Shankland And Webster

4k a week at The Rangers. We can't compete with those type of wages.

There'll have been an agreement with Sevco to pay-off of a portion of his wages, whether we're in a position to make a competitive bid for him is unclear - probably not. No doubt his agent has had feelers out to see who might be interested and how much they'd be willing to offer, I'd imagine this is one deal which will be tied up quickly.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I know it's really frustrating for everyone but sadly, like Langfield before them, we've just got to be patient.

In one case we are at the mercy of the parent club, and in the other we have a free agent who am sure has not been short of offers.

There is no benefit to Aberdeen letting Shankland go before they are ready, and there is no rush for Webster who can sign for whoever he likes even after the transfer window is closed.

We could of course say "sign by tomorrow or the offer is getting taken off the table" and then most likely see the players sign for our rivals, or we just tough it out and be patient.

Whatever happens , the clock is ticking and Webster will have to make his call sooner now , rather than later . .

As for the other , I think the word is that he is coming this week , sometime. .

Who can?

None of the jokers signed by The Rangers in recent years will ever get those wages again. I think they knew that when they signed!

Jon Daly is off to Raith Rovers, quite a fall from grace. Cammy Bell is a laughing stock, he won't be picking up his 8k a week elsewhere.

Anyway, Webster seems desperate to get a better offer from somewhere else. On the radio touting himself for a move! I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at a Kilmarnock or Motherwell.

None of the jokers signed by The Rangers in recent years will ever get those wages again. I think they knew that when they signed!

Jon Daly is off to Raith Rovers, quite a fall from grace. Cammy Bell is a laughing stock, he won't be picking up his 8k a week elsewhere.

Anyway, Webster seems desperate to get a better offer from somewhere else. On the radio touting himself for a move! I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at a Kilmarnock or Motherwell.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see him roll up at killie with Locke, Locke had him captain at hearts.

Hopefully Murray has a plan B.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see him roll up at killie with Locke, Locke had him captain at hearts.

Hopefully Murray has a plan B.

Locke will be gone sooner rather than later. Unless money is Webster's primary motive for keeping his options open then why on earth would he want to joing a sinking ship?

The longer this drags on, the more sceptical I am that Webster will be coming.

Locke will be gone sooner rather than later. Unless money is Webster's primary motive for keeping his options open then why on earth would he want to joing a sinking ship?

The longer this drags on, the more sceptical I am that Webster will be coming.

I would agree, Murray played his hand too soon and comes over as 'try to hard'. A canny manager would have spun it the other way knowing Webster would go where he could get the best deal by telling him to get his agent to call on deadline day if he is still looking for a gig and he would see what he could do. All Murray has achieved is getting the fecker fit, and giving him an offer to bargain against to all and sundry.

I would agree, Murray played his hand too soon and comes over as 'try to hard'. A canny manager would have spun it the other way knowing Webster would go where he could get the best deal by telling him to get his agent to call on deadline day if he is still looking for a gig and he would see what he could do. All Murray has achieved is getting the fecker fit, and giving him an offer to bargain against to all and sundry.

I suppose if Murray had faffed around dithered over whether to offer Webster a deal then there was the likeliehood that someone else could have stepped in with a tempting offer.

Either way, Murray can't win. It's frustrating but there is not a lot you can do when you are in Webster's position and can bide your time as a free agent.

Like others have said let's hope Murray has other irons in the fire.

Murray offered the player training facilities. The fact that we have Ralston is one of the more attractive features of the club, I would have thought. Whether or not Webster has regarded training with the squad as a means to another end from signing with Saints is not something Murray could influence to any great extent. I suppose he could have told Webster that he had a week, maybe a fortnight, then it was sign on or bolt. Would that have enticed the player to sign? I suspect not.

As I've said elsewhere, the idea of letting a player keep himself fit at the club, only for him to sign elsewhere does stick in the craw, but what was the alternative? It's one of these things. If it happens, it happens.

