How Do We Cover Naismith's Position?

I'm absolutely gutted for Naismith today was sitting near it and it looked a bad one!

I wish for the best that it's not as serious we fear!

I thought Conlan was crap today and would rather see Kelly in his position next game.

Even IF we sign Webster and I really hope we do! I think we now need cover for the RB position and LB position's.

Thought Baird looked Ok at the back today.

Thought today's decisions were strange Why not put on Goodwin?

Instead we put on a Young boy who had never played in that position?

But after I heard the line ups today my first thought was WTF no Thompson!

I said to my son we don't have much cover in Defence on the bench!

I still don't think Goodwin's a defender but it was the most logical choice.

I'm absolutely gutted for Naismith today was sitting near it and it looked a bad one!

I wish for the best that it's not as serious we fear!

I thought Conlan was crap today and would rather see Kelly in his position next game.

Even IF we sign Webster and I really hope we do! I think we now need cover for the RB position and LB position's.

Thought Baird looked Ok at the back today.

Thought today's decisions were strange Why not put on Goodwin?

Instead we put on a Young boy who had never played in that position?

But after I heard the line ups today my first thought was WTF no Thompson!

I said to my son we don't have much cover in Defence on the bench!

I still don't think Goodwin's a defender but it was the most logical choice.

errrrrrr... when has Goodwin played right back?

As far as I am aware, Cuddihy has played there for the u20's in the past.

Goodwin started as a right back and when he signed from Hamilton it was one of the positions that it was stated that he could cover that said it has now been years since he played there and anyone with any pace will rip him a new one.

Cuddihy was the natural choice there today but long term we now need someone that can play there and has experience. If Cuddihy was tp play there we would have only Baird and Kelly capable of winning the ball in the air against big attacking teams

He has but plays mostly in midfield. Jordon Stewart mostly plays right back and is actually ok

Edited by insaintee

If the lad Rooney is still available, we should bite the bullet and look at him. Aside from his naivety for the penalty, though, I didn't think Cuddihy looked too bad. Not as effective going forward, however.

Might be better to revert to a back three. Do we have wing-backs, though?

The idea of Goodwin at right back getting no defensive cover from McMullen fills me with dread. We are vulnerable enough on the left flank. Any remotely decent team would take us apart.

The logical fix is Goodwin goes into the centre, Baird or Kelly go wide as cover till Naismith returns. In fact that should be happening now on the left with Conlan benched until he proves/disproves he's worth it!

I would not have Goodwin anywhere near our defence he's not a Defender and he's not a Right back! He's a holding midfielder.

I would play Kelly at LB Webster (if he signs) and Baird in the centre but who do we play at right back? Even if you move Baird to the right which I think he would play well there!

Who will cover at CB!

The fact that our only defensive option was Jim Goodwin on the bench and the fact that we are only 2 game's in and we have lost Naismith for a sustained period means we need 2 new defenders!

Not helped by the other FACT Conlan is Baws!

Not looking good for him. Just spoke to him and he's fearing the worst! Said he heard it pop. Could be similar to McGregors injury! Fingers crossed for him.

Terrible news.

Happened in front of me and he knew immediately that it was a bad one. He also looked in a lot of pain.

Yes and as a cup winning legend if he stays and sits on the bench for a season he's a waste of money and he gets no playing time!

I have previously stated Goodwin has been a great servant and liability in equal measure!

I can see reason for playing him next game especially after Saturday's midfield performance.

The problem is Murray doesn't rate him that was obvious by the fact he never brought him on when Naismith got injured!

If he's not going to play and he's one of our higher earners then I think it's best for the club and him if he was to move!

Yes and as a cup winning legend if he stays and sits on the bench for a season he's a waste of money and he gets no playing time!

I have previously stated Goodwin has been a great servant and liability in equal measure!

I can see reason for playing him next game especially after Saturday's midfield performance.

The problem is Murray doesn't rate him that was obvious by the fact he never brought him on when Naismith got injured!

If he's not going to play and he's one of our higher earners then I think it's best for the club and him if he was to move!

No it wasn't.

All that showed was that he didn't want to disrupt the central defence and he thought Cuddihy was better suited to covering right back.

Until we bring in a right back, I think going with a back 3 is the best option, with Goodwin in with Baird and Kelly, until we sign a centre half. Conlan is pretty pish anyway, so it might work out for us. On Conlan, does anyone else think he looks like a centre-half that's been shunted out to left-back? Doesn't carry himself like a natural full-back.

I also think we have underestimated the physicality of the league, and wouldn't mind signing some players that can 'put themselves about a bit' so to speak.

Until we bring in a right back, I think going with a back 3 is the best option, with Goodwin in with Baird and Kelly, until we sign a centre half. Conlan is pretty pish anyway, so it might work out for us. On Conlan, does anyone else think he looks like a centre-half that's been shunted out to left-back? Doesn't carry himself like a natural full-back.

I also think we have underestimated the physicality of the league, and wouldn't mind signing some players that can 'put themselves about a bit' so to speak.

Interesting theory re Conlon.

Cheesey was hung out to dry when played at right back where he lacked positional sense and confidence.

You may well be on to something there... although I really don't see him as a centre half.