Shankland And Webster

Entirely different club however.

St. Mirren had £3 million of debt when during Gus' first 2 seasons and no training facilities.

Gus' took over from a starting point of trying to stave off relegation to the third tier.

In his first full season in charge he managed to finish second.

Will Ian Murray manage second place from a far better starting point and having far superior resources at his disposal?

Gus did not have Rangers or Hibs to contend with, 2 clubs with far more resources than us. Plus, while we have little debt, we have little financial resources to bring in the quality of player s needed.

I totally understand the logic however I sincerely hope that we have a couple of plan Bs as Webster will clearly only sign for us if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere.

As for Shankland I don't understand why there would be a delay?

I'm perfectly patient as long as we do have other irons in the fire. I also believe that holding out for your preferred options is the correct strategy, as long as we have other options and we have not put all our eggs in one basket.

The manager really wants Shankland, he rates him very highly. Assuming he finally signs we will have beaten off competition from several of our Championship rivals to get him.

Webster is slightly different. This could feasibly be his last move as a player, I assume he wants to take his time and make sure it's the right move for him and maybe his future career as a coach.

If Shankland is as good as everyone here is raving then I am surprised Aberdeen are letting the boy go out on loan. The poor soul will have a lot to live up to if he does come as we have a shower of twats who don't minde giving young players abuse.

As for Webster he holds all the cards ( offer ) hope he joins though I really do.

He is up against McGinn, Hayes, Rooney and Pawlett for a first team place. The sheep have also brought in Josh Parker.

It's for his own benefit that he goes out on loan. From what I have been told, the guy definitely has goals in him and will, if given the right service, score goals at this level. He is very highly rated at Aberdeen.

He's 30-y-o with a history of injuries, has never played for a Top 6 SPFL club and finished third in the Championship with Newco last season - if we were still in the top division I'd feel pretty underwhelmed about signing him.

He's played for Hearts, Rangers and Dundee Utd. I'd class all of them as being in the top six clubs in Scotland, size wise.

He also made 327 career appearances across a 15 year career and played 28 times for his Country.

I'm not saying we are on the verge of signing a Baresi, Maldini or Puyol here but Webster would be a terrific addition to the squad, in my opinion.

He's played for Hearts, Rangers and Dundee Utd. I'd class all of them as being in the top six clubs in Scotland, size wise.

He also made 327 career appearances across a 15 year career and played 28 times for his Country.

I'm not saying we are on the verge of signing a Baresi, Maldini or Puyol here but Webster would be a terrific addition to the squad, in my opinion.

He's referring to McGregor. Edited by Drew

Think he is referring to Daz McGregor mate.

Erm, as Drew & TRZ pointed out I was referring to McGregor who made a surprise appearance in the thread as it headed briefly down a cul-de-sac. All-round good guy as he is I just feel DM would be a bit of a desperation signing for a top flight club.

I'd be delighted if we manage to sign Webster.

I CAN understand the logic of letting Shankland go on loan.

In this day and age of playing one out and out striker with 3 attacking midfielders behind, Aberdeen already have Rooney & Goodwillie and have now brought in Parker as back up. McGinn has also played as a Lon striker as has Kenny McLean.

These guys are proven strikers.

If Shankland goes on loan the he gets the opportunity to prove he can score regularly at a decent level.

If he fails to shine then Aberdeen can let him go. If he does well then they can make a decision to let a high earner like Goodwillie go or they may even have the option of selling him.

St.Johnstone had Stevie May out on loan for 2 full seasons at Alloa & Hamilton where he proved himself. They were then able to bring him back at age 21 and put him straight in the first team.

Far better for him than 2 seasons on the bench and u21 matches.

However... We have to bear in mind here that Aberdeen will be wary of any injuries to their existing strikers before making a final decision

Lets just be patient. I reckon this signing might prove to be worth waiting for.

I CAN understand the logic of letting Shankland go on loan.

In this day and age of playing one out and out striker with 3 attacking midfielders behind, Aberdeen already have Rooney & Goodwillie and have now brought in Parker as back up. McGinn has also played as a Lon striker as has Kenny McLean.

These guys are proven strikers.

If Shankland goes on loan the he gets the opportunity to prove he can score regularly at a decent level.

If he fails to shine then Aberdeen can let him go. If he does well then they can make a decision to let a high earner like Goodwillie go or they may even have the option of selling him.

