Ian Murray Will Come Good

Far from being concerned about the start to the season i can see potential in what Murray is trying to do. The players are taking time to get used to the way Murray wants to play but the signs are there. We have not suffered any heavy defeats and have strengthened in key positions, in time we will stop shipping goals and turn these the narrow losses and draws into wins.

Don't know what signs you've seen exactly?

We don't have a settled team or a settled system. He chops and changes his players and formations regularly.

We have a good squad, most of his signings have been relatively good on paper.

The problem is the lack of a consistent game plan. The team isn't properly organised, and that's the managers fault.

Two tough games against QOTS and Falkirk now. He needs to start delivering wins, he couldn't do it in the 'easier' games against Dumbarton and Livi at home and away to the newly promoted team. Will he be able to do it against established top half of the Championship teams? All signs point to no. Wouldn't surprise me if we went into October still looking for our first league win.

Don't know what signs you've seen exactly?

We don't have a settled team or a settled system. He chops and changes his players and formations regularly.

We have a good squad, most of his signings have been relatively good on paper.

The problem is the lack of a consistent game plan. The team isn't properly organised, and that's the managers fault.

Two tough games against QOTS and Falkirk now. He needs to start delivering wins, he couldn't do it in the 'easier' games against Dumbarton and Livi at home and away to the newly promoted team. Will he be able to do it against established top half of the Championship teams? All signs point to no. Wouldn't surprise me if we went into October still looking for our first league win.

What he has done is get a good solid squad assembled, it's a real pity that Naismith and then his replacement Watson got injured. However the difference between Murray and his predecessors is we haven't signed the likes of Ball, Arquinn, Caldwell, Benhonking, Marwood etc etc.

Yes we are struggling at present however we have built our foundation on a strong base which has good potential for improvement. I hope and believe that we will come good.

He has to be given longer. I'm not yet convinced , but previously successful managers had horrendous starts , when line-ups and tactics were tinkered with !

I know I always hark back to the olden days , but Fergie didn't set the heather on fire initially either , he brought a group of his own players in straight away , but his first 12 games were W2 D4 L6. Murray must get more time.

What he has done is get a good solid squad assembled, it's a real pity that Naismith and then his replacement Watson got injured. However the difference between Murray and his predecessors is we haven't signed the likes of Ball, Arquinn, Caldwell, Benhonking, Marwood etc etc.

Yes we are struggling at present however we have built our foundation on a strong base which has good potential for improvement. I hope and believe that we will come good.

Well you don't know how his signings will work out. Pretty sure at least one of his signings will be mutual consented by January, most likely Gow.

The signings of Langfield, Carswell and Webster all look good on paper. But again, all that matters is results, and Murray isn't getting them despite having a run of relatively easy fixtures. It won't take many more bad results for the fans to start really getting on his back, just like what happened with TC last season.

Well you don't know how his signings will work out. Pretty sure at least one of his signings will be mutual consented by January, most likely Gow.

The signings of Langfield, Carswell and Webster all look good on paper. But again, all that matters is results, and Murray isn't getting them despite having a run of relatively easy fixtures. It won't take many more bad results for the fans to start really getting on his back, just like what happened with TC last season.

Can't disagree with the above however time will tell and I'm hopeful that we will come good. As for Gow let's wait and see before we completely write him off.

There are no easy fixture in this league. It is the toughest of the 4 leagues. St Mirren had no easy games in the SPL and none in this league. Smaller teams like Alloa and, has just been realised, Dumbarton will raise their game. Morton is never easy as we found out. We need to go into every game fully prepared team and tactic wise and all will be tough. Yes, we may have better players than some but unless the manager gets the best out of them it counts for little.

Think we can add Thommo as excess this year, he has lost any pace he had, which wasn't a lot. One Webster gets settled we can also get shot of Jim G, don't know why we stick by him, slow and a liability , Murray is trying to create a pace team, I have faith, but from last years squad I would have done a 100% clearout which exceptions of Mallan, Sean and Naisy, rest are total rank

There are no easy fixture in this league. It is the toughest of the 4 leagues. St Mirren had no easy games in the SPL and none in this league. Smaller teams like Alloa and, has just been realised, Dumbarton will raise their game. Morton is never easy as we found out. We need to go into every game fully prepared team and tactic wise and all will be tough. Yes, we may have better players than some but unless the manager gets the best out of them it counts for little.

