Smisa And The Fans Council

TopCat

What's the difference?

May seem a stupid question I suppose, but I am not and never have been a member of either. However, I have been thinking of joining one of them.

Do they have different goals as organisations? Why can't they merge? Is anyone a member of both? If so, what ones better?:P

What's the difference?

May seem a stupid question I suppose, but I am not and never have been a member of either. However, I have been thinking of joining one of them.

Do they have different goals as organisations? Why can't they merge? Is anyone a member of both? If so, what ones better?tongue.png

2 different groups. SMiSA is a supporters trust set up and run by supporters and aids the club by providing financial help to the youth development side and the panda club, they also provided a £50k loan to help the club get the dome facility up and running.

The fans council were set up by the club and are a bridge between the club and the fans and also provide financial support to the youth side.

I have been a member of both and would say that SMiSA is the better option for anyone wishing to join either, because the club benefit more from SMiSA in my opinion.

What's the difference?

Do they have different goals as organisations? Why can't they merge? Is anyone a member of both? If so, what ones better?tongue.png

They have two totally different constitutions - check the respective websites to find out more about each.

SMiSA are currently negotiating a deal to buy the majority shareholding in the club along with Gordon Scott. They do however continue to provide finance to the youth set up and the panda club as they have always done.

smisa have been in existence for 14 years and were created to raise funds for st.mirren through membership and events for fans with the accent on affordability and inclusion. initially a lot of the funds raised were used to buy 'unissued' shares in the club, meaning the cash went into the club and the fans became shareholders in their own club. latterly however the club decided there were no more unissued shares available !

smisa is an industrial provident society and bound by legaly binding conditions and a democratic constitution, not for profit, and are required to submit accounts to the financial conduct authority etc etc

smisa has over 200 signed up members, any of these members can be elected (or unelected) form the trust board (committee) outwith the committee any member can get involved in as much or as little practically as they wish

every member pays a monthly subscription which currently stands at £10 per month, and this regular income is used for many purposes to the benefit of the club, the fans and the community.

smisa believe in fan representation on the st.mirren board, hence the share purchase

smisa was created by supporters for supporters

I was involved with the FC initially but personal time restraints limited my involvement so it would be unfair of me to try to elaborate on the FC

I would say however that I believe strongly in the principle of collective involvement of any club or group is a powerful driver and the success and strength of any club is reflective of its members passion and efforts and I have respect for anyone who contributes to the cause in any way

coys

Edited by thewhiteman

The Fans Council's aims and objectives are stated clearly on the website www.supportsmfc.co.uk

We aim to help the club in any way we can and offer our fellow supporters an avenue to connect to the club.

We celebrate our clubs history with evenings such as our Anglo Scotttish Cup legends evening .

We raise money for the club including the youth academy from events such as the recent annual golf day where we raised over £1.000.

We work with our future supporters , the children of our our fans in events such as the Topps day and open days.

We will work with whoever controls and owns St.Mirren but have no constitutional aims for Fans ownership.

We will try and provide better facilities for our loyal supporters by building a supporters club at the stadium.

What do we have in common with SMISA ?

We both only want the best for the future of our club.

• 5 weeks later...

Had a good chuckle this morning when an email from The fans council dropped in my,(and no doubt many others) inbox inviting me to either....

Tender for the relevant works to fit out the void.....

Or...

Donate my time, energy, skill and commitment to build a bar for the fan-boy memebers club clique.....

Hmmm which to choose, which to choose indeed?

• 4 weeks later...

Had a good chuckle this morning when an email from The fans council dropped in my,(and no doubt many others) inbox inviting me to either....

Tender for the relevant works to fit out the void.....

Or...

Donate my time, energy, skill and commitment to build a bar for the fan-boy memebers club clique.....

Hmmm which to choose, which to choose indeed?

I could raise your chuckle a hundred times over, suffice to say Fans council = BOD lackeys and they think the rank and file supporters are stupid.

Hopefully there is enough brain power out there for this NOT to turn into having a go at one or other individual...

This decision was taken by the club to have a members only set up. As with all their other hair-brained ideas of late this will come back to bite them on the arse big time if???

The members club ever opens!

And

When it runs from the outset at a loss, people lose interest, stop paying subs, real punters wont go because its like drinking down the community centre.

Can you imagine opening a pub in town, making people pay to use it, only letting 250 or so become members, only opening twenty times a year, and expecting to see profit!

Show me a pub that only targets 250 customers, and i will show somewhere that will be closed in short time.

you have a choice be a member or don't. Easy peesy lemon squeesey

There are usually 8 (season tkt holders) of us that meet around 1230 for a pint or two in town prior to home games. On a good few occasions we drag along not so regular supporters with us. The bar should be first come first served which would maximise revenue, not some dude arriving at 2.30 for a Dr Pepper then toddling round to the game, surely this is about raising money to help our club. Not a pop at the FC but just my opinion that current model is not the best one

There are usually 8 (season tkt holders) of us that meet around 1230 for a pint or two in town prior to home games. On a good few occasions we drag along not so regular supporters with us. The bar should be first come first served which would maximise revenue, not some dude arriving at 2.30 for a Dr Pepper then toddling round to the game, surely this is about raising money to help our club. Not a pop at the FC but just my opinion that current model is not the best one

Issue i assume is that in order to fund the fit out of the facility a lump sum is needed and that is not available form the current budgets which means that to fund the capital outlay they have decided to spread the cost via a members fee.

Not sure what alternative there is to doing it that way if the Clubs current account is not able to fund it.

This should have been installed prior to the move from Love St. Failing that it should have been built on the back of the cup runs in 2010 and 2013 rather than spunking the money away on paying off players early from their contracts.

Sometimes the BoD give an impression that they don't give a shit about the rank and file support unless they need to raise money for youth development or the dome.

Agreed (over when it should have been down) though as i recall it was basically a choice between Ralston fit out or stadium void fit out, though the argument could have been fit the stadium, earn the money, fit Ralston...hey presto after some graft you have both