The Times They Have A Changed!

Bud the Baker

Listening to one of the Classic Rock music stations on SKY after the cricket finished and the first three tracks were

One of These Nights - The Eagles

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division

Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton

Whatever happened to 1977 being the Year Zero of music?

Of course I realize it's all based on me being a white, just turned 50 but still tryin' to cling on my youth sorta dude, but still...

Obviously no disco, rap or (overlong) prog trax...

...and I'm talkin' to you Mr. E.A. Blair.

IMO Music stopped progressing circa 1986. Pretty much everything popular since then has been sampled or ripped off.. It's certainly been a long long time since there was an album released that I couldn't wait to get my hands on, or a recent track that manages to stay on any of my Spotify playlists for more than a couple of weeks.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Um, that automatic DJ's just gotta be the whitest dude ever

I mean Billy Idol, Dire Straits followed by The Stranglers......

Walk This Way - the Aerosmith punk.gif version - in this day and age

and now Down, Down by the (mighty) Quo

OK, I like all the music and own most of it but I'll be returning to Radio 6 and the odd challenging bangin.gif track soon - but not quite yet! whistling.gif

IMO Music stopped progressing circa 1986. Pretty much everything popular since then has been sampled or ripped off.. It's certainly been a long long time since there was an album released that I couldn't wait to get my hands on, or a recent track that manages to stay on any of my Spotify playlists for more than a couple of weeks.

There is plenty good music out there Stuart its what we are being fed by commercial radio stations and TV that is the problem. Independent labels and self financed albums don't get aired because they don't have the money to 1- pat stations for air play 2- Pay for support acts on tours. The music scene is one big mess for new talent to come through.

At the recent Bute Fest I seen a rock band called King Lot the first rock band in a long time that did it for me. So myself and three of my mates are going to see them play in the Edinburgh Voodoo Rooms. They are playing with another two rock bands from England who are on the verge of big things in the rock scene .

That was just luck on my part seeing King Lot. Roughly buy around a dozen albums a month sadly three quarters of that will be older music as I cant find the newer stuff I like.

There is plenty good music out there Stuart its what we are being fed by commercial radio stations and TV that is the problem. Independent labels and self financed albums don't get aired because they don't have the money to 1- pat stations for air play 2- Pay for support acts on tours. The music scene is one big mess for new talent to come through.

At the recent Bute Fest I seen a rock band called King Lot the first rock band in a long time that did it for me. So myself and three of my mates are going to see them play in the Edinburgh Voodoo Rooms. They are playing with another two rock bands from England who are on the verge of big things in the rock scene .

That was just luck on my part seeing King Lot. Roughly buy around a dozen albums a month sadly three quarters of that will be older music as I cant find the newer stuff I like.

I can't claim to understand how the music industry works but I would have thought that the likes of iTunes and Spotify would have opened up the market to Independent Labels. If a friend of mine managed to get his vanity album onto iTunes to sell 15 copies you'd think anyone else would be able to do it too.

Um, that automatic DJ's just gotta be the whitest dude ever

I mean Billy Idol, Dire Straits followed by The Stranglers......

Walk This Way - the Aerosmith punk.gif version - in this day and age

and now Down, Down by the (mighty) Quo

OK, I like all the music and own most of it but I'll be returning to Radio 6 and the odd challenging bangin.gif track soon - but not quite yet! whistling.gif

The Stranglers - Nice And Sleazy that is an a classic

How the fcuk can music stop 'progressing'. It isn't mobile phone technology or more fuel-efficient internal combustion engines we're talking about here, it's a completely subjective artform.

I blame the SNP. It's clearly Sturgeon's fault that Radiohead have been shite since 'OK Computer'.

The Stranglers - Nice And Sleazy that is an a classic

The Stranglers choon was Something Batter Change.

What I was trying to say was that back in the day you wouldn't have expected to hear the three songs mentioned played in sequence, would have struggled to find many people who would admit to liking all three but now they seem to be part of the Great Rock Songbook.

Yesterday I filmed a 3 song performance by the wittily named Sparks/Franz Ferdinand collaboration 'FFS'. Now there's a new album I can't wait to get, bloody good it was too. It's on the BBC Edinburgh Festival programme this Saturday btw.

