Ian Murray Will Come Good

It would be just like St Mirren to beat HIbs next week, up until yesterday we have been decent away from home. Let's hope yesterday was a blip and we can get our first home win of the season.

Unless Hibs have a total off day then there is no chance we'll beat them. They are on a winning streak and we are utter pish to be quite honest and that won't change until we get a new manager.

Putting aside the argument over whether or not he should be sacked, the bit in bold is why he won't be. We simply can't afford it. He's got a two year contract, I'm assuming Spalding has too, plus we're probably still having to make up the budget for whatever pay-offs Craig and Teale got as well as the minimal compensation to Dumbarton for Murray. It ain't going to happen unless we have an unexpected windfall such as flogging Mallan for a few hundred grand in January - and that's more likely to be used to patch up other budget deficits than help deal with new ones.

As an aside, has any assistant manager got as much flack as Spalding when things have been going badly? Seems a tad unfair to me - buck stops with Murray as far as I'm concerned.

It wouldn't cost us any additional money to get rid of Murray and Spalding. Would just need to put them on gardening leave and keep paying them.

Our wage bill would stay the same as it at the moment.

I heard, from a generally reliable source, a while back that the BOD had inserted a performance clause of some description into Murray's contract, which seems like a fairly sensible move when taking a punt on someone with limited experience.

Now, I've no idea if this story is true or indeed what the criteria around "performance" would be but you've got to imagine that no home wins by Christmas and being in the bottom two would certainly be right up there?

With only two home games until Santa comes (Morton & QOS) it's entirely possible that the above could be the case and if so, Murray should certainly be dismissed, performance clause or not, if indeed we can afford to wait that long.

I heard, from a generally reliable source, a while back that the BOD had inserted a performance clause of some description into Murray's contract, which seems like a fairly sensible move when taking a punt on someone with limited experience.

Now, I've no idea if this story is true or indeed what the criteria around "performance" would be but you've got to imagine that no home wins by Christmas and being in the bottom two would certainly be right up there?

With only two home games until Santa comes (Morton & QOS) it's entirely possible that the above could be the case and if so, Murray should certainly be dismissed, performance clause or not, if indeed we can afford to wait that long.

Thins kind of fits in with what Murray said at the Q&A night, something along the lines of "We know that if we're sitting second bottom come Christmas, we won't be here".

Putting aside the argument over whether or not he should be sacked, the bit in bold is why he won't be. We simply can't afford it. He's got a two year contract, I'm assuming Spalding has too, plus we're probably still having to make up the budget for whatever pay-offs Craig and Teale got as well as the minimal compensation to Dumbarton for Murray. It ain't going to happen unless we have an unexpected windfall such as flogging Mallan for a few hundred grand in January - and that's more likely to be used to patch up other budget deficits than help deal with new ones.

As an aside, has any assistant manager got as much flack as Spalding when things have been going badly? Seems a tad unfair to me - buck stops with Murray as far as I'm concerned.

Let's be fair here. As far as I'm aware no bid has actually been made by SMiSA/Gordon Scott as of yet. There's a proposal being worked on and I'd imagine it would need to show there is significant interest from the fans (as with 10000Hours having to show membership numbers) before they are even close to putting an offer on the table.

On the contrary, a bid has been tabled, that is common knowledge. SMISA conducted a survey to gauge fan interest in a buyout, the bid was then made on the strength of the survey results, SMISA and Gordon Scott are being completely fair (in light of our current situation, overly fair) yet the board who want out are not interested. This seems to me that Douglas street ltd, are seeking more than they are worth for shares with a nominal value 50p each,

Edited by buddiecat

The candidates from within: Thompson, Goodwin, Longwell, possibly Webster.

None of those candidates fill me with optimism. Perhaps Longwell would be able to get the best out of the young players at least.

Longwell is a definete no for me.

I can't see Goodwin ever getting the job to be honest, I actually think he would be the better option, I just wonder if there's too much previous with the board...

