More Freeloaders Announced.

Callum Gilhooley

Leaving aside MM (and like HHiBSS I wouldn't wub.png ) the main problem with the Lords nowadays is that every time there is a change of government they feel the need to add more placemen & women to ensure their Bills are not ripped apart in the Upper House so instead of wasting away it gets bigger & bigger & bigger.

Time to bite the bullet & close it.

Guest TPAFKATS

Not just the Tories, 3 lib dem donors honored all of them also donated to Cleggs constituency party.

They really should consider dropping the "Democrats" from their name.

Labour have allegedly been planning to abolish the HoL for the last century. Darling used to campaign for it when he was a Marxist...

800+ lords @ £300/day = A near possible quarter of a million pounds a day.

For not one publicly elected representative of the people.

Talk about jobs for the boys.

Totally agree Cockles. The House of Lords is outdated and its a waste of taxpayers money. You're figures are interesting and I share your outrage.

I tried to see what the comparative cost of the Scottish Parliament was - you know, just so we could get some context. The only figure I could find for the annual cost of running our Parliament was from 2009 so it's a bit out of date, however back then the figure was £72m per annum. MSPs salaries have all since increased as has the cost of maintenance and I haven't seen any news reports of massive job losses in the Parliament so forgive me if I take a bit of licence on this and suggest that those costs have probably increased in the last six years.

Anyway using the £72m figure, dividing it by 3 - the number of days the Scottish Parliament sits per week, then dividing that by 52 weeks (generously giving the Parliament the benefit of the doubt that they do work all 52 weeks of the year which ofcourse isn't true) that would bring the average daily cost of our Mickey Mouse Parliament at £461,538.47. I'm sure, given your view on the House of Lords you'll be keen to back me when I say we should also close the Scottish Parliament, especially as that really is a case of jobs for the boys with so many MSP's having been selected by their party leaders on the list system. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Not just the Tories, 3 lib dem donors honored all of them also donated to Cleggs constituency party.

They really should consider dropping the "Democrats" from their name.

Labour have allegedly been planning to abolish the HoL for the last century. Darling used to campaign for it when he was a Marxist...

Yes but that position , didn't pay well. .

Totally agree Cockles. The House of Lords is outdated and its a waste of taxpayers money. You're figures are interesting and I share your outrage.

I tried to see what the comparative cost of the Scottish Parliament was - you know, just so we could get some context. The only figure I could find for the annual cost of running our Parliament was from 2009 so it's a bit out of date, however back then the figure was £72m per annum. MSPs salaries have all since increased as has the cost of maintenance and I haven't seen any news reports of massive job losses in the Parliament so forgive me if I take a bit of licence on this and suggest that those costs have probably increased in the last six years.

Anyway using the £72m figure, dividing it by 3 - the number of days the Scottish Parliament sits per week, then dividing that by 52 weeks (generously giving the Parliament the benefit of the doubt that they do work all 52 weeks of the year which ofcourse isn't true) that would bring the average daily cost of our Mickey Mouse Parliament at £461,538.47. I'm sure, given your view on the House of Lords you'll be keen to back me when I say we should also close the Scottish Parliament, especially as that really is a case of jobs for the boys with so many MSP's having been selected by their party leaders on the list system. rolleyes.gif

Thats the best you can come up with ? blink.png

You try & compare a democratically elected Parliament with a bunch of freeloaders (many of whom are already Millionaires) picking up expenses at the taxpayers cost & we can do nothing about it ??? wacko.png

Pathetic attempt 0/10 must do better !thumbdown.gif

Thats the best you can come up with ? blink.png

You try & compare a democratically elected Parliament with a bunch of freeloaders (many of whom are already Millionaires) picking up expenses at the taxpayers cost & we can do nothing about it ??? wacko.png

Pathetic attempt 0/10 must do better !thumbdown.gif

Democratically elected? Really? Would you mind telling me who voted for Jean Urquhart or John Finnie?

Many of our current crop of MSPs hold their seat at Holyrood because their party was second or third choice voted by the electorate. Many weren't voted for at all and instead got in through the list system.

Democratically elected? Really? Would you mind telling me who voted for Jean Urquhart or John Finnie?

Many of our current crop of MSPs hold their seat at Holyrood because their party was second or third choice voted by the electorate. Many weren't voted for at all and instead got in through the list system.

They were elected according the rules - although the ship has already sailed I'd like to remind you that it's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.

Edited by Bud the Baker

They were elected according the rules - although the ship has already sailed I'd like to remind you that it's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.

That ship has not only sailed, it's disappeared over the horizon.

Those in the House of Lords were appointed according to the rules. It's really simple. The House of Lords is a waste of money, the Scottish Parliament is an even bigger waste of money. There's not many political parties that would get away with arguing that that what the UK needs is more politicians but the SNP fanboys really are that gullible that the SNP get away with it every time. :rolleyes:

Those in the House of Lords were appointed according to the rules. It's really simple. The House of Lords is a waste of money, the Scottish Parliament is an even bigger waste of money. There's not many political parties that would get away with arguing that that what the UK needs is more politicians but the SNP fanboys really are that gullible that the SNP get away with it every time. rolleyes.gif

That is the point of the thread and no amount of waffle will change that, as the Irishman said "I wouldn't be starting from here if I was going there" - how many people would actually support the HoL if it was put to the test?

Compare this with 74% of the Scottish electorate voted for a devolved parliament and more politicians back in the 1997, a vote campaigned for by not just the SNP but by all the significant Scottish parties except the Conservatives.

Trying to compare the HoL with Hollyrood just proves what I said back in post#21!

Edited by Bud the Baker

snore.gif

That is the point of the thread and no amount of waffle will change that, as the Irishman said "I wouldn't be starting from here if I was going there" - how many people would actually support the HoL if it was put to the test?

Compare this with 74% of the Scottish electorate voted for a devolved parliament and more politicians back in the 1997, a vote campaigned for by not just the SNP but by all the significant Scottish parties except the Conservatives.

Trying to compare the HoL with Hollyrood just proves what I said back in post#21!

It simply shows how hypocritical the Natsi agenda is though. I totally agree with the point that the House of Lords is an expensive waste of taxpayers money and I'd be happy for it to be scrapped - but if we are really serious about scrapping wasteful spending on politics then clearly we need to look at the huge piles of cash being wasted at Holyrood, at all of the different Welsh Assembly buildings, and at Stormont - as well as on nonsense political positions that were created under the last Labour Government like Mayor of London.

It's more than a bit rich to claim that your party agenda is to end Child Poverty when you are insistent that Scotland needs to spend £400k per day on a chattering shop for reserve politicians, when your First Minister is paid a salary greater than that of Prime Minister, and where your former party leader is stealing a wage out of each parliament building and a pensions from both as well.

Very true and I noticed all the Conservative list MPs refused to attend parliament on principle or are you an independent for the purposes of this discussion only?