Ian Murray Will Come Good

Oh , you`re comparing Murray to Jose Mourinho ? :1eye You`ve been at the cooking sherry !!:guinness

No, I am simply comparing him against equally struggling managers whose team has started badly. It is far too early to talk relegation as some have done after 6 league games. It was always going to take time to get a fairly new team playing as a unit and Murray adapting to managing at a full time club. If it is as bad by end of October then it will be up to the Board to make key decisions. I am not happy with our performance but will give him more time.

I actually thought in the first half on Saturday it looked like everything was clicking and Murray had found his best team, we looked dangerous going forward and controlled the game. But then Mcmullen got injured and it all seemed to go wrong from there.

Spot on Buddie. That's what I saw.

You know when a manager is shite when the old 'individual errors' defence gets trotted out! :lol:

Murray must go.

Let's assume he did go, who would replace him? Come on, give us some names? Also, who the feck would want a job here you only have months to sort everything out? No, I am not happy with our start but not going to panic yet.

Us "fans" have had it tough at home , pretty much since we won League cup, that's 9 league wins in about 50 starts.

But again, we need time. I know 99.9% on here support Saints whatever, but even the hardcore are wanting a good few victories, on Saturday its showed us in both lights. I agree Paul McM coming off was a big blow, but fact is, 2nd half we backed off. I am positive Murray didn't say, we are 2 up, lets defend on our 18 yrd box.

IMHO, we still don't have a direction, we don't have structure, yes I think Murray will get going but its going to be a rocky road. We have to support, but there is nothing wrong with venting frustration, 2nd half was as poor as the first half was good

A game of two halves, and Saturday fully demonstrated the importance of momentum.

I thought we looked very comfortable in the first half, and was surprised by how toothless Falkirk were. The McMullen injury was a huge blow.

They came out in the second half, played far more directly and put the defence under a lot of pressure. They had nothing to lose but we should have been able to cope with that and have to be in the future. We can't seem to keep the ball for decent spells, and were reduced to using Gallagher's pace. I was impressed with Shankland's strength and aggression when he came on.

I thought the Mark Kerr foul on Goodwin was especially interesting from the ref. In the context of what he booked players for before and after the incident, it should have been a second booking. The ref knew it would have been a red card and decided not to book him. Houston knew it as well and took him straight off. It was 2-1 at that point, if they went down to 10 men then the momentum would likely have changed back to us.

Maybe I'm a bit jaundiced by the fact that I now associate Greenhill Road with defeats and disappointment, but I wasn't that upset about Saturday (I was more concerned after the Dumbarton and Livingston games, where I didn't see much from us at all). I thought we looked far better than I've seen us this season in that first half, but there's no doubt that we have to be a lot better and smarter than we were in the second half.

What I did notice second half was that every time we got the ball up to Thommo he always had a man right up his back, but when Falkirk played a ball forward we were standing off their strikers giving them time to control and play a pass or turn. It was a similiar story against Dumbarton and Livingstone, we have to be more physical, we can't rely on Goodwin to be the only physical player in Midfield.

I've steered clear of the forums since Saturday as I kind of knew what I would find.

I missed the QoS game as I was away but apart from that I've been to every game this season to date and on Saturday, for me anyway, the performance was night and day to what I had seen previously.

Sure we lost the game, we capitulated badly in the second half, and it was another defeat and another disappointing day at home.........

The upside for me though was that we finally started looking like a team. The performance for the first 45 minutes was very good, completely solid base with plenty of attacking threat. We were well worthy of the two goal lead and that was despite losing McMullan through a ridiculous challenge that could easily have been a red.

The second half I would concede was very disappointing but it really is very fine lines we are dealing with. A couple of good chances for us just didn't quite fall kindly to us, and then we totally gift them a penalty at 2-1 just when we looked like re-gaining control of the game.

It was a boot in the balls we didn't really recover from, however reflecting on the game on Saturday I definitely felt there were some real positives to take into the game on Friday.

We must stop shooting ourselves in the foot. The three penalties we have lost at home were all stone wallers, and combined have cost us at least five points just looking at the final scores.

If we can keep on the front foot and keep scoring goals (we have only failed to score once this season, ironically on a day we also managed a rare clean sheet outselves) then personally I think we are in for a reasonable league campaign and 3rd or 4th is far from beyond us.

Maybe I'm just a happy clapper, but I genuinley don't share the same doom and gloom as many others do. Not yet anyway.

Would agree up to a point Div. The two substitutions were poor though. Particularly the second one. Taking off a midfielder when we were being over run was very odd. As mentioned by others the lack of an out ball at corners is a frustrating tactic. What's the point of having Stevie Mallan on the front post? The season could still go either way as the team is so unpredictable and lacking in confidence.

I've steered clear of the forums since Saturday as I kind of knew what I would find.

I missed the QoS game as I was away but apart from that I've been to every game this season to date and on Saturday, for me anyway, the performance was night and day to what I had seen previously.

Sure we lost the game, we capitulated badly in the second half, and it was another defeat and another disappointing day at home.........