Edited by Drew

Murray offered the player training facilities. The fact that we have Ralston is one of the more attractive features of the club, I would have thought. Whether or not Webster has regarded training with the squad as a means to another end from signing with Saints is not something Murray could influence to any great extent. I suppose he could have told Webster that he had a week, maybe a fortnight, then it was sign on or bolt. Would that have enticed the player to sign? I suspect not.

As I've said elsewhere, the idea of letting a player keep himself fit at the club, only for him to sign elsewhere does stick in the craw, but what was the alternative? It's one of these things. If it happens, it happens.

Next time he is at ralston he should be signed or speared :)

I suppose if Murray had faffed around dithered over whether to offer Webster a deal then there was the likeliehood that someone else could have stepped in with a tempting offer.

Either way, Murray can't win. It's frustrating but there is not a lot you can do when you are in Webster's position and can bide your time as a free agent.

Like others have said let's hope Murray has other irons in the fire.

He should have been canny knowing Webster would be playing the field. If anyone else makes him an offer it will be better than ours, so sweat him till deadline day. You may find he comes in earlier and asks for a deal if he hears you have a plan B, if not make him an offer on dead line day....

Either way you are at least keeping the door open, and not actively pushing the price up. Its called hardball, what we arevwitnessing is Webster on every media channel screaming come and get me so i dont have to take what St Mirren have offered. Never play your hand too soon unless you actually have all the aces.

The way it scans i dont think Webster ever had any intention of signing with us, unless no one else wants him... And that tells you something.

Shankland and Aberdeen have never commented on the likelihood of him coming to us! I would guess that means McInnes would rather he went to a Prem side too in the lower reaches to play at a higher level. That would suit Shanklands's aspirations for U21 caps etc...

Edited by Lord Pityme

Andy Webster is a free agent. The transfer window closing makes absolutely no difference to him whatsoever. In fact you could argue that being available outside of the window could increase his contract value if a team got an injury to a centre half and urgently needed a replacement.

He's in no hurry at all.

Well, how many other experienced proven at this level centre backs are out there who are currently without a club, would improve our squad and who'd even think about coming to us?

The answer is not many, infact it may be not any. If we don't sign Webster - which is very possible, perhaps even likely - who are we going to get in his stead?

That's part of the issue of waiting so long for targets. If you don't get them then you're kind of up the creek because pretty much all the players who would have improved our squad and would have been receptive to our approach have contracts elsewhere by now.

If we miss out on Shankland and/or Webster we will be scraping the barrel in terms of who else we will be able to bring in at this stage of the season. Let's hope we get them both.

Andy Webster is a free agent. The transfer window closing makes absolutely no difference to him whatsoever. In fact you could argue that being available outside of the window could increase his contract value if a team got an injury to a centre half and urgently needed a replacement.

He's in no hurry at all.

On the other hand, he is not getting paid just now so if money is a big part of the equation then is losing out just now.

And just as an injury to another player may increase his value after the window closes, similarly, an injury to himself would leave him up shit creek.

So basically we need to wait and hope and in the meantime slip further behind in the league as we don't have a settled back line with enough experience

Baird and Kelly have been settled since the start of the season. Kelly has quite a lot of experience playing at a higher level.

We now have a new right back with over 100 games at a higher level to his name and the highly experienced Langfield in goal.

Baird and Kelly have been settled since the start of the season. Kelly has quite a lot of experience playing at a higher level.

We now have a new right back with over 100 games at a higher level to his name and the highly experienced Langfield in goal.

Kelly isnt good enough to merit a first team place IMO.

Decent backup as he can play left or central but thats about it. I fear the window closing with him as first choice LB or CB.

I also think baird will develop better with an experienced player beside him.

He's in no hurry at all.

Yes what you say is correct.

However most clubs will have used up their transfer budget come the window closing. I would suspect that we for example might sign someone else if Webster still hasn't signed by then. This could significantly reduce his options.