Shankland And Webster

From Aberdeen's Press & Journal....

St Mirren set to complete deal for Aberdeen striker

25 August 2015 by Paul Third
0 comments
Lawrence-Shankland-Aberdeen5-e1428155528Lawrence Shankland

St Mirren hope to complete the loan signing of Aberdeen attacker Lawrence Shankland today.

The Dons forward was last season’s leading scorer in the SPFL Development League as the Dons won the division, but has yet to score a first team goal. Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes believes Shankland can benefit from the chance to play regular first team football in the Championship and Saints manager Ian Murray is eager to strengthen his forward line. Shankland, who played for the Dons under-20s in yesterday’s 1-0 defeat to Celtic, will link-up with former Dons goalkeeper Jamie Langfield, who joined the Buddies two weeks ago, following his release from the club.

Former Hearts defender Andy Webster, who is a free agent, is also set to sign for the Buddies, who were relegated from the Scottish Premiership last season.

From Aberdeen's Press & Journal....

St Mirren set to complete deal for Aberdeen striker

25 August 2015

by Paul Third

0 comments

Another Buddie-M exclusive..!

Lawrence-Shankland-Aberdeen5-e1428155528Lawrence Shankland

St Mirren hope to complete the loan signing of Aberdeen attacker Lawrence Shankland today.

The Dons forward was last seasons leading scorer in the SPFL Development League as the Dons won the division, but has yet to score a first team goal. Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes believes Shankland can benefit from the chance to play regular first team fiootball in the Championship and Saints manager Ian Murray is eager to strengthen his forward line. Shankland, who played for the Dons under-20s in yesterdays 1-0 defeat to Celtic, will link-up with former Dons goalkeeper Jamie Langfield, who joined the Buddies two weeks ago, following his release from the club.

Former Hearts defender Andy Webster, who is a free agent, is also set to sign for the Buddies, who were relegated from the Scottish Premiership last season.

Well done another Buddie-M exclusive!

Edited by Lord Pityme

Well, how many other experienced proven at this level centre backs are out there who are currently without a club, would improve our squad and who'd even think about coming to us?

The answer is not many, infact it may be not any. If we don't sign Webster - which is very possible, perhaps even likely - who are we going to get in his stead?

That's part of the issue of waiting so long for targets. If you don't get them then you're kind of up the creek because pretty much all the players who would have improved our squad and would have been receptive to our approach have contracts elsewhere by now.

If we miss out on Shankland and/or Webster we will be scraping the barrel in terms of who else we will be able to bring in at this stage of the season. Let's hope we get them both.

Can't argue with a word of that, but the flip side is diving in and signing the first shite that comes our way.

We may never have another summer again like the one where Thommo, Teale, et al arrived. That's been the only one I can ever remember where it felt like we had a plan and were moving forwards. Other than that, it feels hand to mouth and panicky. It always has done.

The real answer, of course, is to bring and end to the madness of the transfer window extending beyond the start of the season. It's absolute lunacy. Teams like ours having to feed off scraps and still not having a settled squad after up to seven or eight games? Stupidity. What if we sign Shankland and he turns out to be a world beater? He could have been the difference on Friday; he could have helped us get something from the Dumbarton game. Not fair that those teams should have got a relatively easy ride.

I'd go so far as to say it's one of the biggest single things wrong with football at the moment, and it could be solved relatively easily.

Can't argue with a word of that, but the flip side is diving in and signing the first shite that comes our way.

We may never have another summer again like the one where Thommo, Teale, et al arrived. That's been the only one I can ever remember where it felt like we had a plan and were moving forwards. Other than that, it feels hand to mouth and panicky. It always has done.

The real answer, of course, is to bring and end to the madness of the transfer window extending beyond the start of the season. It's absolute lunacy. Teams like ours having to feed off scraps and still not having a settled squad after up to seven or eight games? Stupidity. What if we sign Shankland and he turns out to be a world beater? He could have been the difference on Friday; he could have helped us get something from the Dumbarton game. Not fair that those teams should have got a relatively easy ride.

I'd go so far as to say it's one of the biggest single things wrong with football at the moment, and it could be solved relatively easily.

Yeah just feckin sign him!

But its always been like that.

Before the transfer windows even began, clubs could sign players anytime and clubs were usually still finalising their squads after the start of the season.

Back in 1986 we made a double signing a few games into the start of the season. Paul Chalmers & Ian Ferguson...

And our last 2 championship winning sides at this level both had significant signings after the start of the season. Barry Lavety in 1999 and Sutton / Adam in 2005.

Its the same rules for all clubs.

In fairness, the signings of Sutton and Adam, and also Dargo et al signalled clear intent and direction. Another cheeky wee multiple signing day would be nice, but with the growing influence of agents, the chances of such a thing occurring diminish exponentially.

Modern fitba is a bit shite, really.

Kelly isnt good enough to merit a first team place IMO.

Decent backup as he can play left or central but thats about it. I fear the window closing with him as first choice LB or CB.

I also think baird will develop better with an experienced player beside him.

Couldn't disagree more. Kelly is one of the best footballers in our team. I'd prefer him in the centre, as he's looked composed in the main, and has the ability to bring the ball out at times. Kelly and Baird are a good, if inexperienced, combination. This is why we're looking to bring in an experienced centre half - to help them both as players.

