St Mirren V Livingston Championship 29/8/15

shull

Who told you?

BTW the reason he was so good is partly down to him being up against Baird who isn't a right back.

My brother who was at the game, Goodwin is a spent force and a liability, ive saw crap like Alec Bone and Bobby Dawson but he is now just getting embarrassing, so sloppy and slow. Also hear Webster failed a medical at Killie !!

The table doesn't like faraway.

This IS one of the worst Saints sides in 25 years.

5 games now against Championship opposition, 3 of them at home and we've failed to win any of them and lost 3.

That is absolutely abysmal.

Its worse than John fecking Coughlin!

No it's isn't.

My brother who was at the game, Goodwin is a spent force and a liability, ive saw crap like Alec Bone and Bobby Dawson but he is now just getting embarrassing, so sloppy and slow. Also hear Webster failed a medical at Killie !!

You'd better get your f**king ears tested then.

With Watson injured as well as Naismith Murray's options for right back were probably limited, Baird put himself about but it was a clumsy challenge for their penalty. Livi's No.11 took feigning injury to new heights with his antics for their penalty and when he went down clutching his face when McMullan bumped into him. Both times you would have thought he would be off the pitch and out for months with a bad injury but one rub of the magic sponge and he was up and skinning the St Mirren midfield and defence 30 seconds later.

Was at the wrong end of the ground to have a god view but it looked like we had a decent shout for a penalty knocked back. Midfield looks like it will be our achillies heel this year. I thought Goodwin and Mallan were OK, Mallan came into it more later on and was at least getting some decent balls into the box and decent balls forward. For me Agnew offers very little on the ball, often ball watches when he could challenge for headers, rarely tackles.

The biggest disappointment for me was going forward. We often have men in decent positions but seem to wait 30 seconds until the opposition have tracked back and marked the player before trying to pass to them, and once we get towards the box no one apart from McMullan seems to want to take a man on, every once else seems to turn away from goal and pass back, and we fire a high ball in and don't compete for the headers there.

Positives... Jordan Stewart looks like he should do well at left back, Webster looked fine as well, Kelly had a better game alongside Webster, and Langfield had an interesting dribble in midfield where he put his foot on the ball in those few seconds than some of our midfield did all game.

Negatives... Livi had more possession, shots on and off target than we did and seem like more of a team. Goodwin off was a strange substitution and while Morgan did get the ball down and run at Livi it was clear he didn't fancy one on ones with their right back so all we were going to get were winning some throws in further up the pitch.

We started well I thought got the goal in about 3mins and then sat off let Livingston back in the game!

We seem to have no movement not enough player's making runs. The one time we did we scored.

The midfield looked lightweight again Goodwin apart Agnew was poor and got bullied as did Mallan don't know why Gallagher was on the left wing and McMullan never got the ball enough today his pace could open gaps in defences over the season if used correctly!

The defence was quite good today I thought the arrival of Webster seems to have taken away the nervousness from previous games.

Baird played out of position on the right but because of injuries I don't think Murray had much option!

Kelly was good at CB today prefer Baird in there and Kelly at LB but because of injuries it made sense.

Don't think it was a penalty thought the boy was a cheat but having said that would not mind him in our side!

I don't want to have ago at Murray but his subs and his line ups don't make sense to me... Taking off Goodwin playing Gallagher on the left were WTF moments for me!

Why did he not play Gallagher as a Striker? Don't think it was very fair to play Shankland there on his own in his first game having had little or no training time with the team!

And think he took to long to put on Thompson!

Why he signed or plays Gow is a mystery to me!

Very disappointing today after such a good start. We need to get the midfield sorted, I'd give McMullen a free role in behind a front two. Goody did enough to show that he can be our holding mid and tbh I'd put Mallen in Agnews position as he is one of the reasons we keep getting outfought in the middle of the park.

Shankland was feeding on scraps all day but I think he will certainly do us a turn. Oh well onwards and hopefully upwards ..... at some point !

Exactly this, Agnew is poor in central midfield, is so weak and doesn't create anything.

Playing shankland on his own was a mistake, Gallagher was lost out wide and didn't have a great game imo, seen the team in the car and assumed he was playing with 2 up top.....1 ain't working.

