St Mirren V Livingston Championship 29/8/15

shull

One thing about playing baird at right back was the number of long diagonal ball that he got his head onto. Unfortunately no one was getting to the knock downs.

Stewart looks excellent.

Webster was good and to honest I did not think the defence was really troubled. Did Langfield make a save?

Goodwin did well in midfield. Yes baffling to take him off.

The rest of the boys were all good in patches even Agnew came into it more towards the end.

When Agnew scored two against Berwick the boy next to me said St Mirren would soon put a stop to all that shooting nonsense and it looks as if that's exactly what's happened.

Frustrating. There's a a team there just need to get the tactics right.

Spalfing does seem like a total nerd. When u compare him to even livis asst manager david Hopkin

Must be hard for our experienced players to listen to Spalding just seems like a total bender

Wish he went fir an asst manager with experience. We badly need an Alex smith like figure around our club. Even a tony fitzy

Fcuking hell.... Get a grip of yerself man...

What really annoyed me today was our movement!

Throw ins...No runner's to often played to Agnew who miss controlled or over hit the return pass. Taking too long to take them and allowing Livingston time to get in position!

Corners... Deliveries were ok but again NO movement to often cleared and only for our midfield to get bullied out of possesion or over play it!

Free Kicks... Again same problem's NO movement and failed to take quick free kicks in midfield!

Genral play... The one run we did have today we scored with! Then we stopped let a poor team dictate play!

The real problem for me is the make up of our squad.Too many youths and over 30s.We have few players at their peak i.e.mid to late 20s.The balance is not right.Murray has lost valuable time and I don't like saying it but I have real concerns.Today's performance was abysmal.On another note Thompson and Gow should be moved on.

We didn't lose.

Murray said afterwards he had no complaints about the penalty. This was just after Burchill twice needlessly lost the plot at one reporter (not me) for asking a fairly innocuous question, which was probably the highlight of my day.

I know we didn't lose. I was there.

However, it's a home game against a supposedly weaker team. We were 1-0 after 3 minutes and were pressing fantastically well. we ended up not taking 3 points. That's a loss in my eyes.

Spalfing does seem like a total nerd. When u compare him to even livis asst manager david Hopkin

Must be hard for our experienced players to listen to Spalding just seems like a total bender

Wish he went fir an asst manager with experience. We badly need an Alex smith like figure around our club. Even a tony fitzy

What a f**king shocking post. Hang your head mate.

I didn't just see the penalty, I heard it.

Baird - who was ridiculously deployed at right back* - wiped the yellow belly out. Shin to shin and clatter.

* kelly should have been rb and Jack should have been cb.

Not even that. We should have went 3 at the back. f**king baffling by Murray. Every supporter called that bar him.

Just back from the game, disappointing performance after coming out the traps and taking the lead early on. Tbh I'm not sure what the tactics are when we get the ball? I have attended 2 games and seen 2 on TV, what's the plan, We have the making of a good team, some good pace in a number of positions now but we never seem to use it, goody was great as was Webster.

The managers comments after the game were terrible, said we started the 2nd half well then had a drop that we knew would happen. FFS if the players you select can't give their all for 90 minutes then get them to f**k and if you can't get 90 minutes out them, then your doing something wrong.

On a brighter note ,wee McMullan was good again he was even winning headers and putting in another great shift ,if they all put in that effort we will be up there in no time. Worth going along just to watch him.

sorry, he is too lightweight and is easily brushed aside

I don't know if there is a better way to use his skill, hopefully there is

Edited by beyond our ken

May well be the case he is lightweight but he's not scared to get involved ,he looks about 15 but his effort is great , better way to use his skill is to give him a free role ,that's one for the management to sort out mate.

Eh, did you see his goal ?, he put a six footer to the ground with a shoulder challenge on his way

to scoring yesterday..

Cracking wee player.. he at least's gives the crowd a bit of excitement when he's on the ball..

Eh, did you see his goal ?, he put a six footer to the ground with a shoulder challenge on his way

to scoring yesterday..

Cracking wee player.. he at least's gives the crowd a bit of excitement when he's on the ball..

He also won a fair few headers yesterday. Desperately need to get him more involved in games. Just gee him the baw!

to scoring yesterday..

I think he is an excellent player, but needs to bulk up. I'm not sure that he has that type of physique though and his pace might suffer if he does

Shankland also seems afflicted by a developing case of Lavety Arse. He needs to not bulk up, he'll be great if he can work that out

Hope the management team read these posts on here, not sure if they do? If not, they should.

Our midfield and defence sit way too deep, inviting even ordinary teams on to us.

Hope Agnew just had a bad day at he office today, as it was a really bad one.

Nobody in stadium could understand taking Goodwin off? Why?

We need to get McMullen more involved, more often. Somehow.

Thought Webster was good, make him captain now.

Atmosphere in stadium needs improving and PA output needs to be better.

I'm sure there is a lot more to add.........

PS Well done to the wheelchair Buddies going round the ground. Great stuff from them.

I agree with most of that. But I'll again say that I thought for the first 60 minutes St Mirren were the better side. I don't think St Mirren sat deep at all during that period. I'd be interested to see the statistics up to that point but I thought St Mirren were far more progressive. I am no supporter of the kind of football Jim Goodwin plays, but I have to say that he appears to have been the driving force. Once he went off St Mirren allowed Livingston to dictate the play and the pace of the game and that should be unforgivable.

Aside from that I absolutely agree that St Mirren need to do much more to get McMullen on the ball. He was the one player that appeared capable of providing some attacking threat for the club. He does have a tendency to take on one man too many, or to pick the wrong option when it comes to the final ball but that will come for him as he gets more game time. I'd also agree that Agnew isn't good enough. His distribution is dreadful and he doesn't do much in a ball winning capacity either, oh and his set pieces have been dreadful in every one of the three matches I've seen this season.

Webster was OK for me. He did make a couple of poor mistakes but he got away with them in the end. The one that stood out for me was where he ducked out of a header on a cross ball from the Livingston left. It left the striker with the whole goal to aim at and no-one marking him. The Livi lad put the ball wide but that could have been much more costly.

Another plus, to my mind, was young Shankland. He looked lively during the first 60 minutes. His turn and shot that battered the post was a touch of class. In the latter stages of the game though it wouldn't have mattered had St Mirren brought on Messi and Suarez, they simply couldn't get the ball up to the front men. That part of the game was excruciating to watch and the young lad who came on to play on the left wing really doesn't look like he's ready at all - either physically or in terms of ability.

Not sure how the "atmosphere" can be improved without the team on the park doing the business. If the football is exciting to watch and St Mirren are playing well there will be noise. If it's as turgid as it was in the last 30 minutes it'll not be long before the few remaining supporters are using St Mirren Park for a bit of peace and quiet from the family to get some much needed shut eye.

McMullan's goal came from being in the middle of the park and running straight through their defence. It is in the middle he can cause most damage.

I would like to see him play just behind Shankland and Gallacher in the position of McGowan/McLean. We do not need dedicated wingers if Thommo is not playing so use a diamond in midfiled with Shankland and Gallagher providing forward movement allowing the likes of McMullan and Mallan to support them and run beyond them. Keep the ball on the deck and forget the long ball game. But we also need another experienced midfielder to complete the midfield.