As for Thommo, as much as the guy is a legend, I just can't see him as manager. Out of curiosity ( and this may be wrong) but I can't think off top off head many strikers who have went onto have great managerial careers, Mark Hughes springs to mind in the Premiership and McIntyre has done a good job at Ross County.

That's the point, the replacement would be an internal promotion.

So it wouldn't be any higher.

Internal promotion you say, that has worked well over the last 2 seasons - no it hasn't, there are no experienced managers within our ranks and nobody from those ranks should be given the managers job, someone from the ranks to work alongside an experienced manager for a few years and then become manager might be a good thing though.

Internal promotion you say, that has worked well over the last 2 seasons - no it hasn't, there are no experienced managers within our ranks and nobody from those ranks should be given the managers job, someone from the ranks to work alongside an experienced manager for a few years and then become manager might be a good thing though.

We can't afford to sack Murray and add another wage.

An internal promotion is the only realistic option.

Experience isn't necessary to become a success. Neil, Monk, Guardiola etc all did okay in their first jobs.

On the contrary, a bid of £750k has been tabled, that is common knowledge. SMISA conducted a survey to gauge fan interest in a buyout, the bid was then made on the strength of the survey results, SMISA and Gordon Scott are being completely fair (in light of our current situation, overly fair) yet the board who want out are not interested. This seems to me that Douglas street ltd, are seeking more than £750k for shares with a nominal value 50p each, they have approx., 100k shares, £500k for those shares would be a steal for them never mind £750k, why are they not even saying no to this offer. I can only guess at their reasons for not accepting or refusing the deal, and my guess would be that they are earning more or expecting to earn more than the amount of the bid, why else would they not accept £750k ?

Will take your word for it.

Edited by Stu

Murray is pish and needs to go as soon as iMO! I don't think the board will spend usually with a club in this position I would say we need an experienced manager!

But we actually have a decent squad we should be in the top half of the league and well away from relegation... But because of Murrays incompetence we find our selfs equal bottom of the league!

If or when we do sack Murray the board will probably take the cheap option and promote from within!

The names on that list will include Jim Goodwin,Stevie Thompson,Jamie Langfeild and possibly Andy Webster.

Talk of Longwell is just stupid a man that's never played professional football who hasn't got particularly good record of results or profit from his Young player's!

Goodwin's didn't cut the mustard last year as a coach so probably not him!

I would love Thommo to be St.Mirren manager but mybe not just now!

My choice would be Andy Webster till the end of the season!

With the team we have even a first time manager should have no problems keeping this team in the Championship!

Again the worrying thing though end of October AGAIN and our season's a right off!

Lets hope the board learn from last season and act soon because with Murray as manager we run the risk of relegation!

Webster or Thommo would be my top choices!

I do not believe our squad is as good as others seem to think. We signed several players who are simply not good enough and some who are journeymen. Young guys in our Development squad (Stewart and Morgan) are as good as if not better than some players we have signed.

If I managed Falkirk for example I would not be casting envious eyes at our squad. 3-2 away and 3-0 at home would suggest to me I had a better squad.

That being said we are not getting enough out of the players we do have. Shankland has a great pedigree but cannot get a game as we only have one tactic which is a long ball to Thommo. Management have to take responsibility for the tactics, personnel, and attitude of the team but our squad is unbalanced and severely lacking in some positions but we could be doing a hell of a lot better with what we have.

I agree that some of our signings are not up to scratch. However here is some of the honours and experience that we do have in this year's squad and I'm not sure that lots of other Championship clubs can match our squad's "pedigree on paper".

Jamie Langfield - 10 seasons in the SPL, 1 Scotland B cap, regular Scotland squad member, Scottish Cup winner 2014

Keith Watson - 123 appearances in SPL for Dundee United, Scottish Cup Winner 2010

Jason Naismith - 2 seasons in SPL with St Mirren, represented Scotland at U17, U20 and U21 levels.

Sean Kelly - 2 seasons in SPL with St Mirren, 1 Scotland U21 appearance in 2014.