Couldn't disagree more. Kelly is one of the best footballers in our team. I'd prefer him in the centre, as he's looked composed in the main, and has the ability to bring the ball out at times. Kelly and Baird are a good, if inexperienced, combination. This is why we're looking to bring in an experienced centre half - to help them both as players.

I thought Kelly made a few basic errors on Friday - such as ball watching instead of getting in front of a runner, and drifting out of position. As the more experienced of the two young centre backs, this was a worry. He seems prone to lapses in focus, also.

What Baird lacks in finesse, he makes up for in his combative, direct approach to ball winning. Kelly doesn't have the same style, and looks to me like a player better suited to a wing-back role. I'm not entirely comfortable with Sean as the last line of defence.

Edited by Drew

Hopefully Shankland does join today, on the other hand Webster has had plenty of time to accept the offer, he still hasn't so it's time to tell him to find alternative training facilities.

We seem to be a soft touch for guys looking to stay fit before joining other clubs. I would like him to join but already think commitment would be a problem for this guy, he has his eyes on another club and higher wages

You can never be 100% certain with anything in football, particularly signings (and yes the sale of a club too before anyone says it !)

Until the player is pictured holding the scarf or wearing the shirt then it's never certain.

That said, in this case I'd bet my last fiver on both these players being part of the squad for the league game against Livingston on Saturday.

IMO Kelly has looked extremely nervous every game this season. He just doesn't seem comfortable dealing with quick or strong strikers & that was again a problem on Friday. In fact, the most comfortable he looked all season was when we went down to 10 men.

A more experienced guy could hopefully give him a bit more confidence - someone who is vocal who could talk him (or Baird, who's been one of our best players so far) through a game.

Personally, I'd go with Kelly at left back and slowly blood him in to the centre half role over the course of the season.

I thought Kelly made a few basic errors on Friday - such as ball watching instead of getting in front of a runner, and drifting out of position. As the more experienced of the two young centre backs, this was a worry. He seems prone to lapses in focus, also.

What Baird lacks in finesse, he makes up for in his combative, direct approach to ball winning. Kelly doesn't have the same style, and looks to me like a player better suited to a wing-back role. I'm not entirely comfortable with Sean as the last line of defence.

You're right, it was probably the most disappointing I've seen him at centre back, but he's impressed me in most other games, and I'd be disappointed if he was shunted back to left back permanently. I think he has real potential in the centre, and he and Baird could develop a very good partnership.

We seem to be a soft touch for guys looking to stay fit before joining other clubs. I would like him to join but already think commitment would be a problem for this guy, he has his eyes on another club and higher wages

The reverse is actually true in his case. Webster could earn more elsewhere.

If he signs for Saints it will be because he has a great relationship with the manager, but also that he likes what he has experienced during his time training with the club.

Andy Webster won't be a six month signing. If he joins it's going to be with a longer term view to probably move into coaching IMO.

Hopefully Shankland does join today, on the other hand Webster has had plenty of time to accept the offer, he still hasn't so it's time to tell him to find alternative training facilities.

Something that I am pretty sure Gow did a few seasons ago, when he opted to sign for Motherwell after using our better facilities. Saying that, end of the day, you always need to look after number one.

The reverse is actually true in his case. Webster could earn more elsewhere.

If he signs for Saints it will be because he has a great relationship with the manager, but also that he likes what he has experienced during his time training with the club.

Andy Webster won't be a six month signing. If he joins it's going to be with a longer term view to probably move into coaching IMO.

Hopefully your correct Div, I'm sure you will be judging by your last post. If he is maybe thinking long term and sorting some sort of coaching role then it's understandable why it's taken so long.

Something that I am pretty sure Gow did a few seasons ago, when he opted to sign for Motherwell after using our better facilities. Saying that, end of the day, you always need to look after number one.

Yeah he did, I'm all for guys looking after themselves, short career and all that, sometimes feels like we just allow any free agents trot along to use our facility

I wish Murray would lay down the law as far as the offer we have placed on the table and tell Webster that not only is the team waiting, he(Ian Murray)) himself is waiting and most of all the fans, that have shown great patience are waiting, on his signature. It appears this guy Webster seems to be taking us for a ride by using our excellent training facilities to keep himself fit whilst showing he has no intention of signing. I hope I'm wrong and Webster does sign, but as I've said before tell Webster he puts pen to paper and signs or this proud club are willing to wait no longer and will bring someone into the club that meets our high standards and shows a great willingness to play for us.

Shankland is a different story I believe he does want to come on a years loan but McInnes is the spoke in the wheel, either he wants the player to progress his career with us or he doesn't , if McInnes decides its the latter then lets move on for the clubs sake.

Hope we manage to land both Webster and Shankland. It would give the team and the fans a much needed boost. We have a young team and a fairly inexperienced manager who has and will make mistakes. We need to find a balance throughout the team as up till now we are very much work in progress. Thommo can still do us a turn at this level and Shankland or Gallagher playing off him might be the answer. Webster shoring up our back line and Goodwin giving some solidity in the holding role and I reckon things will start looking a lot brighter.

Majority of us Saints fans just want to see a team busting a gut for the stripes ....... give us that and the fans will back the team all the way.

COYS !!