McMullen played well enough when he was on the ball, just need to get him it more and he may get that in the middle.

Felt for Baird at right back, never a full back and looked very uncomfortable there.

And think he took to long to put on Thompson!

Why he signed or plays Gow is a mystery to me!

To be honest, I thought Gow did as much during the short period he was on as Thompson did after he was introduced. It was bonkers not to play two up top today. Gallagher and Shankland should have been played alongside one another.

With Watson injured as well as Naismith Murray's options for right back were probably limited, Baird put himself about but it was a clumsy challenge for their penalty. Livi's No.11 took feigning injury to new heights with his antics for their penalty and when he went down clutching his face when McMullan bumped into him. Both times you would have thought he would be off the pitch and out for months with a bad injury but one rub of the magic sponge and he was up and skinning the St Mirren midfield and defence 30 seconds later.

Was at the wrong end of the ground to have a god view but it looked like we had a decent shout for a penalty knocked back. Midfield looks like it will be our achillies heel this year. I thought Goodwin and Mallan were OK, Mallan came into it more later on and was at least getting some decent balls into the box and decent balls forward. For me Agnew offers very little on the ball, often ball watches when he could challenge for headers, rarely tackles.

The biggest disappointment for me was going forward. We often have men in decent positions but seem to wait 30 seconds until the opposition have tracked back and marked the player before trying to pass to them, and once we get towards the box no one apart from McMullan seems to want to take a man on, every once else seems to turn away from goal and pass back, and we fire a high ball in and don't compete for the headers there.

Positives... Jordan Stewart looks like he should do well at left back, Webster looked fine as well, Kelly had a better game alongside Webster, and Langfield had an interesting dribble in midfield where he put his foot on the ball in those few seconds than some of our midfield did all game.

Negatives... Livi had more possession, shots on and off target than we did and seem like more of a team. Goodwin off was a strange substitution and while Morgan did get the ball down and run at Livi it was clear he didn't fancy one on ones with their right back so all we were going to get were winning some throws in further up the pitch.

Think McMullen playing be hid front 2 offers much better threat than playing him wide.

Also wonder if Kelly in a midfield role could offer a bit more dig, plus he has been able in previous seasons to get forward to some effect. Might be worth a try.....

McMullan at the moment reminds me of McGowan in his first season on loan. There's a good player in there, but not yet very effective due to being too greedy and usually loses the ball trying to do too much. If we can get him linking up with Gallagher and Shankland he could be a great signing and help provide service for the other two.

I was at the game today again - my third St Mirren match of the season. I actually thought St Mirren played fairly well for the first hour, then it looked like the team downed tools and did nothing else for the rest of the game. In that last 30 Webster and Langfield started making poor decisions and Agnew appeared to go for over 20 minutes without a touch of the ball - when he did finally get one he gave it away. Could much of the problem be down to fitness? If so that would be worrying. Defensively it was a big improvement over the Morton game.

On the formation it looked like a clear 4-2-3-1 formation to me. Murray switched it to a 4-4-2 when Goodwin came off - at least that's what he indicated with his fingers.

I thought we were going to inflict absolute misery on Livi today, then we scored and, well, that was that.

Our midfield was posted missing all too often. Goodwin apart, they were far too timid. Agnew pulled out of every fifty fifty ball. He was as good as a man down.

I was astounded when Murray withdrew JG as he was a mainstay in the middle of the park.

As someone else pointed out we had ONE shot on target in the second half and that was akin to a back pass.

Felt for Baird at right back, never a full back and looked very uncomfortable there.

What can you do though?

Our regular RB gets a serious injury, then a quality replacement gets a freak injury by running into his own 'keeper.

Fingers crossed that Watson recovers in time for the QOS game.

Thought on positive was that Kelly played much better alongside Webster. However, if Watson is fit I'd put Baird in there and Kelly to LB for the QOS game.

I thought we were going to inflict absolute misery on Livi today, then we scored and, well, that was that.

Our midfield was posted missing all too often. Goodwin apart, they were far too timid. Agnew pulled out of every fifty fifty ball. He was as good as a man down.