You think they're the same genre? I don't ever recall a JD song featuring a banjo or a singing guitar. With music there's no such thing as bad taste...just your own and everyone else's.

They were consecutive tracks on the playlist of a "classic rock" radio station (2 up from R4 & Test Match Special), Shorn of it's original post-punk context is LWTUA anything more than another track in the "Great Rock Songbook"? Perhaps there's more that connects the three acts than separates them - looking back from 2015 you could argue that The Bee Gees in their Saturday Night Fever period were more alternative than Joy Division.

As for your second point that there's no such thing as bad taste in music - I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm thinking about the domination of the charts by Karaoke led phenomena like Pop Star/Idols, Britain's Got Talent and Glee in recent times.

Edited by Bud the Baker

The fact that they dominate the charts means that some people don't class them as bad taste, surely that only underpins Orwell's statement?

Perhaps - I've got no axe to grind with any act making their own music, even covering other peoples work or sampling as long as they put a bit of effort in, so to me that includes acts as cheesy as The Monkees, Jive Bunny or The Barron Knights, but the music coming from the prime time TV shows I mentioned, well known songs rehashed with familiar and/or unchallenging arrangements, are relying on soap opera, either fictional or real-life, to sell. I'd say that people buying that sorta music are displaying bad taste.

They were consecutive tracks on the playlist of a "classic rock" radio station (2 up from R4 & Test Match Special), Shorn of it's original post-punk context is LWTUA anything more than another track in the "Great Rock Songbook"? Perhaps there's more that connects the three acts than separates them - looking back from 2015 you could argue that The Bee Gees in their Saturday Night Fever period were more alternative than Joy Division.

As for your second point that there's no such thing as bad taste in music - I'm not sure I agree with that. I'm thinking about the domination of the charts by Karaoke led phenomena like Pop Star/Idols, Britain's Got Talent and Glee in recent times.

The 60s , 70s , 80s , 90s right up to todays music has always had manufactured or Karaoke singers in the pop charts when their is money to be made they will be there. I was into a Cetic Rock band Horslips who were manufactured for a Guinness advert in Southern Ireland , they were brilliant. A rich Dutchman put Supertramp together as his plaything.

What you should ask yourself Colin , if you were asked to put a rock play list together would you put these tracks together.

For me JD are a myth over blown ,yes I own two of their albums they are ok but certainly not legends. Rock absolutely not.

Eagles - One of These Nights could be Nile Rogers or Cool In The Gang after a few joints putting a white boy in the mic to sing. Not a song I would put on a rock playlist.

Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton yes good rock song but he was only ever a one song wonder , still it would fit into rock.

Seems to me the guy who put the play list together is just playing tracks he likes rather than what is says on the tin.

The 60s , 70s , 80s , 90s right up to todays music has always had manufactured or Karaoke singers in the pop charts when their is money to be made they will be there. I was into a Cetic Rock band Horslips who were manufactured for a Guinness advert in Southern Ireland , they were brilliant. A rich Dutchman put Supertramp together as his plaything.

Yeah, back in the day quite a few bands had esoteric tales behind their formation however both of the bands singled out above were composed of musicians who after a few twists produced original music which stood up without the hype/soap opera of the acts I mentioned. I'm not even trying to say their was a period when it wasn't "all about the money, money, money" just that there is a case to be made for the taste in appreciating music.

For me JD are a myth over blown ,yes I own two of their albums they are ok but certainly not legends. Rock absolutely not.

Eagles - One of These Nights could be Nile Rogers or Cool In The Gang after a few joints putting a white boy in the mic to sing. Not a song I would put on a rock playlist.

Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton yes good rock song but he was only ever a one song wonder , still it would fit into rock.

Seems to me the guy who put the play list together is just playing tracks he likes rather than what is says on the tin.

See, my purpose in starting this thread was to tease EA Blair whom I have known for 30 years now - and possibly The Sandman if he still reads the forum.

I doubt there are many other JD tracks that would make it onto a rock radio playlist but they're part of the gumbo. More interesting to me is your reasons to exclude One of These Nights, The Eagles acknowledged their love of Motown and this is one of the tracks where this is obvious. Also would you exclude Bowie's Let's Dance album which was co-produced by Nile Rogers?

As ever don't knock the rock! punk.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker