Crucial Next 4 Games

Between tomorrow and Saturday the 29th August we have 4 games in 11 days:

Annan (a) Challenge Cup 18/8

Morton (a) League 21/8

Livi (h) League Cup 25/8

Livi (h) League 29/8

Four games against teams who have finished below us every season for a decade. Four games which will go along way to defining how the rest of our season is going to go.

Progression in both cups and 4 or more points from the 2 league games and the outlook will be looking a lot rosier.

Getting knocked out in either cup and losing either of the league games.. Prognosis becomes pretty bleak.

Cup runs are good for the bank balance and for momentum. Progression in the two cups -especially the League Cup - is vital. The draw has been kind to us in both competitions, we really need to take advantage and get ourselves in the next round of both, by hook or by crook.

As for the league matches, failure to win either of these two upcoming games will have us already playing catchup to make the playoffs. Our September fixtures are tough, we are away in Dumfries and Leith and home to Falkirk and Raith. We really don't want to be going into those games still looking for our first win or even our first point...

We need to get off the mark against Morton and Livi, failure to do so and we will already be in danger of becoming cut off from the play off race. And of course, we will find ourselves in another relegation battle.

I think we will turn it around. Hopefully Murray bites the bullet and gets the experienced players back in the team. If he does I think we will get through both cup games and win the two league games. What do you think is going to happen?

Between tomorrow and Saturday the 29th August we have 4 games in 11 days:

Annan (a) Challenge Cup 18/8

Morton (a) League 21/8

Livi (h) League Cup 25/8

Livi (h) League 29/8

Four games against teams who have finished below us every season for a decade. Four games which will go along way to defining how the rest of our season is going to go.

Progression in both cups and 4 or more points from the 2 league games and the outlook will be looking a lot rosier.

Getting knocked out in either cup and losing either of the league games.. Prognosis becomes pretty bleak.

Cup runs are good for the bank balance and for momentum. Progression in the two cups -especially the League Cup - is vital. The draw has been kind to us in both competitions, we really need to take advantage and get ourselves in the next round of both, by hook or by crook.

As for the league matches, failure to win either of these two upcoming games will have us already playing catchup to make the playoffs. Our September fixtures are tough, we are away in Dumfries and Leith and home to Falkirk and Raith. We really don't want to be going into those games still looking for our first win or even our first point...

We need to get off the mark against Morton and Livi, failure to do so and we will already be in danger of becoming cut off from the play off race. And of course, we will find ourselves in another relegation battle.

I think we will turn it around. Hopefully Murray bites the bullet and gets the experienced players back in the team. If he does I think we will get through both cup games and win the two league games. What do you think is going to happen?

We can only hope Murray quickly learns from his mistakes. The cup games can be good for overall morale, its the league games you highlight this month and next which are the priority. Performances, results and confidence are required now.

I agree that the matches you list are important. As I have just posted in the Goodwin thread, the measure of Murray will be how quickly he learns from his mistakes. A few people seem intent on battering him for making perceived mistakes in the first place, but that is unhelpful.

We really need to get a fairly convincing win tomorrow. Friday is a wholly different proposition. We are away to an old foe who will want to take the bragging rights. We should be well up for it, but a victory will be less than straightforward to achieve.

The back to back games against Livi will be the best barometer as to how we are shaping up. A few games in, and Murray should have had the opportunity to weigh up his options.

The quicker we get the right formula in terms of players and formation, the better. We have got a lot of good players who should help us do well this season, but until we get them in the right system, we might struggle to find consistency.

We should be looking to win all four games, with two at home, one to lower league opposition, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop a couple of points, probably at Cappielow.

Edited by Soctty

Tbf I think many have overreacted massively.

In our 3 competitive games so far, we;

- beat Berwick comfortably

- were a penalty miss away from sneaking a draw (or possibly even a win) at Ibrox

- narrowly lost to the team sitting joint top of the league who beat Hibs the week before

Can understand people getting nervous, but ffs - give the guy a chance to get it right.

- were a penalty miss away from sneaking a draw (or possibly even a win) at Ibrox

- narrowly lost to the team sitting joint top of the league who beat Hibs the week before

Can understand people getting nervous, but ffs - give the guy a chance to get it right.

I think most of us have overreacted. Its understandable. We all wanted to hit the ground running, and get a few morale boosting wins early in the season. No point in spitting the dummy and shouting about it not being fair when it didn't go our way. Its all part of a process. Hopefully things will start to shape up.