The upside for me though was that we finally started looking like a team. The performance for the first 45 minutes was very good, completely solid base with plenty of attacking threat. We were well worthy of the two goal lead and that was despite losing McMullan through a ridiculous challenge that could easily have been a red.

The second half I would concede was very disappointing but it really is very fine lines we are dealing with. A couple of good chances for us just didn't quite fall kindly to us, and then we totally gift them a penalty at 2-1 just when we looked like re-gaining control of the game.

It was a boot in the balls we didn't really recover from, however reflecting on the game on Saturday I definitely felt there were some real positives to take into the game on Friday.

We must stop shooting ourselves in the foot. The three penalties we have lost at home were all stone wallers, and combined have cost us at least five points just looking at the final scores.

If we can keep on the front foot and keep scoring goals (we have only failed to score once this season, ironically on a day we also managed a rare clean sheet outselves) then personally I think we are in for a reasonable league campaign and 3rd or 4th is far from beyond us.

Maybe I'm just a happy clapper, but I genuinley don't share the same doom and gloom as many others do. Not yet anyway.

Aye, this mirrors my thoughts.

Had we been abysmal throughout the match on Saturday, I would be more worried. Certainly, the second half was ridiculous, but there was enough on display in the first to suggest progress (not least after a good result and performance the previous weekend).

As I have said elsewhere, I think Murray is guilty of naivety. I don't, however, agree with others who have decided that he is clueless. The sub for McMullan was clearly not the correct option, but he will hopefully realise that now. I'm sure he would have preferred not to have been in the position of having to make it at all.

Things can swing easily in matches. Falkirk had the bit between their teeth from early in the second half and we sat too deep. That can be addressed. I'm convinced we aren't far away now. We have a good squad, and there are green shoots of progress.

Had we been abysmal throughout the match on Saturday, I would be more worried. Certainly, the second half was ridiculous, but there was enough on display in the first to suggest progress (not least after a good result and performance the previous weekend).

As I have said elsewhere, I think Murray is guilty of naivety. I don't, however, agree with others who have decided that he is clueless. The sub for McMullan was clearly not the correct option, but he will hopefully realise that now. I'm sure he would have preferred not to have been in the position of having to make it at all.

Things can swing easily in matches. Falkirk had the bit between their teeth from early in the second half and we sat too deep. That can be addressed. I'm convinced we aren't far away now. We have a good squad, and there are green shoots of progress.

Too true, had Falkirk not come from 2-0 behind to beat us with the last kick of the ball i reckon we might have got a draw out of that stick on three points? Still Murray will likely have the rest of the season to continue to be "Unlucky" with.

One of the biggest worries for me is that the entire team is poor at tackling. Jim Goodwin is terrified to tackle and the rest don't know how to. Hence all the penalties and fouls in dangerous areas. Scott Agnew relies 100% on nicking the ball and is caught out too often.

Drew. share your thoughts Morgan should have been on for McMullan and Thompson should have been subbed on the hour mark.For me Murray made a number of errors but then he is a young manager learning his trade and this is where I feel he requires a good experienced coach beside him not his current assistant.I do not agree we have a balanced squad in my view we are lacking solid pros in the age group 23 to 29 who are at their peak.Finally Webster should be appointed captain without further ado since Thompson should be used more sparingly perhaps as an impact player.

Message to div & Drew - Time is not on IM's side if we're to avoid this season becoming a write-off.

I don't think it's close to being a write-off yet. There has been definite progress in the last couple of weeks and hopefully this continues. I genuinely thought at half time on Saturday that he'd cracked it and a lot of Saints Fans probably would agree with this.

Yes, he'll rightly shoulder a large portion of the responsibility and in the immediate aftermath I was raging but I saw a lot more to be concerned with in the first two league games than I did on Saturday.

That's not to say there was nothing to concern me on Saturday. There was absolutely no reason for us to sit and invite pressure from a team we had comprehensively dominated in the first half and allow them to build belief by letting them be an attacking threat. The subs were bizarre considering we had better options on the bench. His insistence on urging his players to break out from corners, rather than keeping one or two men up the park and drawing opposition bodies out from our box was infuriating as well.

I actually thought in the first half on Saturday it looked like everything was clicking and Murray had found his best team, we looked dangerous going forward and controlled the game. But then Mcmullen got injured and it all seemed to go wrong from there.

Same view here, though would say a poor choice of replacement was as much to blame as soon as there was no pace to our attack down our right side their left back came into the game and caused Watson problems which meant that Baird wasn't getting any protection. If Morgan had been brought on and Gallacher moved right then their defender would have had to think about defending.

This time last year, we had a manager pulling wool over everyones eyes, we had just won at Thistle after 5 losses no goals and no clue. Yes I would love 15 points on board, but fact is our best 3 performances have been QOS , Sevco and Falkirk first half, its going to happen maybe not as soon as we would like, but every week we will get stronger.

Oh and Raith is not a "must win"

Edited by DougJamie

Too true, had Falkirk not come from 2-0 behind to beat us with the last kick of the ball i reckon we might have got a draw out of that stick on three points? Still Murray will likely have the rest of the season to continue to be "Unlucky" with.

Did I say anywhere that he was unlucky?