Andy Webster

Think I will be joining the 'eat huge dollop of humble pie' society this evening. That was around two weeks we had the offer on the table and the longer it dragged on then the less likely I felt Webster would be coming. Happy to be proved horribly wrong. Probably a case of Andy having to think very carefully as this is potentially his last big move and needed to get it right.

He will bring much needed leadership and experience and I am certain Baird and Kelly will revel in playing alongside him. Part of my is now thinking that Murray may go with a back three with two wing backs. Time will tell.

Welcome to the greatest fitba team in the world, Andy. Really looking forward to tomorrow now and getting stuck into the Lavvytic cheats.

Always listen to me

Think I will be joining the 'eat huge dollop of humble pie' society this evening. That was around two weeks we had the offer on the table and the longer it dragged on then the less likely I felt Webster would be coming. Happy to be proved horribly wrong. Probably a case of Andy having to think very carefully as this is potentially his last big move and needed to get it right.

He will bring much needed leadership and experience and I am certain Baird and Kelly will revel in playing alongside him. Part of my is now thinking that Murray may go with a back three with two wing backs. Time will tell.

Welcome to the greatest fitba team in the world, Andy. Really looking forward to tomorrow now and getting stuck into the Lavvytic cheats.

You need a couple of athletes for wing back who can get up and down the pitch. Not sure we have these?

Average signing im not that excited solid defender at times but has his bombscare moments he will fit in fine

I'm not sure if Franco Baresi is playing any longer, but perhaps you should make a few enquiries.

FFS.

Edited by Drew

You want people to put yourself on ignore?

Well, I have!

Unfortunately, some folk still quote you.

Sometimes I just can't resist replying to your abuse though.

For someone who has posted so much anti board venom, your posts are quality irony.

Oh aye. You cnut.

he'snot a cnut, he's BIG MAN!

ETA, actually, he is both.

Edited by beyond our ken

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see the club and manager getting some good things said about them in the media , and well done Andy Webster for talking the club up !

Webster had other offers but felt right at home with the Buddies when he turned up to watch a game with his two sons and was invited in for a cuppa.

He said: “It was my decision to come to St Mirren.

“There were other opportunities elsewhere. But the manager had let me come in for training and I went to the Dumbarton game a couple of weeks ago with my boys.

"We were sat in the stand at about 20 past two and a guy said ‘Come in for a cup of tea’.

“It’s nice wee touches like that, things that probably go unnoticed at football clubs.

“I’ve felt at home from the start. Even with the manager allowing me to come in for training, I’ve found not many managers are as forthcoming and willing.

“So I’m delighted the manager here gave me the opportunity and after a while, having seen what the club was all about, I was delighted to sign.

“It’s a great bunch of boys, a talented team that I feel lucky to be a part of and I can come in and add a bit of experience.”

Veteran stopper Webster — who made his debut in last weekend’s draw against Livingston — was outstanding as the Paisley men claimed their first league win of the season.

He teed up Sean Kelly’s opener in the seventh minute by sending a corner from Stevie Mallan back into the box for the youngster to fire in.

Another old head, Stevie Thompson, grabbed No2 just before the half-hour mark, via a real gift from the Queens defence.

Jim Goodwin sent a long ball forward, Andy Dowie dithered and Thommo nipped in to round keeper Robbie Thomson and score.

Webster added: “The boys are happy because they’ve worked hard to get that victory and hopefully it’s some kind of platform for us to build on now.

“We’ve worked hard for the win and the boys deserved it.

“We played well, got ourselves two goals up in the first half and that gave us a great platform to see out the game.”

It's easy to be sceptical when players talk about having various options/offers on the table, but in Webster's case, it is hard to imagine that he wouldn't have had.

Signing a player with his pedigree and profile has been a major coup for the club. It seems that Murray played a key role in this, so hat off to him and all involved.

From the Evening Times ....

Andy Webster believes that he has the experience to help a young but talented group of players push for a play-off spot and possible promotion from an “extremely competitive” Scottish Championship.

The former Hearts and Dundee United defender rarely put a foot wrong as St Mirren finally kickstarted life under Ian Murray on Saturday with a 2-0 win away to fellow play-off hopefuls Queen of the South.

Webster, who nodded down a Stephen Mallan corner for Sean Kelly to slot home in the 6th minute, is getting his first taste of Scottish Championship football this season having spent most of his career in the country’s top flight before heading down south to experience the thrills of League One with Coventry City.

Having started training with St Mirren some three or four weeks ago, Webster has taken every opportunity to observe his new league rivals in action and has gauged the fierce level of competition waiting for him.

“I’ve seen a lot of Championship football and I know for sure that it is competitive,” said the 33-year-old centre back. “Whether it is a home match as it was last week or away to any of the sides in the league, we know that it is going to very competitive and very difficult.

“It was the same at Coventry to be fair. All of the sides in League One are hoping to be promoted. Obviously having been relegated last year St Mirren are hoping to go straight back up, but there are a lot of competitive teams in this league who will have the same ambitions.

“We’ve worked hard for the victory today and the boys deserve it. We will have to work just as hard in every match.”

Palmerston Park has a reputation as a difficult place for any side to visit and any manager is delighted to walk away from Dumfries with three points. In truth, though, St Mirren were in complete control after taking an early lead in Saturday’s match and much of the credit must go to Webster and his fellow defenders who kept Queens danger man Derek Lyle very quiet.

There should be little surprise at the classy display from Andy Webster. The surprising thing is that nobody higher up the food chain than St Mirren was chasing after his signature. Buddies boss Ian Murray admitted that he himself was surprised, but delighted, that he was able to persuade the centre back to join up with his squad as they seek promotion to the Premiership.

“I was surprised that nobody at a higher level took a gamble on him,” Murray admitted. “Actually, I shouldn’t say gamble because he is not a gamble in any way.

“You could see today that he is an excellent player. He reads the game exceptionally well, he battles, and he gets guys around him to fight for the points.”

Having decided that a return to Scotland was the best move for him and his family after an enjoyable change of scenery in Coventry, Webster was sold on the move to St Mirren after he joined the squad for training, despite offers coming in from elsewhere.

“It was my decision to come to St Mirren,” Webster insists. “There were other offers elsewhere, but the gaffer got me in for training here and I enjoyed it.

“That gave me a chance to see what the club is all about and I was delighted to sign. There is a great bunch of boys here. Obviously I come in and bring that little bit of experience that can help.”

Edit to Add: From the Evening Times. The Daily Ranger on-line had FIVE stories about the Buns but not even a match report for only one of a handful of games played on Saturday. Hope they go into administration soon in sympathy.

Edited by Sonny

Edit to Add: From the Evening Times. The Daily Ranger on-line had FIVE stories about the Buns but not even a match report for only one of a handful of games played on Saturday. Hope they go into administration soon in sympathy.

I thought the same but it is there. I typed st.mirren into the search bar and the match report came up. A bit ridiculous but that's the Daily Ranger for you

I thought the same but it is there. I typed st.mirren into the search bar and the match report came up. A bit ridiculous but that's the Daily Ranger for you

Apologies for misleading anyone Master Yoda but no apologies to the Daily Ranger. There was no direct link on their website to the game and the game was not listed under the 'Championship' link which did provide links to some of Saturdays Championship games but not ours. Shit paper.

Apologies for misleading anyone Master Yoda but no apologies to the Daily Ranger. There was no direct link on their website to the game and the game was not listed under the 'Championship' link which did provide links to some of Saturdays Championship games but not ours. Shit paper

I agree 100%. Maybe they'll make the same mistake with The Rangers next week....