Schools Forcing Parents To Make Donations

oaksoft

What the local primary schools have been doing here for a while is , tell the weans that they can wear what they want the following day (usually a Friday) , as long as the wean brings a £1 with them for some charity that the head teacher fancies. .

Not okay . .

The pupils choose the charities in our school.

Edited by FTOF

How a certain person on here thinks that one set of politicians is less bright, worse and more immoral than all the others is what eludes me.

You'd need to ask StuD, he's the only one who seems to believe this to be the case.

Well...

A certain person has not, so far, posted in this thread.

My point stands.

How people cling to that fallacy eludes me.

:P

What the local primary schools have been doing here for a while is , tell the weans that they can wear what they want the following day (usually a Friday) , as long as the wean brings a £1 with them for some charity that the head teacher fancies. .

Not okay . .

This is certainly true. There's another means of extortion as well going on at schools these days where the school trips get ever more exotic every year. For every 10 parents that has to fork out £1500 to send their little darling on the school trip to New York these days a teacher gets a free trip. Not a bad little perk - non taxable too.

I'm not sure what sort of response Oaksoft believed he would get from me on this topic though. Should I be shocked and outraged? I've already posted that I think the current way we run education devalues it. Parents and pupils think their education is free and therefore they don't demand high standards in return. In reality we all pay for our education through the tax system but if the taxes were collected and then given out in equal shares to UK Resident UK Citizens to then purchase their families Health Care package and their childs education we'd soon see far higher demands and expectations of those services.

As for these schools in these articles, I guess we can assume they must be "good" schools with a record of attaining "good" results. If it wasn't then surely the parents would just respond with a simple "get tae f**k"!

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Nope not in bad old Scotland run by the bad old SNP but in Tory-run England.

This is what happens when you allow the education system to be run by the Tories:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34129659

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31854113

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26990727

my brother,who lives in bristol is all for it,,,,he has donated his 2 kids to the system,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whistling.gif

This is certainly true. There's another means of extortion as well going on at schools these days where the school trips get ever more exotic every year. For every 10 parents that has to fork out £1500 to send their little darling on the school trip to New York these days a teacher gets a free trip. Not a bad little perk - non taxable too.

Take a group of teenagers on holiday. I'd need another holiday. No idea how teachers do it.

I don't know if this is typical but my son is encouraged to write mini-reports on books he has read by his school's English Department. At the start of the current term he asked if the school could borrow my copy of Lord of the Flies.

For the record I said yeah they could have it and just to keep it.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I don't know if this is typical but my son is encouraged to write mini-reports on books he has read by his school's English Department. At the start of the current term he asked if the school could borrow my copy of Lord of the Flies.

When I was at school , you had to read that creepy tosh as part of 4th year English and you were to get all philosophical about the book . .

Hello again Bud, I finally hung up my chalk last year but have seen school budgets shrink steadily over the last 8-ish years due to the Scottish government's freeze on council tax.

Hello again Bud, I finally hung up my chalk last year but have seen school budgets shrink steadily over the last 8-ish years due to the Scottish government's freeze on council tax massive tory cuts on public services.

FIFY.

I can't imagine how you "forgot" to leave that out.

Edited by FTOF

Don't know what goes on in Scotland but parents contributing here in Northern Ireland and in England certainly isn't new. It's been going on for donkey's years and isn't news. However, I've got no doubt it's on the increase. I've been a governor of a school here for years, and as chair of the finance committee have seen how budgets are being trimmed. Parets are asked to help but it can't be made compulsory. There is still a grammar school system here despite the fact that technically it is illegal. The education department could stop funding them but don't have the balls to do it despite the fact that Sinn Fein control it and they are utterly opposed to grammar schools. That's thanks to the D'Hondt system of PR so if you're a believer in PR, be warned. Over here now the transfer test, or what was known as the 'quali' in my day, is now effectively privatised and parents who want their kids to go to a grammar school have to stump up. Doesn't stop them. My wife sat her quali in 1970 which was apparently the last year it was done in Scotland, or certainly in Dunbartonshire. It didn't stop the world going round but I'm in no position to judge whether it was a backward step.

If anyone is still reading, I'll tell you something I've been involved in this year. The school I'm a governor of is Bangor Central Integrated Primary School. We became integrated in late 1999 and that's when I got involved as I believe strongly in integrated education. Now, unfortunately, the Catholic church is implaccably opposed to Integration in education.. The bishops kicked up merry hell and literally threatened the headmasters of all the Catholic Maintained schools here about playing ball. Thankfully a lot of parents didn't care what the bishops said so we have Catholic pupils in our school. And Muslims. And Jews. And Hindus. But here's the extraordinary thing. There is a very good Catholic High School in Bangor, St.Columbanus. One of my daughters went to it although we are not Catholics. But now it is getting more and more difficult to find a place in secondary schools. It means that quotas get filled up quickly. St.Columbanus now have a system of preference for selection of pupils and because the church is opposed to integrated education, Catholic pupils from our school are being refused admission yet they are accepting Protestant children from further afield. I should add that in Bangor, the population is mainly Protestant so Catholic schools do admit other religions or the school would not be financially viable. Yet pupils from our school who get all the sacraments of the Catholic Church and their teachers and our headmaster go to their First Communion and so on, won't be admitted. It's a crazy world.