The toughest of the 4 leagues? :huh:

I'm pretty sure the top flight is tougher, you don't get part time teams in the top flight. Alloa are hopeless incidentally, they've lost every single game this season and are already out both cups.

We do have a good squad, the third best in the league IMO. The problem is there's no organisation or game plan from the manager. As such, teams who have worse players than we do but who are better organised (Livi and Dumbarton) can come to Paisley and beat us, and they both have done.

The 3 home games agains Championship opposition this season have been 3 of the worst home performances I've ever seen from us.

However, any notion that the managers job is in peril at the moment is ridiculous. As with any new manager, he should be given at least half a season to get it right, and he will be. If we are still in the bottom half around Christmas that's when serious questions about his future need to be asked.

Edited by TopCat

Far from being concerned about the start to the season i can see potential in what Murray is trying to do.

I'm not convinced that Murray even knows what he is doing!

As TC points out, he has not only choped and changed his line up every game, he's chopped and changed the formation and tactics from game to game. Indeed, he's chopped and changed the formation and tactics within games.

I get the horrible feeling that he's making it up as he goes along.

The toughest of the 4 leagues? huh.png

I'm pretty sure the top flight is tougher, you don't get part time teams in the top flight. Alloa are hopeless incidentally, they've lost every single game this season and are already out both cups.

We do have a good squad, the third best in the league IMO. The problem is there's no organisation or game plan from the manager. As such, teams who have worse players than we do but who are better organised (Livi and Dumbarton) can come to Paisley and beat us, and they both have done.

The 3 home games agains Championship opposition this season have been 3 of the worst home performances I've ever seen from us.

However, any notion that the managers job is in peril at the moment is ridiculous. As with any new manager, he should be given to at least half a season. If we are still in the bottom half around Christmas that's when serious questions about his future need to be asked.

TC, your usually a fairly grounded cat but can we not agree that Murray inherited total sh!t, and therefore had to get in a goalie, a defence, a midfield and a strikeforce, which he has done. For years Saints have struggled last year was just us peaking, I agree our performances look like a team finding a way to play, but they will

Ned...!

Is that a slight dig at the Miraculous Mr Murray there in your last sentence..?

When Ned starts dissing the manager you know he must a clueless fecker.

Ned...!

Is that a slight dig at the Miraculous Mr Murray there in your last sentence..?

When Ned starts dissing the manager you know he must a clueless fecker.

No, not a dig but a statement that could be levied at any manager in that having the better players is no guarantee of success. There many more variables to consider such as injuries, players settling in, bad luck etc.

Far too early to know whether Murray is the right appointment but I am prepared to give him time to prove he is the right man to manage our club.

No, not a dig but a statement that could be levied at any manager in that having the better players is no guarantee of success. There many more variables to consider such as injuries, players settling in, bad luck etc.

Far too early to know whether Murray is the right appointment but I am prepared to give him time to prove he is the right man to manage our club.

You missed "clueless fecker" from the variables to consider Ned.

Lets hope he has got something right by Saturday, I don't want to fell embarrassed for him in Dumfries.

Signings that Murray has made which have yet to look good one month into the season: Thompson, Gow, Conlan, Agnew, Carswell, while Howieson is looking like he could become the new Aaron Mooy. Given the number of signings we have made since Murray took over a high proportion have yet to prove they will do a job for us this season and its a bit early to boast Murray hasn't signed duds like DL, TC or GT.

Signings that Murray has made which have yet to look good one month into the season: Thompson, Gow, Conlan, Agnew, Carswell, while Howieson is looking like he could become the new Aaron Mooy. Given the number of signings we have made since Murray took over a high proportion have yet to prove they will do a job for us this season and its a bit early to boast Murray hasn't signed duds like DL, TC or GT.

Ahhhh the old hindsight patter.

Well with a bit of foresight I would say that he has on paper signed the best players available to him and he has had the patience to wait for the likes of Langfield, Webster and Shankland.

Yes they could all be duds however if you look at the majority of the reactions to these signings the reaction has been positive. Every signing is a risk, even Sir Alex signed Djemba Djemba.

As for me boasting I wasn't. I was giving my opinion that they are good signings. I could be wrong with the benefit of hindsight.