Andy Webster

Good signing,

kelly back to LB then? Might just sort out our shaky defence, Shanks and Gallagher up top, just need to sort out the midfied now

If we play Shankland and Gallagher up top we don not need wingers. Play a diamond with McMullan behind the two strikers, Goody in front of the defence and Mallan and Agnew in the middle. Sorted :)

Yeah you do have to laugh at all our fans who were telling the manager to tell Webster to ' chase himself ' and ' get to f**k ' and 'move on to other targets' etc. Thank goodness the manager never listened to them eh!

This is a real coup for Murray and the club. This is our best signing on paper since Thompson in 2012.

Webster is an experienced international player with 28 Scotland caps, he's a Scottish cup winning captain and he was playing regularly in League 1 with Coventry last season. He's just turned 33 too so is a decent age. In terms of caliber, he's right at the top end of what a club like us could be signing.

Now just official confirmation...

Certainly got a few folk wound up. thumbup2.gif

Believe it was Kilmarnock who came in at the 11th hour and tried to pinch Webster. He spoke with them out of courtesy but he had already made his mind up that he was coming to Saints.

Good on you lad !

He must have got lost as "Twatter" said he was at Firhill. 1eye.gif

Let that be a lesson to all the twats, don't believe all you read. whistling.gif

Think this week has been the lift we have all needed. Brings positivity going into tomorrows game. These were our top targets and although it took a while to get them over the line, it has been worth the wait.

I wouldnt mind if we now brought in another central midfielder before the window closes.

I know someone who will be busily trying to put a negative slant on this. 1eye.gif

Choose from:

1) It's Murray's fault he didn't sign sooner

2) It's Murray's fault Webster isn't five years younger

3) Tommy Craig was Murray's fault

4) It's Murray's fault the Chinese economy is slowing and threatening another global crash.

Grease was and still is the word.

Welcome to St Mirren Football Club.

two of the best signings in this division this week - now to get them all to play together, but well done on all concerned on getting them over the line. now for an unbeaten run through to the end of the season.

From OS

St Mirren have this morning signed central defender Andy Webster on a one year deal with the option of a further year.

Subject to international clearance Andy will be in the squad for tomorrow’s Ladbrokes Championship match-up with Livingston at St Mirren Park.

The Scotland cap started his career with Arbroath where he spent two years before signing for Heart of Midlothian in 2001. Andy made 184 appearances for the Jambos before heading south to Wigan Athletic in the summer of 2006. Six months later he was out on loan to Rangers for the next 18 months before making the move more permanent ahead of the start of the 2008/09 season.

Loan spells with Bristol City and Dundee United ultimately led to a departure from Ibrox in January 2011 with the defender returning to Tynecastle where he stayed until the summer of 2013 when he moved south again to Coventry City who he left at the end of last season.

Andy, who has been assigned squad number 4, said of his move to St Mirren, “I’m delighted. It has been ongoing for a bit, initially I was in to train and then obviously the manager asked me to come into the football club and I was delighted to make that decision.

“Hopefully I can bring a bit of experience, not just to the defence but to the group as a whole.

“The manager’s eagerness to get me in, allowing me to come in and train and that feeling of someone wanting you.

“I took my boys to the Dumbarton game here and the staff were like ‘come in, have a cup of tea’, all these kind of feel good factors around the football club, these are all important things.”

Ian Murray said of his latest signing, “To finally get him is good news for us. The way Andy goes about his training and the way he plays the game will be huge for us.

“Andy is an out-and-out centre half, he’ll certainly organise players and he’s a fantastic player for Sean [Kelly] and Jack [baird] to learn off, he’ll help them enormously.

“Andy goes straight into the 18 along with Lawrence [shankland].”

Two signings that lets be honest, make last season look pathetic. Great additions, but again guys, we need to give a bit of time for this team to settle. Looking forward to my pie and coffee tom, and lets see where Andy fits in.

I do hope Lawrence goes straight in, IM plays Mallan, and we have the 3 young lads upfront. We are all in this for the long haul. Great signings and shows, wait for it...............................Ambition