St Mirren V Livingston Championship 29/8/15

shull

What can you do though?

Our regular RB gets a serious injury, then a quality replacement gets a freak injury by running into his own 'keeper.

Fingers crossed that Watson recovers in time for the QOS game.

Thought on positive was that Kelly played much better alongside Webster. However, if Watson is fit I'd put Baird in there and Kelly to LB for the QOS game.

Agree and it wasn't meant as a criticism of Murray, I guess Cuddihy could have played who I think is a natural right back but I haven't seen him play so not sure how good or strong he is.

And yes thought Kelly and Webster did ok in the main today.

Midfield was the problem and the decision to play 1 up front, again....

On another note. Discussed with a few people today the impact these displays will have on the crowd.

If these dismal displays continue for much longer , we will lose very many , possible hundreds from the home support. Once the weather turns , will we see them back ?

Over 2600 season tickets sold , 3000 crowd today (180 ferranti fans) . Already showing that STHs are missing games . Not Good.

Worrying signs at this point in the season... many of Murray's early signings have yet to show they can make a positive contribution to the first team this year: Gow, Thompson, Conlan, Howieson, Agnew, Carswell. Our midfield has looked second best in every game (except that stunning win against Berwick) and in the league the results AND performances have been poor and we now face a run of games against Queen of the South, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and Hibs where we have to hope that as the quality of opposition improves we begin rising to the challenge, otherwise we will go into October already out on contention for the play off places.

Well yet again I got to the game full of optimism that this will be the game it all changes, again you leave wondering what's happened to St. Mirren?

Again, we started the game with pace going forward, scored a goal then shat it. Livingston are utter shite but we've failed to beat them at home, twice in the same week.

Murray subs were very strange, Jim Goodwin is the only player on the park for us today with a bit of commitment and determination and he takes him off! Leaves a player like Agnew on who has been completely hopeless apart from a few wonder goals. He takes Gallagher off, when imo was playing much better than Shankland.

No urgency to go and try and win the game... We got a throw in with only minutes remaining and nobody seemed to give a f**k about getting the ball back in play and trying to sneak a winner.

Absolutely terrible, we will be battling to stay in this league if the shit we've been dished up so far doesn't change quickly.

They were shite, too.

They grabbed a precious away point & gave us our arse on a plate on Tuesday by all accounts !!

My point, as i`ve made elsewhere is this Drew. Most clubs at this level have to rebuild every year because of Loans , short contracts etc. We are not unique and should not be cut any slack because of our "re-building" Time to step up to the plate .

Penalty award in front of us. Didn't look a penalty to me, or people sitting around us. Will have to see again.

What happened to the injury time?

All in all, decent enough, but again, not enough in midfield. Referee has been shite, but so it goes.

Good to see forward players with a bit of pace and mobility.

He played 43 seconds.

OK we've been a bit unlucky with regards to the RB position as FTOF said but other than that Murray has been able to put together a decent looking squad and it's his job to improvise & overcome problems like DL did two seasons ago.

The honeymoon's over...........

You're absolutely right, we have to be competing for top 4 and anything else is failure imo

I do think he has signed relatively well (Gow apart), for this level anyway....he just needs to get a settled formation competing and winning some games....easy peasy:-) oh and feckin play 2 up front....

The fact our defence sits so deep leaves acres of space for any team even Berwick had a lot of the ball. The defence needs to push up which in turn pushes the midfield up towards the forwards....Its not hard to see .

I did notice today that Goodwin was constantly shouting "Press, press, press!" to the midfield. No surprise we sat back even deeper when he went off (a baffling substitution).

I was at the game today again - my third St Mirren match of the season. I actually thought St Mirren played fairly well for the first hour, then it looked like the team downed tools and did nothing else for the rest of the game. In that last 30 Webster and Langfield started making poor decisions and Agnew appeared to go for over 20 minutes without a touch of the ball - when he did finally get one he gave it away. Could much of the problem be down to fitness? If so that would be worrying. Defensively it was a big improvement over the Morton game.

On the formation it looked like a clear 4-2-3-1 formation to me. Murray switched it to a 4-4-2 when Goodwin came off - at least that's what he indicated with his fingers.

You have taken me by surprise there StuDick me' old friend.... An hour? I thought we played fairly well for the first five-ten minutes, then we were out-muscled and out-fought by a borderline dirty Ferranti Thistle - who did to us exactly what I predicted before a ball was kicked this season. That being, this league is full of battle-hardened solid outfits, well versed in the 'first division' and not averse to a bit of needle.

We are allowing teams to bully us, boss us in midfield, and when needed, kick us. Alex Neil and Martin Canning perfected the technique last season. We look like boys against men. While I appreciate we are a 'young team', the manager assembled this team, and we are getting our arses kicked.

I am not so sure this is a squad good enough to be anywhere near the playoffs. Time will tell. Too many new players have not impressed me but most are young and could improve but the initial signs from many are not great. Midfield is a huge problem. We signed 4 midfielders in Agnew, Howieson, Carswell and Gow and old warhorse Goodwin is better than the four of them so far.

Midfield get no chance what so ever with the current tactics all I can say about the midfield is that Goody aside they don't fancy a tackle. We Must get them more involved then we might get into games. So far we have failed to win any midfield battle and hence can't win games. Totally down to tactics for me.

Based on today's showing and the games I have seen this season I actually don't think Murray has got a clue what he is doing.

It's a bad sign for the new manager when a level-headed poster like Mr Zo has formed a negative opinion so early in the new regime.

Taking Goodwin off was a baffler for me when so many others were struggling.

Let's hope Murray now realises that young Baird is not a right back.

Not long home, that was dreadful again, midfield simply isn't good enough, Agnew has a decent strike on him but that's as far as it goes, I really don't think he has the ability to dominate games.

Our midfield had been dominated every game so far this season bar the Berwick Rangers game.

If there is any budget left it must be used on strengthening the midfield.

No point signing a goalscorer like shankland if we can't create chances for him, that boy is going to get very frustrated with the lack of service.