1973/74 Team Photo

yani

This belter turned up on my Twitter timeline today.

This was a couple of seasons before I started watching the Saints so I don't recognise many of the players. Any older Buds able to put names to them?

Love that they're not all wearing the same shirt..

post-6782-0-94350200-1440688773_thumb.jp

Edited by yani

Back L-R , Henry Mowbray , ? , Graham Hart , Jim Herriot , ? , Tony Fitzpatrick , Paul Stewart.

Middle , Johnny Fulton , John Dickson , Sandy Cleland , Brian Third , Jason Walker ,Ricky McLachlan, Wilson Lamb , John Jamieson , Dave Millar

Front - Willie Cunningham , Bobby McKean , Gus McLeod , Billy Johnston , Jim Taylor , David Robertson , ?

6 players there who played in the 4-1 victory at Ibrox in august '72 v RFC ECWC winning team :-)

Edited by billyg

Back L-R , Henry Mowbray , ? , Graham Hart , Jim Herriot , ? , Tony Fitzpatrick , Paul Stewart.

Middle , Johnny ? , John Dickson , Sandy Cleland , Brian Third , Jason Walker ,Ricky McLachlan, Wilson Lamb , John Jamieson , Dave Millar

Front - Willie Cunningham , Bobby McKean , Gus McLeod , Billy Johnston , Jim Taylor , David Robertson , ?

6 players there who played in the 4-1 victory at Ibrox in august '72 v RFC ECWC winning team :-)

Billy in 73-74 would have expected Stan Quinn. Also around would have been Ian Dick, Tommy? Robertson and maybe even Bobby Biggar

Middle , Johnny ? , John Dickson , Sandy Cleland , Brian Third , Jason Walker ,Ricky McLachlan, Wilson Lamb , John Jamieson , Dave Millar

Bobby McKean was the outstanding player a real hero with Saints fans until he joined Rangers and kissed their badge in front of the northbank. Sadly could not get into his house one winter evening so put his car into the garage closed the doors kept the engine running to keep warm he feel asleep with the engine fumes killing him at a young age.

Billy in 73-74 would have expected Stan Quinn. Also around would have been Ian Dick, Tommy? Robertson and maybe even Bobby Biggar

That pic was obviously taken pre-season as Stan Quinn ,George Caldwell , Willie McCallum and Alan Hughes were in the team that season but hadn't signed when this was taken. Bobby Biggar was '74 as was Robert Laurie mentioned in another post !

We scored four goals at Ibrox but still went out of the cup.

No we didn't ,not that night anyway , it was a Sectional League Cup tie and that victory put us into 2nd place behind Rangers in the section with two games to go. It was Ayr United , Phil McGovern in particular , who put us out the following weekend !

Bobby McKean was the outstanding player a real hero with Saints fans until he joined Rangers and kissed their badge in front of the northbank. Sadly could not get into his house one winter evening so put his car into the garage closed the doors kept the engine running to keep warm he feel asleep with the engine fumes killing him at a young age.

That'll teach the c**t for kissing a *** badge infront of the Northbank. No sympathy!

How the f**k could we have such an excellent kit back then and now have to deal with these JD shit jobs?!

ETA: **** *** *** ****** **** rangers *** ***

Edited by Kemp

The season started promisingly with progression through the group phase of the league cup and 5 wins from the first six league matches. However from then on it was a downward spiral as Willie Cunningham tried to achieve the right blend of experience and youth without success. There were several heavy defeats along the way, 3-5 and 1-6 against Airdrie and 0-5 against Montrose in front of only 700 spectators. At the end of the season saints were in 11th place in the second division, a lowly 29th in Scotland. This remains the lowest ever position Saints have finished a league season.

Ah f**k!

Different world wasn't it? Hillman Imps and Slade / Sweet / T Rex on the radio. Tank tops and a package holiday in Benidorm glamourous jet-setting....

I existed in that world. I wore that tank top and went to see Slade in 1974.

I now find it hard to believe those days actually happened. Seems a different world... Nay, a different planet.

Different world wasn't it? Hillman Imps and Slade / Sweet / T Rex on the radio. Tank tops and a package holiday in Benidorm glamourous jet-setting....

I existed in that world. I wore that tank top and went to see Slade in 1974.

I now find it hard to believe those days actually happened. Seems a different world... Nay, a different planet.

5-0 pumping off Montrose easily achievable though...

I used to have that strip that Billy Johnston is wearing. They used to stock it all year round in Alexanders IIRC. Far better service than those JD cnuts.

Oh aye and nae pink/orange/blue jessie boots in sight.

Modern day fitba is PISH.

I might drop Fitzy an email asking him who he remembers from this.

Although I'm sure Tedious Tom. Shull, Billy G and Bluto who are much older than me may know some other names.

I recognised NO ONE in that footie.

(Not even the manager)

None of them memorable enough or good enough to care about. A shite team in those days...

I was working abroad in 72 then remotely in the Heelans for most of 73.

I was lucky there was no interweb in those days or I would have been experiencing virtual meltdowns.