I was astounded when Murray withdrew JG as he was a mainstay in the middle of the park.

As someone else pointed out we had ONE shot on target in the second half and that was akin to a back pass.

I thought Goodwin had shaded badly in the fifteen minutes before he was taken off, and at least Murray brought on a more offensive minded player, suggesting he was trying to win the game. Unfortunately, we just lost any shape we'd had.

Jim was good in the first, certainly. Possibly struggling to last much more than 45 minutes, now.

Edited by Drew

Not a great performance but at least we got a point. I think it is worth bearing in mind how many new players we have signed and i think that once the team properly gel, we'll see improved performances. The experience players that we have brought in will make a difference, given time.

Not a great performance but at least we got a point. I think it is worth bearing in mind how many new players we have signed and i think that once the team properly gel, we'll see improved performances. The experience players that we have brought in will make a difference, given time.

I agree, and this is why I will reserve overall judgement until the end of September anyway.

For me, Murray biggest failing thus far is that he is not sending the team out to be as competitive as they should be. Hopefully, the penny will drop soon.

That was hard work. How sh*te are we in midfield? I hate to say it and I know he's gone, but we used to moan about McGinn's lack of creativity. We need someone like him to show some steel and savvy in the middle to win the ball. Every second ball is going to the opposition. Goodwin has the fight, but he's sadly too slow now. It was shocking in there today. If we managed to get the ball, it went square or back, after pissing about with it.

Kelly and Baird kept knocking the ball out when they had time on the ball, putting pressure on us from long throws. They have no confidence or composure, although Baird should be at centre half anyway.

Every time Livi got a throw in our half it was quickly up the line, again putting us under pressure. Our throw ins were waiting for 30 secs for Agnew to show short then the move comes to nothing. We're not Barca, get the ball forward quickly, out wide or down the channels: be direct! And when we get in or near their box, shoot instead of over playing it.

McMullan was the player that stood out again, showing fight and confidence. Great goal too. Stewart looks an ok prospect.

I really fancied a win for us today. Livi are crap, but know how to cheat and ruin a game. We should've been in their faces and have learned from Tuesday. I fear for us against the top teams in this league.

On a plus note, on our pre-match visit to the museum, Buddie the lion was looking well. Haven't seen him in 25 years, but he hasn't aged a bit.

We were poor today. For me the team seem to be playing as individuals. There are no patterns of play or good combinations being formed - maybe it will come. The midfield seemed congested with no-one able to put their foot on the ball to create a bit of time and space, I suspect this is what this division is going to be like - very scrappy matches against physical and aggressive teams. It's not great to watch and there's not much football getting played.

Anyone know why Carswell wasn't in the squad today?

It was a truly awful display.Words can hardly describe it.No shape whatsoever and so many players out of position.Fundamentally we have not enough players in their mid to late twenties who are at their peak.What we have is a load of youngsters and old heads in their thirties.The squad is not right.Murray has s lot do here and as Gilmour has stated we are in a results business.We lost so many second halls against a team of journeymen.I thought this season could not be worse than last.Right now I am questioning my sanity in buying season tickets.I hope Murray is feeling as low as I am right now.Possibly not Hibs won today.

We were poor today. For me the team seem to be playing as individuals. There are no patterns of play or good combinations being formed - maybe it will come. The midfield seemed congested with no-one able to put their foot on the ball to create a bit of time and space, I suspect this is what this division is going to be like - very scrappy matches against physical and aggressive teams. It's not great to watch and there's not much football getting played.

Anyone know why Carswell wasn't in the squad today?

He's got one of those plastic boot things on his injured ankle.

I agree, and this is why I will reserve overall judgement until the end of September anyway.

For me, Murray biggest failing thus far is that he is not sending the team out to be as competitive as they should be. Hopefully, the penny will drop soon.

We are also sitting too deep but I'm hoping that is because we are lacking in confidence and don't want to lose. As the team play more games together and become used to each others habits during games then the performances will improve. There is a good blend of youth and experience in the team and i just think a little patience is what's required.

Six of that Livi line up signed in the close season . Two more only joined six months ago. Didnt seem to hamper them !!