St.Johnstone had Stevie May out on loan for 2 full seasons at Alloa & Hamilton where he proved himself. They were then able to bring him back at age 21 and put him straight in the first team.

Far better for him than 2 seasons on the bench and u21 matches.

However... We have to bear in mind here that Aberdeen will be wary of any injuries to their existing strikers before making a final decision

Lets just be patient. I reckon this signing might prove to be worth waiting for.

Think Aberdeen have a full complement of strikers.

I understand the hold up is that Aberdeen only want to lend us Shankland until January whereas we want him for the season.

Think Aberdeen have a full complement of strikers.

I understand the hold up is that Aberdeen only want to lend us Shankland until January whereas we want him for the season.

Can you do 6 month loans between clubs in Scotland? I always thought it had to be full season.

I imagine the hold will be as reported previously, an injury to goodwillie or Rooney and Shankland wouldn't be going anywhere

Edited by foxbar_bud

Can you do 6 month loans between clubs in Scotland? I always thought it had to be full season.

I imagine the hold will be as reported previously, an injury to goodwill is or Rooney and Shankland wouldn't be going anywhere

I'm sure you can still do the old fashioned monthly loan deal so if so then nothing to suggest a 6 month deal can be blocked.

I potentially stand to be corrected.

I'm sure you can still do the old fashioned monthly loan deal so if so then nothing to suggest a 6 month deal can be blocked.

I potentially stand to be corrected.

Stand and be corrected... You can only do full season loans in Scotland in this window, but why you can still have emergency loans up here for championship league 1 and 2. You can however (Isma) get a loan in January till season end.

Erm, as Drew & TRZ pointed out I was referring to McGregor who made a surprise appearance in the thread as it headed briefly down a cul-de-sac. All-round good guy as he is I just feel DM would be a bit of a desperation signing for a top flight club.

I'd be delighted if we manage to sign Webster.

Ha ! Sorry mate !

Any loan deal between clubs in the same association can be terminated at any time by the parent club ie; The player can be recalled

So if Aberdeen loaned us Shankland, and 4 of their strikers all got injured, they could feasibly terminate the deal and take him back. Hence I don't think there is any problem about it being a season long loan.

In a cross-border loan situation the player actually effects a transfer from the parent club to the loaning club for the duration of the loan, meaning the player cannot be recalled by the parent club during that loan period no matter what.

That's why very often you see English clubs agreeing to January loans rather than full season loans, as they want to hedge their bets on being able to recall in January.

That's my understanding of it all anyway, I am there to be corrected if I am talking pish!

Interesting to note that Webster is only 33. He seems to have been around forever. He was apparently on the wireless earlier this evening. Did anyone catch it?

On the wireless saying he is keeping his options open and there is other clubs interested.

We need to knock this on the head and move on.

On the wireless saying he is keeping his options open and there is other clubs interested.

We need to knock this on the head and move on.

We certainly can't put all our eggs in one basket, that's for sure. Best to look elsewhere but keep an offer on the table in case we can't bring in another player and Webster decides to opt for us. No point in chasing him at this stage.

Frustrating yes, but no great surprise that he is hedging his bets.

Edited by Drew

The interview on the wireless was non-committal by Webster but a couple of the panel mentioned St Mirren and Webster said how pleased he was to have been given training facilities and that he wanted a new challenge and helping younger players was also something he wants to do. He has been offered a deal by us and several other clubs are also interested but St Mirren was mentioned yet again after that by the panellists. I didn't expect Webster to state that he had signed but the number of times the other panellists mentioned St Mirren suggested to me that we were definitely in the frame.

Probably true for most players these days .

I'm not overly bothered if he dosn't sign . Yes , his experience would help our young squad no end , but you have to question the reason why we're even in with a chance of signing him .

Apparently internal association loans can only be recalled when the transfer window is open. It's only emergency loans can be recalled and even then player must have been at the loaning club for min of 28 days.

If he comes I imagine Shanks will for the season but I guess Aberdeen could recall him in January if they wanted.

Apparently internal association loans can only be recalled when the transfer window is open. It's only emergency loans can be recalled and even then player must have been at the loaning club for min of 28 days.

If he comes I imagine Shanks will for the season but I guess Aberdeen could recall him in January if they wanted.

Are you still confident both players will sign this week Div?