Edited by Drew

Indeed and we have also lost 5 goals, 1 a penalty and another 3 have been very unfortunate/unlucky/jammy (delete as applicable)

Supposedly this bad luck evens itself out over a season, wish it would hurry up.

The circumstances of the defeats aren't really relevant. The cold hard fact is after 2 games we have 0 points and are joint bottom. Before the season started no one would have coloured that as good enough.

Had we won on Saturday these next league games wouldn't be crucial. The fact we lost means they are. If we go into September still looking for our first league win it's going to be a tough ask to stay in touch with the play off pack, particularly given the difficulty of fixtures we have next month.

Edited by TopCat

The circumstances of the defeats aren't really relevant. The cold hard fact is after 2 games we have 0 points and are joint bottom. Before the season started no one would have coloured that as good enough.

Had we won on Saturday these next league games wouldn't be crucial. The fact we lost means they are. If we go into September still looking for our first league win it's going to be a tough ask to stay in touch with the play off pack, particularly given the difficulty of fixtures we have next month.

Given our squad is full of kids the manner of the defeat IS crucial actually.

Heaping pressure on them by talking about must win games less than 15 days into the new season is not helpful in any way, shape or form.

The problem, as usual, is unrealistic expectations on the part of our "fans" and total disrespect for the standard of league opposition we are facing.

There's Drew above talking about "We really need to get a fairly convincing win tomorrow".

How is saying that supposed to help a bunch of kids trying to fathom out how to play at this level against players pumped to the tits to beat them?

The players need to continue to learn how to deal with this level of pressure because most of them will not have had to cope with it before.

This isn't a tactical problem, a skills problem or a "can't be arsed" problem and TBH "fans" show their total ignorance when they start banging on about that.

What we are seeing is a problem of lack of belief and a lack of experience.

The latter will come with time.

The former needs patience and hard work and some basic level of understanding from supporters.

Fans need to back the f**k off and let the management team and players fathom out how to play against these teams.

By all means let's start hammering into them at Christmas if we're still not winning but not two bloody weeks in.

Edited by oaksoft

With respect Drew, 2 weeks into the new season, it really isn't understandable at all.

Of course it's understandable. If we were talking about calm, rational, analysis, it might be less so. We aren't.

We were very poor on Saturday, against a P/T team. It wasn't good enough, but we should be prepared to be patient (to a degree) and believe that it can and will improve. Reaching that place takes a wee bit of calm reflection.

As for tomorrow night, yes, I do think we need a win. We need it for confidence, and so those more predisposed to soiling themselves don't have excessive laundry bills. Would a defeat be the end of the world, no. It would be far from desirable, however.

Edited by Drew

not sure how much money we'd make with a run in the shitty cup?

Who cares?

The most important thing is winning the Trophy.

Dinnae support a football team to add up how much money they earn.

Always live in hope of a wee taste of glory, via silverware and open top buses.

Of course it's understandable. If we were talking about calm, rational, analysis, it might be less so. We aren't.

We were very poor on Saturday, against a P/T team. It wasn't good enough, but we should be prepared to be patient (to a degree) and believe that it can and will improve. Reaching that place takes a wee bit of calm reflection.

As for tomorrow night, yes, I do think we need a win. We need it for confidence, and so those more predisposed to soiling themselves don't have excessive laundry bills. Would a defeat be the end of the world, no. It would be far from desirable, however.

Yes, the analysis isn't calm or rational on here and that's a problem because it feeds back to the team who then start playing with fear.

Fans need to learn that their role is to calm the f**k down a bit and allow the team time to settle.

Not only is it taking our fans years to learn this rather basic necessity but many don't actually care about the team, as long as they get their miserable, pitiful whine out.

As for tomorrow, I agree that a win is something we should be aiming for. A comfortable win would be a bonus. A win by any means would be great.

Again , we have lost to Sevco with their borrowed millions, won a game and ok lost to Sons, not great but I seem to remember they usually beat us at home. Considering , (Shull observe) the Blue Scum have done to other teams , it shows when we click we will be a force

We have kids, it will take time for this team plus additions to gel.

Treble is still on- I have no doubt this is learning the curve period. I have total faith and believe and Murray will show how good he is this season. I did not have that feeling last season....................