Andy Webster - 7 seasons at Hearts in the SPL, 1 with Dundee United, Scottish Cup Winner in 2010 and 2012, 28 Scotland caps

Jim Goodwin, 4 seasons in SPL with St Mirren, League Cup winner in 2013, capped for Republic of Ireland at U16, U21, B level and 1 full cap.

Steven Thompson almost 200 SPL appearances with Dundee United and Rangers, and 4 seasons with St Mirren in SPL, Scottish Cup winner 2003, SPL winner 2005, Scottish League Cup winner 2005 and 2013, Scotland international.

Stevie Mallan, 1 season in SPL with St Mirren, 1 Young Player of the month award in SPL, 1 goal of the season award.

throw in also having Shankland signed from Aberdeen, Gallagher from Rangers first team squad and McMullen from Celtic development squad and a few promising guys like Morgan, McLear and Stewart from our own development squad and I don't think we can complain about our squad depth for this level.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Why is it that it was only the ordinary St.Mirren Supporters (The clubs biggest asset) that attended yesterdays match along with commercial manager Campbell Kennedy, albeit their was also 11 men dressed up as St.Mirren Football players and a person dressed up as a football manager of St.Mirren, but then again it was Halloween. Their did not appear to be any of St.Mirren,s BOD,s.

Gus Macpherson did okay after getting promoted to manager internally mid season with no managerial experience while fighting against relegation.

Edited by nosferatu

I agree that some of our signings are not up to scratch. However here is some of the honours and experience that we do have in this year's squad and I'm not sure that lots of other Championship clubs can match our squad's "pedigree on paper".

Jamie Langfield - 10 seasons in the SPL, 1 Scotland B cap, regular Scotland squad member, Scottish Cup winner 2014

Keith Watson - 123 appearances in SPL for Dundee United, Scottish Cup Winner 2010

Jason Naismith - 2 seasons in SPL with St Mirren, represented Scotland at U17, U20 and U21 levels.

Sean Kelly - 2 seasons in SPL with St Mirren, 1 Scotland U21 appearance in 2014.

Andy Webster - 7 seasons at Hearts in the SPL, 1 with Dundee United, Scottish Cup Winner in 2010 and 2012, 28 Scotland caps

Jim Goodwin, 4 seasons in SPL with St Mirren, League Cup winner in 2013, capped for Republic of Ireland at U16, U21, B level and 1 full cap.

Steven Thompson almost 200 SPL appearances with Dundee United and Rangers, and 4 seasons with St Mirren in SPL, Scottish Cup winner 2003, SPL winner 2005, Scottish League Cup winner 2005 and 2013, Scotland international.

Stevie Mallan, 1 season in SPL with St Mirren, 1 Young Player of the month award in SPL, 1 goal of the season award.

throw in also having Shankland signed from Aberdeen, Gallagher from Rangers first team squad and McMullen from Celtic development squad and a few promising guys like Morgan, McLear and Stewart from our own development squad and I don't think we can complain about our squad depth for this level.

Hey, I am not saying they are all poor players in the squad but our squad isn't as great as some suggest. I know about the credentials of the above but we need some perspective. I am aware of for example, Thommos pedigree, however would this 37 year old be an automatic pick for Rangers, Hibs or Falkirk this season? I do no think so. Naismith I rate highly but he is out until March. Watson has a long history of injuries and possibly won't kick a ball again for us. On his game I think he is a decent player but he is with as as no-one else would risk signing him. Conlan is an u21 internationalist but does that make him a good player with us? Or Howieson is a New Zealand internationalist but has been very poor with us. We struggle to find a good first eleven most weeks as we do not have enough decent midfielders for example. I do rate guys like Stewart and Morgan but our squad has deficiencies as our league placing indicates.

Why is it that it was only the ordinary St.Mirren Supporters (The clubs biggest asset) that attended yesterdays match along with commercial manager Campbell Kennedy, albeit their was also 11 men dressed up as St.Mirren Football players and a person dressed up as a football manager of St.Mirren, but then again it was Halloween. Their did not appear to be any of St.Mirren,s BOD,s.

The board are tired and were maybe still in bed.