set pieces. I can't get excited at watching a boys development team that lacks skill and something good to watch. It's supposed to be entertaining. It's not looking like that and at £100 a month, I can't see me forking that out for too long. Sometimes you can look at a team and take hope that there's ability there and potential. I can't. I don't see it at all. Wooden, slow and flat

But you love St Mirren and that's all that matters.

Get behind the boys.

Bring on the Annan.

COYS

Zero talent? Ffs you make Elvis seem optimistic. There is talent but a very young and inexperienced bunch of young lads who need time. We have no money so we need to give the manager and players time. To say there is no talent is ridiculous.

Zero talent? Ffs you make Elvis seem optimistic. There is talent but a very young and inexperienced bunch of young lads who need time. We have no money so we need to give the manager and players time. To say there is no talent is ridiculous.

depends on your definition of talent. Talent, imo, is someone who stands out from the rest. McCullum does, but he belongs to Celtic. Where's our talent? You've answered my point. A bunch of young boys. Do we have time? Saints have been in decline since the cup win, literally. It's all very well saying give them time. How many times have we said that. The talent on display makes Cheesy would look talented in this squad.

depends on your definition of talent. Talent, imo, is someone who stands out from the rest. McCullum does, but he belongs to Celtic. Where's our talent? You've answered my point. A bunch of young boys. Do we have time? Saints have been in decline since the cup win, literally. It's all very well saying give them time. How many times have we said that. The talent on display makes Cheesy would look talented in this squad.

In your opinion we have one talented player in the squad , sorry mate that is a stupid comment. There are quite a few talented players in our squad its finding the balance as a team first that hopefully brings a few wins , that brings confidence which helps bring the talent to the fore.

It takes time and encouragement especially from the support such as yourself. If you don't have the time on your hands maybe a bigger club that expects to win every game is more for you than a club such as Saints.

The talent isn't there. Face facts wwe have no cash and our board lacked ambition which has caused this decline. Tommy then Gary said it all they didn't give us a hope of maintaining our top flight status. I would argue that last year's team poor as it was would beat this years. Now it's ok to defend the team but it is true we are a bunch of boys who are not as talented as we think or thought and this is proved when you see other clubs who have better young players. Sure mallan has something but other than that there is not one who would make it in a higher division. We are were we are which is probably going to be sore but the board put us here and they have admitted it. It's just a shame it will take years for is to get back

Edited by norrie82

In your opinion we have one talented player in the squad , sorry mate that is a stupid comment. There are quite a few talented players in our squad its finding the balance as a team first that hopefully brings a few wins , that brings confidence which helps bring the talent to the fore.

It takes time and encouragement especially from the support such as yourself. If you don't have the time on your hands maybe a bigger club that expects to win every game is more for you than a club such as Saints.

once a buddie, always a buddie. Just my observation of the team and my comments. Don't expect everyone to agree and, whilst I expect people to ask for patience, I don't see enough there to think we might get out of this division, unless it's division 1

The talent isn't there. Face facts wwe have no cash and our board lacked ambition which has caused this decline. Tommy then Gary said it all they didn't give us a hope of maintaining our top flight status. I would argue that last year's team poor as it was would beat this years. Now it's ok to defend the team but it is true we are a bunch of boys who are not as talented as we think or thought and this is proved when you see other clubs who have better young players. Sure mallan has something but other than that there is not one who would make it in a higher division. We are were we are which is probably going to be sore but the board put us here and they have admitted it. It's just a shame it will take years for is to get back

agreed. Hopefully not years though. Some of us grew up with the Becketts, torfassons, fitzpatricks, munros and remember the team that was. We've been teased with cup runs and cup wins of a team maybe on the way back only to fall quickly into decline. It's a roller coaster right enough

Cheesey bashing again ffs. Im glad he left only purely for the fact he can avoid this direct singled out abuse again.

Didn't we draw the first game of the millennium campaign at home to East Fife? However, the game after that we spanked Raith 6-1....

sure that was Ayr and I remember that game well. We did everything but win, we were all over them and from that game you could see we were going to have a great season.

Never quite got that from the game at the weekend.

Some posters been saying it's only the second game of the season, it was only Dumbarton's second game as well and they simply wanted it more.

Mallan is talented. Baird has shown some very early promise. Agnew has a good strike on him. Can't say I've seen anything else worth talking about, other than Mcmullan but, as previously mentioned, he's not ours.

Young Morgan is clearly talented. He showed that in the second half on Saturday.